Is DCI broken?

If we were talking "all adults" as performers and staff, then I would have a different take on this; but since youth are involved, that makes it a serious responsibility on all involved. I keep reading posts as if they believe DCI is a separate entity than the corps; DCI "is" the corps; and supposed to be a "fraternal collective" of corps whereby everyone is supposed to look out for one another away from the competition field. Does this mean that the administrative staff of one corps is to raise capital for another corps? Nope; each corps still has that accountability autonomy. But does this mean that the administrative staff of all corps are to watch out for each other, provide advice, monitor situations, make adjustments within the realm of DCI to keep the Teal Sound, Revolution, situations from happening while the kids are out on tour? Yes. Simple fix; a) DCI has to be shown real in the bank operational capital from each corps in May which will sustain the corps out on the road through getting home after finals otherwise they are pulled from all shows by DCI before ever leaving on tour in the first place; and b) DCI should have an "emergency" pool supplied by a donation from all corps to provide for the safety of the kids who somehow get caught out on the road with a situation like Teal or Revo.

Edited by Stu

Regionalize!

Only "X" amount of corps from each region can compete in Championships. Less traveling miles, stay closer to home and spend less money!

• Like 3

Transportation costs are among the highest that a corps has to bear.

Does anyone know if there has been an effort on the part of DCI to try to negotiate a contract with either a national or series of regional carriers for transport that might return a more favorable price in return for a specified number of miles?

Could DCI negotiate with a Sysco or Marriott Host Services for a specified number of meals in a summer and maybe lower the costs incurred by each corps procuring their own food?

Any other areas that this type of strategy might be applied?

As far as I can see, there is alot of regional touring going on already. The first half of the season is split into East/West/Midwest. Some corps choose to venture outside their region, but usually the tour of shows is geographically centralized. The current model seems to be working reasonably well for the top 20 or so. Judging by the equipment, props, uniforms, electronics and large staffs of the G7 + however many, very well for some. They are the ones who will decide if it's broken or not, and for them, I'm not sure that it is.

the problem is theymay be too close to it to tell if it's broken. Remember, everything they have been screaming DCI needs and they implemented has seen more loss of fans, shows and corps.

so are they really on the right track, or can they not see the forest thru the trees?

• Like 1

wait....you mean.....gasp....kinda like we used to have?

But the Powers that be said this wouldn't work remember?

Because the corps that *can* tour nationally didn't want to be restricted to local shows. Honestly, I think we might be highlighting the fact that there are a lot of corps in World Class that shouldn't be. Trying to keep up with the Joneses, even if only because DCI rules currently say they have to, is killing corps. Might be time to reconsider the idea of the G-PickANumber.

Mike

• Like 1

Because the corps that *can* tour nationally didn't want to be restricted to local shows. Honestly, I think we might be highlighting the fact that there are a lot of corps in World Class that shouldn't be. Trying to keep up with the Joneses, even if only because DCI rules currently say they have to, is killing corps. Might be time to reconsider the idea of the G-PickANumber.

Mike

Oneproblem...if we go by finances, G whatever may not be the highest scoring corps. it's no secret some at the top aren't the best with financing

I don’t know enough to know, really

but that Teal Corpse will make a sexy weapon to further some agendas

After that G-7 thing, I do wonder how unified DCI corps are in their mission and their goals and how that may effect other corps and the activity’s overall health

But they are the ones that can bring 13k to a regional show.

Mike

that doesn't mean they can pay their bills.

I like the idea of regionalization, as many have thrown-out in this discussion.

Now, not every region is equally stocked with the same number or quality of drum corps. Some regions are larger than others as well. But there are advantages. Less travel, more time to complete shows, more local performances which can help create more awareness in the community, more exposure to middle-school and high-school kids in the local area who might be interested in marching someday, and more time to gain volunteers for the national tour from mid-July to mid-August.

This model can also allow DCI to concentrate on setting up it's large regionals and Finals.

I liked what we used to have when there was DCE, DCS, DCW, DCM. I liked it when outside show sponsors could run a show or two. These days it seems that only DCI and the Corps themselves run shows. The eco system is too closed. Instead of worrying about things like adding woodwinds to drum corps (not wise), and instead of debating the use of synths and amplification and narration and you name it (none of which seems to be doing much), I think it's time the activity tried to gain show sponsors, tried to build more corps, and did its best to invigorate interest in the activity. Regionalization is one way to make it affordable for new corps to get some traction into the activity without having to raise too much in those beginning years.

The thought of jumping into the activity with these G-7 (TOC) corps, and hitting the ground running at 90-MPH, is daunting! It's like they have this exclusive fraternity and they want to keep everyone out. Wait until it becomes the G4 (Tournament of the Fittest) featuring Cadets, BD, Cavaliers, and Crown. It will take more than woodwinds to save that!

• Like 1