Salem, WI 7/12

My son did not feel any crowd energy in Salem when Phantom was performing (which is unlike what they have been experiencing on tour). Interesting................

The stadium layout might have had something to do with that. As you know, the field was a LONG way from the front row of bleachers. I think when the closest crowd member is 20 yards or more from the field, it's hard for the crowd energy to reach the performers.

I'm hoping that he's saying that part of the "big jump" tonight had something to do with their drum score!

Sorry-went to bed. My son had clued me in on the nice score they received as I'm sure you all know now.

Well, this is my first post. I was there last night (no secret, I am a Phantom mom). For me it always starts with the music. Do I like the show? Would I want to sit through it more than once (or go out for concessions during it). I can approach drum corp analytically by caption; however, I choose to post from the heart.

Pioneer - This show seemed very uneven. I know their formula, and they are true to it. I think it is lacking horns (but not percussion). The kids are working very hard!

Crossmen. I really liked their show. They have a lush brass sound, and the guard is integrated quite well in the drill. The music is pleasant on the ear. I thought that their opening set was definitely their strongest. My biggest problem always with Crossmen is that their energy is just not consistent throughout the show. The ending was just quite abrupt (was it really the ending???; oh yes it was). Lots of talent there.

Spirit of Atlanta - Show is entertaining, music familiar, and a nice loud brass sound. They are really bringing it this year, although, I gotta say that the show is a little bit hokey for me (just my own humble opinion - crowd really seemed into it and liking it - lots of Spirit staff watching show near me). Guard does a nice energetic job, and costume changes are seamless (costumes very pretty). Great energy felt from the field. I have to say, though, I truly hate all the voice overs (in Pio or in Spirit). Voice overs never play well in Lucas Oil.

Scouts - Not my favorite show of theirs (and I am a Madison fan). Definitely can see that changes have been made and need to be tightened up. Just don't feel that the guard is used well or integrated well. For me to not notice the guard, well either they aren't bringing it like they usually do; or maybe the drill/costumes are not utilizing them like they should. Love the lead trumpets - always a delight - true Madison sound. Crowd very partisan, loving them and wanting them to break 80 from what I heard around me.

Regiment - what can I say - this is a great show (but I loved Juliet and Into the Light as much if not even more). Tons of changes are surely coming. Biggest on my 'want list' is for the closer to just be more climactic - it isn't a race to the end, it is a journey. You gotta take what made for a

true goose bumps drum corp love moment during the last 90 seconds of Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral at DCI finals last season bringing people to their feet - and find a way to channel that into Nessun Dorma. This is one of the greatest arias of all time - make it memorable, make it hurt. This is what Regiment does - it moves people.

My son did not feel any crowd energy in Salem when Phantom was performing (which is unlike what they have been experiencing on tour). Interesting................

Very, very well said!!! Btw, I think you are 100% correct on Scouts color guard. Me having to TRY and notice the guard never happens either, unless the staging isn't right. Maybe that's it, not sure. If you watch them individually, they seem to be performing, but somehow it's not reaching up to the audience. Of course I would LOVE a few more solid unison statements but it seems those are few and far between these days.

Welcome to DCP!

I attended this show and clearly the crowd favorite was the Scouts. My impression, however, is that that Phantom had more "homers" in attendance than the Scouts -- it was a Phantom home show. I am a Scouts "homer," but I am a big fan of Phantom's show. It doesn't get any better than Puccini. Nonetheless, the Scouts' show has more impact moments that reached the crowd. I doubt that the Scouts thought there was a lack of audience energy. Phantom had the misfortune of following the Scouts.

Nothin' like witnessin' a murder to quiet things down ! :tongue::lookaround::tongue::lookaround:

funny!

It's amazing to me as to how many "Madison haters" there are out there!! What's also amazing is when the corps starts to make a turn around, which has been long over due, so many people seemed shocked and for lack of a better word, appalled. Maybe it's me and I tend to look at things through "Scout colored glasses." Anyone else objectively feel that way?

As a corps ascends and goes from a Cinderella corps one year to a new level of expectation, DCPers tend to be more harsh. My observation. I guess the level of critique goes up.

It's amazing to me as to how many "Madison haters" there are out there!! What's also amazing is when the corps starts to make a turn around, which has been long over due, so many people seemed shocked and for lack of a better word, appalled. Maybe it's me and I tend to look at things through "Scout colored glasses." Anyone else objectively feel that way?

It honestly might just be your bias towards Madison. Any corps attracts criticism, it's just up to the fans to look at that criticism objectively, or get offended by it. I'm happy for Madison to be on the upswing, but their show this year isn't perfect. In our eyes, it may be, but it isn't to everyone.

Yes, some people are going to "hate" a corps no matter what they put out on the field, but some people do have genuine criticism. Either let the "hate" slide off your shoulders and accept the criticism for what it is, or get really offended and start treading out the "haters" term again. It's kind of your call. I thought DCP as a collective was trying to get rid of the terms "haters" because of the unfounded generalizations and negative attitude it presented, but I guess not.