Teal Sound Ends Tour

I don't know if any of them can go to other corps. Isn't there a DCI rule about this? When you sign a contract with a corps, it says you can only change corps up to a certain date, which I believe is May 1. Maybe DCI will make an exception for these kids and the kids from Racine?

Wouldn't apply in this case. Historically, I can think of 1995 when Suncoast Sound chose to end tour early, and several of their members found spots in other corps.

I saw their show in Chambersburg and found it very entertaining. I was really looking forward to seeing it again in Indy come August. Very sorry for the kids and sorry we'll never get to see what progress they could have made with that show.

Wouldn't apply in this case. Historically, I can think of 1995 when Suncoast Sound chose to end tour early, and several of their members found spots in other corps.

Not to mention 1988, when Suncoast gained marchers from a NE corps that folded...

That opens too big of a door though. Because then kids who get injured could petition for an extra year (like me), or kids who started a season and then had to leave for school or financial reasons. I think it would create too much of a grey area. But I wouldn't mind a red-shirt kind of system for kids who lose their age-out for whatever reason

I dont believe it would. A corps folding is different than a kid breaking an ankle or not being able to afford it.

That opens too big of a door though. Because then kids who get injured could petition for an extra year (like me), or kids who started a season and then had to leave for school or financial reasons. I think it would create too much of a grey area. But I wouldn't mind a red-shirt kind of system for kids who lose their age-out for whatever reason

That's why the rule would specify that the extra year could only be given to members who had their ageout year cut short due to their corps folding after a specific date. Say June 1st.

We all know that injuries happen. It's just part of the activity. And unfortunately it ends some marcher's seasons or even entire drum corps careers. As far as the leaving due to school or financial reasons, that may be something that they "HAD" to do. But it was still a personal choice for them to leave. Your corps folding is something completely out of the hands of the members and when that happens the ageouts should be give the opportunity to have a proper ageout year.

• Like 2

I dont believe it would. A corps folding is different than a kid breaking an ankle or not being able to afford it.

Doesn't seem different to me, since I'm missing my age-out because of an injury. Both were incidents out of the member's control, so if DCI were to create an exception for one, they'd have to create an exception for all.

• Like 1

Agree to disagree. If you've been in my shoes, went through 4 weeks of move-ins, 2 weeks of shows, July 4th parades, then a broken leg sends you home early and you watch someone else march your dot on the DVD, you feel robbed of the full experience. Much like I'm sure the members of teal are feeling right now.

Edited by golfman1198
  • Like 1

Malden Diplomats, right? Suncoast gained ten or so from Pride of Cincinnati in 1985, right in the middle of the winter program.

Yep, got some SOLID players from Dips. Including one in our section, as you know...

Then got a bunch of Kingsmen in 89

Edited by OrlandoContraAlum