All Male Corps

These days we have 2, Cavaliers & Madison. But Garfield was all Male, as were Blessed Sacrament, Belleville Black Knights, Kilties, Racine Scouts, Toronto Optimists, Scout House, and more whom I'm sure you'll remind of. So...When & Why did virtually all former all male Drum Corps become Coed?

These days we have 2, Cavaliers & Madison. But Garfield was all Male, as were Blessed Sacrament, Belleville Black Knights, Kilties, Racine Scouts, Toronto Optimists, Scout House, and more whom I'm sure you'll remind of. So...When & Why did virtually all former all male Drum Corps become Coed?

Garfield became coed in the late 60's, don't know the reason. Kilts went coed in 1978 and if I remember correctly (based on recollections from DCI yearbooks and DCN and DCW), the reason was recruitment.

Garfield became coed in the late 60's, don't know the reason. Kilts went coed in 1978 and if I remember correctly (based on recollections from DCI yearbooks and DCN and DCW), the reason was recruitment.

The recent history of Holy Name/Garfield pretty much chronicled the when and why Garfield went co-ed in 69 ...

Here's the link ... History of The Cadets

:-)

Garfield added girls for the 69 season. When the Little Falls Cadets corps folded, the guard as a group came over to Garfield to become the first females in the corps.

What about Corps that had only guys in the horn and drumlines and only girls in the guard. SCV was that way until '81 when a female horn player broke through the glass ceiling that was in the form of Gail Royer. Any others that you know of?

• Like 1

What about Corps that had only guys in the horn and drumlines and only girls in the guard. SCV was that way until '81 when a female horn player broke through the glass ceiling that was in the form of Gail Royer. Any others that you know of?

Seems like that's the way it was for many of the junior corps from decades back.

Seems like that's the way it was for many of the junior corps from decades back.

My first corps The Eau Claire Boys did the same. All of us in the guard went into the drumline or hornline

and the new females were in the guard. The "glass ceiling" was shattered after one year when we became

The Sundowners and females were in all sections. There were no males in the guard though which was pretty

common in all co-ed corps until the late 80's I believe.

I think the answer to the original question that was posed "the why" is that it was mainly for recruiting purposes.

Edited by bass5

My first corps The Eau Claire Boys did the same. All of us in the guard went into the drumline or hornline

and the new females were in the guard. The "glass ceiling" was shattered after one year when we became

The Sundowners and females were in all sections. There were no males in the guard though which was pretty

common in all "mixed corps" until the late 80's I believe.

I think the answer to the original question that was posed "the why" is that it was mainly for recruiting purposes.

"Co-Ed's":

The corps I marched in was "Co-Ed" in the horn & drum line from the start, as was the Parish corps that we were "Spun Off" from.

One of the cross town Parish corps, St Raphael's Buccaneers STARTED as a "Co-Ed" corps (Girls in the guard), but in 1963 they became all male. Their girl guard never did march in the "All Girls" corps the Parish started, but quite a few of them ended up in the Bucc's cross town rivals.

The Bridgeport PAL Cadets corps was always "Co-Ed" with girls in the CG, as was the Milford Police Cadets/Shoreliners.

Elphaba