What IF DCI Did This?

. . .what about if you tweak your idea slightly, and instead of a national tour one year, corps only do a regional tour and use the other dates for camps for interested kids (like the System Blue and Phantom Regiment camps), play-alongs (Music is Cool), and regional appearances at fairs, parades, and so on.

Of course, the appearance fees many corps get at shows during a normal season kind of put a dent in our hypothetical exercise . . .but, I think drum corps might be better served by at least having a regional presence rather than *no* presence for a season, no? :smile:

What IF...and I say IF IF IF...DCI in its entirety took ONE summer off. This would be for all organizations, no matter the financial situations, to regain financial stability and possibly even grow financially. If DCI is dying like some people are saying, would this be a solution to the problem? And if it is a solution to the problem, wouldn't you rather see DCI take a year off than collapse? I realize that it'll take a while for DCI to "collapse" (or maybe not :blink:), but do we not agree that going this route may cost corps just like Teal and Racine to do the same thing? Would this idea hurt DCI more than help?

Also, I only think it would be fair if they let the ageouts march the year after.

I for one would hate to see a year without drum corps, and so would the majority of DCI fans. This is just a wild and radical suggestion to bring up. I realize that I may receive many reds. :shutup:

You're thinking out of the box and that's a good thing. However, here's the problem with your idea. In almost every drum corps organization the corps itself is the primary income producing component. If you eliminate that for any period of time, the bulk if not all of the organization's income from dues, sponsorships, souvineers, show fees, etc. dries up. Once that happens there would be little to nothing left to save.

Although many corps over the years have "taken a year off to get finances in order" most never return to their former standing and many never return at all. Although there are some great exceptions,realistically it's an option of last resort.

• Like 2

You're thinking out of the box and that's a good thing. However, here's the problem with your idea. In almost every drum corps organization the corps itself is the primary income producing component. If you eliminate that for any period of time, the bulk if not all of the organization's income from dues, sponsorships, souvineers, show fees, etc. dries up. Once that happens there would be little to nothing left to save.

Although many corps over the years have "taken a year off to get finances in order" most never return to their former standing and many never return at all. Although there are some great exceptions,realistically it's an option of last resort.

Agreed - the membership itself is the financial core of the corps.

• Like 1

Oh man if there was a summer without drum corps.. I'd probably just cry. Shoot, I can barely handle the off-season.

• Like 2

Oh man if there was a summer without drum corps.. I'd probably just cry. Shoot, I can barely handle the off-season.

It would be a summer without DCI, not a summer without drum corps. DCA would surge even more than it already has, plus you'd probably see some DCI Open Class corps take the plunge into DCA.

Edited by Kamarag

It would be a summer without DCI, not a summer without drum corps. DCA would surge even more than it already has, plus you'd probably see some DCI Open Class corps take the plunge into DCA.

People in my neck of the woods would look forward to DCA expanding its tour through Illinois, Indiana and Michigan. :rolleyes:

Because it would be a year that drum corps could start saving instead of spending.

And I like I said before - it's a very radical suggestion. Plus some corps like the Blue Devils and Cadets might hurt from this more than help.

where are you envisioning them acquiring money to save?

sure, they wouldn't spend money, but they also wouldn't collect tour fees, souvie sales, show fees, sponsorship stuff, etc.

• Like 1

WHat would be so bad if DCI re-introduced a DCI run DCM, DCE & DCW? Keep everyone regional until say...DCI MInneapolis or something similar. The gas savings would be enormous and would spark a rebirth of regional touring corps. It has worked for Academy, Pacific crest, Cascades and OC for a good long while. With fuel and food proces as they are, a season long national tour is far to risky. It worked in the early to mid 90's, why can't it work now.

• Like 3