Blue Devils on top...really?

Perhaps - my interpretation of his post was that this discussion would be ongoing regardless of who was performing the show: that it is not a vendetta against Devils, it's just about the show design. Did I have a senior moment on that?

What he meant was that if the corps switched shows, Devils would still be hated and Crown would still be god's gift to DCI. It's not at all about show design, not one bit.

• Like 3

The biggest irony in all of this is that if Crown or Phantom were doing the exact same thing that BD is doing now, it would be called a drum corps revolution. Pure genius. It would be hailed at wildly innovative and nobody would be on here talking about how they "don't move, don't play, don't drum" or whatever other BS is being spewed.

On DCP, Crown and Phantom can do no wrong.

On DCP, BD can do nothing right.

This is 100% accurate! Well put it!

Its obvious that the Blue Devils are the "LA Lakers" or the "NY Yankees" or the "Duke Blue Devils" of Drum Corps.

Just like when any of those teams play in a final, the loyal fans are the loyal fans, and the combined loyal fans of EVERY other team in the country are AGAINST them. This is why if the Yankees make the world series against say, The San Francisco Giants, the Giants will suddenly gain a few million fans. The "Anyone but the Yankees" sentiment starts.

Right now, the apparent "MAtch up" is between BD and Crown (Although I truly believe AT LEAST one more name will be in the mix as a serious contender, maybe even 2 or 3 more come finals week), the overwhelming sentiment is "ANYONE but the blue devils". The last few years, BD has been so consistent up in the top 2 that the "Crowd favorite" instantly becomes, "whoever is #2". Kinda like the NCAA tournament. How many fans did Lehigh University have in the 4th period of that Duke Game? EVERYONE wants to see a champion fall. If its still "BD vs Crown" in Indy this year, I can guarantee its going to be ridiculous with people sitting on their hands for Blue Devils again. And Crown will be the "Emotional favorite". There will be many "Real" crown fans (including me) because they are a phenomenal drum corps performing one of the best shows I have ever seen, but there will also be a bunch of idiots who just want "ANYONE but the blue devils".

Its too bad we dont have the collective understanding that what we like is not always on par with what should win. A great example: In 2010, I believe Blue Devils were the rightful winners. In my mind, there was no question. But it was Nowhere near being my favorite show. My favorite show that year was EASILY Phantom Regiment. Last year, I believe the Cadets should have won. But my favorite shows were Blue Devils and Madison Scouts.

Until some drum corps fans stop acting like teenagers stomping their feet when mom and dad dont give them their way, were always gonna have to hear people crying foul and making the "If MY team did win, the whole thing sucks" assertions.

The good news is this is an AMAZING field of drum corps this year and I cannot WAIT for Allentown!

• Like 5

I feel like this argument happens every year.

I haven't watched blue devils show this year, I'm gonna see it on Saturday however.

I don't know what to expect, I can tell you one thing though.

If crown does not clean the end of there show, they won't catch BD, and im saying this after watched crowns show about 3 times since Minnesota.

Edited by ohwiseone

My take exactly…saw them in Rockford and thought, hmmmm, this is very beat-able…the readable forms towards the front end of the show were surprisingly dirty…and in the scatter drill when the corps does some steps in unison (to make the scatter look purposeful)…wow, blown bits every where

Their Guard looked messy too, way messy, like 4th place dirty

I really thought they had a bad night (my first view of the show) but their score said otherwise

I don’t think Crown has the show to beat them though, sorry kids

Surprised how much I enjoyed BD’s music, it rocked…almost as good as last years’ show but heir Visual did nothing for me, and yeah, I see why it frustrates other people – it takes advantage or the sheets and BD’s reputation – if Blue Knights preformed that same drill at that same level, they’d be about where they are at now in visual scores (around 12th?) – the visual Rep/ Comp/ Cont scores are very generous but oh well – I just hope it doesn’t push other corps into that sort of visual program as to me, it’s the anti-GE

This is more of the nonsense that "oh yeah.. they just play to the sheets".

If thats true, why is nobody else "playing to the sheets"?

If it said anything about doing the things specifically that BD does in literal written english, It would be done a lot more.

EVERY Drum corps is trying to play to "The sheets". If you think crown, or Cavaliers, or Blue Coats, or anyone else didnt have the sheets on their mind or hopes of this being "The year" they win it, your mistaken.

Competition is important to many of the groups out there, and their design staffs are trying.

People said the same thing about the Cavaliers during their run of supremacy. "If another corps did their show ... "Blah blah blah.

If thats true, Why are the Cavaliers down right now? You think they took the year off? You think they didnt want to win it this year?

Sometimes, ideas dont come to life the way we thought they would. MAybe its just taking them longer. Maybe they will finish in 3rd, or 7th, or 2nd or 12th. But what will be your excuse when you (or others) were crying "The system just prefers the cavaliers! They just play to the sheets" and then last uncharacteristically low?

Maybe this Blue Devils show will finish 3rd or 4th by the end. Then will everything suddenly be right? the Judges will be smart again and the system will be wonderful? Right.

you and everyone else on DCP. "It sucks if MY team doesnt win".

• Like 3

So if you are not getting this from Blue Devils, are you at least getting it from some (many?) other corps? If so, isn't that good enough, or do ALL of the corps have to program their shows to please just you? I am kinda happy that there is some variety out there...

Yes, there are some but I guess it is just preference...I would like to enjoy the whole drum corps competition, not just parts of it...much like I wish to enjoy the whole movie not just the CGI effects. There has to be a plot also.

Edited by mizportis
  • Like 1

Yes, there are some but I guess it is just preference...I would like to enjoy the whole drum corps show, not just parts of it...much like I wish to enjoy the whole movie not just the CGI effects. There has to be a plot also.

Sometimes maybe the "plot" is just over your head a little bit. The fact that you dont get it doesnt make it bad.

Or should every movie be a "Pauly Shore" movie so its nice and idiot proof?

• Like 2

Starting to think that is not a typo after all.

That is very perceptive of you. (And no, that is not sarcasm...I mean it.) I read the comment to which you were referring and didn't notice the typo. But, yes, it certainly can be what you surmised.

Sometimes maybe the "plot" is just over your head a little bit. The fact that you dont get it doesnt make it bad.

Or should every movie be a "Pauly Shore" movie so its nice and idiot proof?

Excuse me...I was having a mature discussion, trying not to say anything to offend. I was asked a question and I answered. I didn't attack and neither should you. I will just have to strike it up to DCP.

• Like 2

Its too bad we dont have the collective understanding that what we like is not always on par with what should win.

^This, and double this! Sure this is a competitive activity and and all corps are doing their best to ensure they place as high as possible. Because of this fact, we end up with lots of amazing, athletic, and artistic feats to enjoy. So get some frickin' popcorn and enjoy the show! If one corps or another doesn't make you scream or illicit the feeling you enjoy having from a performance, or even wins this show or that when they weren't a personal favorite, big deal! I certainly have my favorite shows from year to year. Sometimes my favorite is the champ, sometimes not, but I rarely feel that the judges "got it wrong". They are judging to the best of their ability based on the criteria they've been given.