Blue Devils on top...really?

I'll weigh in here, as a long-time fan of this activity, a Carolina Crown alumnus, and as a champion of logic.

First off, I think Crown has the coolest show out there this year with Phantom a close second. Cool is totally subjective and only influences what I will watch and listen to again and again, not what can or should win the points.

At this time, Blue Devils are and should be scoring higher. Demand and execution are at a very high level and their show is achieving the stated intent and purpose with crystal clarity. This show is being performed by extremely talented individuals and being performed very well.

Sure, I think Crown has a more "demanding" show, with a lot more interesting stuff happening, but one only has to look at the high-cam of that cube rotation from Saturday to see that a lot of cleaning needs to happen. I think it is the coolest and most unique visual moment of the year, but it is dirty as all hell right now. That's just one example.

Earlier in this thread, I think the crux of the argument was nailed. Crown sits tenths from BD currently with lots of cleaning to happen and a great show. BD sits tenths above Crown currently with minor tweaks and cleaning and a great show. This will be a race to the finish for sure and we aren't even accounting for the other three corps in this top group that certainly aren't resting on their laurels either.

In any event, I see no need to call the Blue Devils boring, or criticize what they do, or blame the judges for having some love affair with them, unless you want to, then that's cool if you want to spend energy in that fashion. In my eyes the competitive equation is quite simple; the Blue Devils are doing a very difficult and effective show with very little in the way of dirt. Beating them will require an equally or more difficult and effective show done with the same or better level of cleanliness. It's just math.

• Like 6

Geez. It's 2009 and 2010 all over again. I don't know why anyone is shocked by this. BD has 14 CHAMPIONSHIPS. It should be apparent by now the organization knows how to win. This is not to say they will win in August, but they constantly keep themselves competitive year after year no matter how many people may dislike their shows. Why can't some people accept that?

• Like 3

I'll weigh in here, as a long-time fan of this activity, a Carolina Crown alumnus, and as a champion of logic.

First off, I think Crown has the coolest show out there this year with Phantom a close second. Cool is totally subjective and only influences what I will watch and listen to again and again, not what can or should win the points.

At this time, Blue Devils are and should be scoring higher. Demand and execution are at a very high level and their show is achieving the stated intent and purpose with crystal clarity. This show is being performed by extremely talented individuals and being performed very well.

Sure, I think Crown has a more "demanding" show, with a lot more interesting stuff happening, but one only has to look at the high-cam of that cube rotation from Saturday to see that a lot of cleaning needs to happen. I think it is the coolest and most unique visual moment of the year, but it is dirty as all hell right now. That's just one example.

Earlier in this thread, I think the crux of the argument was nailed. Crown sits tenths from BD currently with lots of cleaning to happen and a great show. BD sits tenths above Crown currently with minor tweaks and cleaning and a great show. This will be a race to the finish for sure and we aren't even accounting for the other three corps in this top group that certainly aren't resting on their laurels either.

In any event, I see no need to call the Blue Devils boring, or criticize what they do, or blame the judges for having some love affair with them, unless you want to, then that's cool if you want to spend energy in that fashion. In my eyes the competitive equation is quite simple; the Blue Devils are doing a very difficult and effective show with very little in the way of dirt. Beating them will require an equally or more difficult and effective show done with the same or better level of cleanliness. It's just math.

Agree 100%. This was the first time that I could really make out the intent, and, if it gets cleaned, will go down (in my book) with "cross to cross", the Z Pull, and other incredible visual moments. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the Crossmen's Maltese Cross with the guard in the middle on the MJ Reprise. Good stuff, that.

One other thought... SOOOO many people decry BD's recent show designs... and I often hear that "it's not drum corps" or "it's just a WGI show on the field" or whatever. This is generally followed by a lament that, since they keep winning with this formula, then EVERYONE will start doing it, and drum corps will be dead. (Again).

Well, they have been doing shows like this for at least half a decade, and I have yet to see ONE OTHER CORPS come close to copying their style. This is a Good Thing. I remember people saying the same thing when 2005 Cadets were dominating... that EVERYONE would have Bjork, singing drum parts, and a Door. Guess what... that didn't happen either.

Folks, I am an Old. I spent WAY too much time in my youth hating on shows that I thought I didn't like because they were either beating me (when I marched) or beating the corps that I wanted to win. Know what? It really does not matter. And I missed out on enjoying some pretty incredible shows live. As some folks have already alluded to, when the season is over, we will each have shows that we love to watch, love to listen to. Some will be both. Others won't. I really enjoyed Cadets last year, they were a deserving champion. However, I listen to BD, Cavies, Crown, Phantom, Madison and others more because Cadets show was really a perfect blend of visual and musical. Without the visual (for me) it's not quite the same. Likewise Cavies 06 with Machine. I REALLY didn't like (or listen to) that show for about 3 years, until I finally SAW it... THEN I understood why they won.

TL;DR... have fun! Watch and hype on the shows you love, don't on the shows that you don't. Fortunately, there is a LOT of variation out there this year, a true case of something for everyone!

Edited by OrlandoContraAlum
  • Like 4

The biggest irony in all of this is that if Crown or Phantom were doing the exact same thing that BD is doing now, it would be called a drum corps revolution. Pure genius. It would be hailed at wildly innovative and nobody would be on here talking about how they "don't move, don't play, don't drum" or whatever other BS is being spewed.

On DCP, Crown and Phantom can do no wrong.

On DCP, BD can do nothing right.

• Like 8

Yeah, BD's show is definitely polarizing this year. In many respects I really like it. You almost forget that it's a drum corps show. The way they approach the show is very different from any other corps and it definitely represents a level of invocation.

Starting to think that is not a typo after all.

• Like 2

To the OP, I think you stated your position and how you felt, and for that do not feel bad. As you can tell, we all have different opinions about shows that the Blue Devils have produced over the years. For a lot of fans, those who are my age (47) and older, we grew up listening to the Blue Devils play the best jazz this side of Kenton and Basie and Maynard, but for field, and we loved it. They were one of the most entertaining and clean drum corps in the activity. They had a string of soloists in the late 70s/early 80s who should have all been in the studio recording.

As their style changed many of us had a difficult time with it. I like to pride myself on the fact that I still get into them, even now that they are less jazz and more contemporary with a mixed style of music choices. I loved their Tommy show from 1990. Their 1994 is about as good musically as it gets. 1999 is a killer show musically. 2003 is one of the all-time greats as well. In 2007 they found something, an idea, the germ of a new style, that catapulted them to 1st that year, and in 2008 they continued that thought process only to a more advanced stage. They have stuck with that in 2009, 2010, and now 2012. The backed off some last year with their 2011 show, but the ideas were still there.

I couldn't put my finger on what it is that they do, but there is a formula there that is odd for most people. The music phrases are there, but you have to listen, and I really think you have to see the show a few times. They don't have the soloists like they used to, although they are still good, and they don't play jazz like they used to (and I will always love that first and foremost), but I do dig their approach to field design. Why? 1) it's unlike anything we have, 2) everyone else seems to want to copy Cadets or Cavaliers (sans Phantom, who also maintains a very unique style), 3) they still march better (technique) than anyone in the activity and it's good to see excellent technique, and 4) there is always the off-chance that I get to hear some jazz, and I'll take what I can get. Nobody else in the activity seems to want to play much jazz. It's sad when the Cadets are utilizing pretty good jazz for a portion of their jingle bells arrangement and somehow I'm not getting much more than that.

Their formula appears to be have the pit/battery provide the development of phrases while the brass enters for the impacts. Yes, the brass does do some development, but it's few and far between. Also, their brass (as a whole) normally plays the least of any other corps, but you don't notice because they're moving $@%# around the field.

When was the last time a corps besides BD played jazz and won? Cavaliers 2006, SCV 1999?