Is DCI broken?

What you may need to understand about staff is that not all are present all of the time. They may only be on tour for couple weeks, couple days, or not at all! They may switch out with other staffers.

You are absolutely correct! Some staff even work with the corps just during the off-season because they're available on weekends, but can't take time off for even a partial tour. And some tour staff aren't around during the off-season because they're at college.

Teal Sounding folding mid-tour is sad, but by definition, the ball had to have been dropped by both DCI and the Teal Sound board of directors for something like this to happen out of the blue DURING the DCI tour.

This sucks for everyone, including the show sponsors. But DCI should have been on top of this before it happened. If DCI is somehow "not" supposed to be aware of a bad financial condition of a member corps, then the DCI system is broken, and it should get out of the way of the activity before it kills it off.

Point of fact, those Teal Sound kids should have never went on tour. They should have had a chance to march somewhere else, -- in January. How many DCI age outs just had their last season of drum corps ruined?

I'm sorry, but this is low rent business organization at its finest. How many corps do we need to lose to wake up here?

Lee Rudnicki

WE DON'T HAVE ANY FACTS other than Teal's management shut things down.

• Like 2

Teal Sounding folding mid-tour is sad, but by definition, the ball had to have been dropped by both DCI and the Teal Sound board of directors for something like this to happen out of the blue DURING the DCI tour.

This sucks for everyone, including the show sponsors. But DCI should have been on top of this before it happened. If DCI is somehow "not" supposed to be aware of a bad financial condition of a member corps, then the DCI system is broken, and it should get out of the way of the activity before it kills it off.

Point of fact, those Teal Sound kids should have never went on tour. They should have had a chance to march somewhere else, -- in January. How many DCI age outs just had their last season of drum corps ruined?

I'm sorry, but this is low rent business organization at its finest. How many corps do we need to lose to wake up here?

Lee Rudnicki

I'm a rookie BK Dad, so I don't know much. In fact, I'd like to give a shout out of thanks to all the long-time Drum & Bugle Corps people on DCP for the education I am receiving just by reading various threads in this forum.

So, drumlaw80, in the interest of furthering my education could you explain to me the current responsibilities of DCI toward the various Corps' financial status? I mean, you are implying that, since DCI didn't step in and take matters in their own hands, that the DCI system is broken. Does DCI, in fact, have the responsibility and the power to do something like that?

Also, I wonder how you justify using the phrase, "out of the blue"? Now, for me...and others like me...who had no idea Teal Sound was in any kind of financial hardship, yeah...it was out of the blue. But for the management of TS and for DCI, I kind of doubt it.

Edited by RockyGranite

So, drumlaw80, in the interest of furthering my education could you explain to me the current responsibilities of DCI toward the various Corps' financial status? I mean, you are implying that, since DCI didn't step in and take matters in their own hands, that the DCI system is broken. Does DCI, in fact, have the responsibility and the power to do something like that?

Also, I wonder how you justify using the phrase, "out of the blue"? Now, for me...and others like me...who had no idea Teal Sound was in any kind of financial hardship, yeah...it was out of the blue. But for the management of TS and for DCI, I kind of doubt it.

He's a lawyer....grab a big cup of coffee and sit back......just warning you.

• Like 3

IMO we have REALLY jumped the gun here!

We need to start with one FACT FIRST!

Did Teal's finances CAUSE the bus problem

OR

Did the bus problem cause the financial problem?

BIG DIFFERENCE between the two!

Not many corps have the money to fill TWO bus contracts in one year!!!

I'm thinking that possibly the bus contracting company or the drivers did not understand that this was more than a trip to Massachusetts - and bailed out of the contract leaving Teal having to come up with more contract money.

How would you plan financially for THAT?

• Like 1

My understanding is that each corps is its own separate non-profit org, as is DCI... DCI is just an organizing and promotional body that relies on corps existing to justify its own existence... Clearly, DCI has vested interest in a corps being financially stable and competitive, etc. but my understanding is DCI doesn't have any responsibility in providing corps relief or stepping in and bailing them out... They have to take care of their own house as well, and that would be a huge liability financially... So DCI probably has their hands tied behind their backs as well.

rkfdPRphan makes a good point - if this was a bus problem that caused a financial problem - I'm not sure DCI could have done anything. If, however, they were financially struggling to begin with, it should have been addressed.

Does DCI review the financial status of all their members prior to the start of the season to know if they can afford to have a successful year? Most are 501© non-profits, correct? Doesn't this require them to submit a budget and report their status to the Federal government?

rkfdPRphan makes a good point - if this was a bus problem that caused a financial problem - I'm not sure DCI could have done anything. If, however, they were financially struggling to begin with, it should have been addressed.

Does DCI review the financial status of all their members prior to the start of the season to know if they can afford to have a successful year? Most are 501© non-profits, correct? Doesn't this require them to submit a budget and report their status to the Federal government?

Yes, and all those disclosures are public information. You can look at guidestar or something similar to see all that...

Edited by SCVsopAaron