Teal Sound Ends Tour

Oh wow! I just saw them in Jackson, NJ a few days ago. This is painful and it sucks. I feel bad for the organization, but most of all, for the members. I would not feel great about having to go back home in the middle of tour. I don't know the entire circumstances behind the decision so I won't comment negatively or positively, but good luck to all the members who won't have the opportunity to finish tour with Teal Sound.

Yes you did, but did you actually even care that Teal Sound was there at the show in the first place? devil.gif

I re-quote you from the Action Jackson thread.

"Just got back from the show and I'm tired. I didn't get a chance to see all the corps from the stands because I ran into some people I marched with and I spent most of the night shooting the #### with them. So all I got to see was Crown and Cadets from the stands."

Edited by Dave
filter circumvention - ds
  • Like 4

Anyone not aware that Teal (or any other corps) is in need of contributions is not paying attention. Just curious how much you donated to Teal's cause this year? Past years? ANY years?

I can see the Facebook post: "We're on our last legs! Please donate now so we can finish our tour!" Yea, that would be real good PR for the corps.

And the alternative, ending the tour and the season for the members WAS good PR?

• Like 1

I was under the impression that DCI did make an effort to eyeball Corps' finances over the winter. The motivation for this being what happened last year at Finals. Teal released a statement (after the bus company fiasco) that they had to disclose their finances to DCI to prove that they were financially viable before heading out on tour.

Anyone else see that? I hope my mind isn't fuzzy on this. A little help please?

Edited by RetiredJedi

I completely agree with most of your post. Color me skeptical whenever I hear people try to defer blame from an administration.

As for "finding out the truth," though, I'm not sure what you're implying. I'm pretty confident no one is getting rich off the corpse of a non-profit organization.

If the truth is what they actually want this is a good thing. Unfortunately, I have seen these turn into Salem style witch hunts in the name of the "children" where the truth is secondary.

Good luck to them... Sad situation.

Edited by SCVsopAaron

The story as I understand it is that the original bus company busted the contract and has not refunded the money back to Teal. This has caused a cash flow nightmare while the Corps is out on tour now. The money is out there but Teal doesn't have it back yet. So, yes, the money will be available. Eventually. (If this is incorrect then it changes how I feel about it.)

Please be so kind as to reference your source?

Actually, they did do that. This text is from an email I received a few days ago. Not sure why I was even on the list - I guess from a Magic staff position in the '90's?

Anyway: "As you may have heard, through no fault of theirs, they had to switch bus companies 2 days into tour. As a result, they have additional expenses that are putting pressure on the corps' operational budget. We are reaching out to the people that we know care about drum corps and the great kids that dedicate themselves to the activity, to ask for help."

So, seeing the news today, it wasn't a big surprise. They have really been scraping the past few weeks.

Please be so kind as to reference your source?

I wish I could. :smile:

I've been backtracking trying to find where I read that. No luck yet but I'm still looking.

I referenced the post from NakedEye as the e-mail is from Teal and follows along the same line.

Yes you did, but did you actually even care that Teal Sound was there at the show in the first place? devil.gif

I re-quote you from the Action Jackson thread.

"Just got back from the show and I'm tired. I didn't get a chance to see all the corps from the stands because I ran into some people I marched with and I spent most of the night shooting the #### with them. So all I got to see was Crown and Cadets from the stands."

Thanks for pointing that out and quoting me too. I still saw them from the bottom of the stands so what difference does your quoting me make? I still saw them regardless, and that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact they stopped their tour midseason. But thanks a lot for trying to make me feel bad for absolutely nothing.

Another one bites the dust! Thank you for entertaining me in Chambersburg PA on Sunday! I enjoyed your show and your crazy Guitarist! bouncing all around! thumbup.gif

If you're trying to search for THE problem of why Teal folded this year, you may not find it. I would agree that the Teal Sound BOD and Administrative teams should have known to not go on tour this year, or reduce the amount of time spent traveling. But like I said, there are probably many many many problems as to what made them decide to make this decision. Also remember, it wasn't only financial problems, but it was logistical problems as well. The mystery is still yet to be solved, and will probably never be announced publicly.

• Like 1