Blue Devils on top...really?

I have absolutely no problem with Devils winning when they deserve it. They certainly have the hornline to have a run for the ring.

But the design of the show is so chopped up - so riddled with endless nattering about the Dada while that amazing hornline plays little or nothing, I'm sorry but the design doesn't deserve a top 3 in my humble opinion. I know this is subjective and just my tastes, but on the ability to enjoy the show I'd have Crossmen well ahead of BD.

They always have the talent, but the "artistic direction" recently - not my thing, thanks. Judging by the audible crowd discontent when the scores were announced Saturday, I suspect one or two people might agree with me.

Crown isn't my favourite show this year either, but in connecting with the crowd it's miles ahead of BD.

IMHO......

• Like 8

If I wanted High Art, I would go to the symphony...I want in your face, blow me away, get me out of my seat and cheering DRUM CORPS! Is that too much to ask?

• Like 7

I think the "everyone hates BD because they win" argument, while correct for a small minority of fans, is vastly overstated. The average fan attends shows to be entertained, and will give it up for an entertaining show, regardless which corps presents it.

I love that BD has such talented members, I love BD for the high level of achievement the members attain every year. The shows are extremely well designed. But at the end of the day, the audience by-and-large does not reach the same level of excitement for the shows that they present. They do not produce an emotional response from most of the audience, the way corps like Phantom and Cadets do. It's kind of puzzling actually, to get to the end of a show that's designed so logically, and performed so incredibly well, and not have the urge to go crazy with excitement. But for a lot of people in the crowd, it just doesn't happen. And for the vast majority of those people, it's not because they have 14 championships.

• Like 8

With all the talk about the "lack of" physical demand in BD's show and the gripes over it, why is it that no one really complains about a lack of physical demand in Phantoms show?

Maybe they would if all things were equal.

But Phantom is sitting in 4th right now. BD is not.

• Like 1

If I wanted High Art, I would go to the symphony...I want in your face, blow me away, get me out of my seat and cheering DRUM CORPS! Is that too much to ask?

So if you are not getting this from Blue Devils, are you at least getting it from some (many?) other corps? If so, isn't that good enough, or do ALL of the corps have to program their shows to please just you? I am kinda happy that there is some variety out there...

this stuff seriously gets so old. there's a reason BD is ahead of crown: they're cleaner. end of story.

They really aren't that clean. People are acting as if Devils are spotless. They aren't even close. But they probably will be.

You get just as much schlock at the symphony, or the movies. You probably want to watch nothing buy Michael Bay films, and that's fine. But not everyone does. I'd like to see a healthy mix of film styles.

• Like 1

You make this statement as if none of the corps are offering this for you and as if this means the same thing for all audience members...

If the Blue Devils are not presenting a product that makes you react in this way, might I suggest watching other shows? There are many to choose from.

• Like 2

BD's show designs are almost clinical. But they perform them brilliantly, and the design hooks right up with how score sheets are tallied.

Don't hate the players. They treat DCI as a competition, and they come in to win. They aren't the first corps to downplay audience response. Many have prior, and many will in the future. I can think of years where Cadets basically flipped a bird to what most audiences thought of their program, and hell, Star of Indiana much?

• Like 3

Difficulty? Crown is playing Bertrand Moren's Dreams while running. Blue Devils have a french guy talking while they get dressed from their invisible closets that double as a PVC horse. WTF

Where is your signature from?

Is that spoken somewhere in the BDs show this year? My listening versus reading French skills are terrible!

I can read it a bit, but listening to it, I have no clue....