Outstading Ovation Olathe!

I was at the Olathe show last night and will share a few thoughts. First of all, I went to watch the Blue Stars rehearse earlier in the day. I actually enjoyed their rehearsal more than the show. I really think their uniform and color choices are hurting them. The color of the flags, guard uniform (first half of the show), and corps proper uniform (grey) tends to blend together. Their guard does some difficult equipment work and I think it was hard to appreciate the routine with the corps uniforms. There are still some marching execution problems, but this is improving. There were a few holes due to injuries.

Scouts: Nice full sound and entertaining show. Bright flags add to the overall impact of the show. This show got the biggest ovation of the night.

Academy: There were some good moments; however, the hornline doesn't seem to have the same power as groups ahead of them. The pink poles in the guard used in the beginning of the show needs to be cleaned. The angles are not together at this point. Timing is a problem in the guard. Articulation and balance is a problem in the hornline right now. I would like to see more color on the corps proper uniform.

Spirit: Good full sound and colorgul uniforms. The silver in the corps proper uniform really shines. This is an entertaining show. The group seems much more mature in their performing than last year's corps.

BAC: I will say that the all-male rifle line in the Crusaders looked the most masculine in a long time! Boston has great field coverage and has a nice full sound. I had difficult hearing the soloist at the back of the 50 yard line. I was sitting on the 50 (row 23). Boston was probably the 2nd cleanest corps of the corps.

Blue Devils: I wsa expecting to dislike this show; however, it left me thinking. This is not my favorite show of the year, but I did appreciate the difficulty of the musicians. The brass line has a difficult book and they are loud! This may be perhaps the best brass line I have heard out of the Blue Devils and they have always been talented. It took me about half of the show to get used to the French voice-overs. In fact, the voice-overs really bothered me at first. I did get used to them as the show went on. The staging is excellent. There were 3 drops when the guard used hoops. Though the guard is good, I don't think the equipment book is at the same level of difficulty of previous years.

Colts: It is difficult to perform after the Blue Devils. The Colts don't have the same power and sound as corps above them. I didn't understand the guard wearing blue hats. I actually thought the blue hats were not appealing to look at (my opinion). The closer when the drum major plays a solo is one of the highlights of the year. I sure wish the rest of the Colts show was like the closer.

I was at the Olathe show last night and will share a few thoughts. First of all, I went to watch the Blue Stars rehearse earlier in the day. I actually enjoyed their rehearsal more than the show. I really think their uniform and color choices are hurting them. The color of the flags, guard uniform (first half of the show), and corps proper uniform (grey) tends to blend together. Their guard does some difficult equipment work and I think it was hard to appreciate the routine with the corps uniforms. There are still some marching execution problems, but this is improving. There were a few holes due to injuries.

Scouts: Nice full sound and entertaining show. Bright flags add to the overall impact of the show. This show got the biggest ovation of the night.

Academy: There were some good moments; however, the hornline doesn't seem to have the same power as groups ahead of them. The pink poles in the guard used in the beginning of the show needs to be cleaned. The angles are not together at this point. Timing is a problem in the guard. Articulation and balance is a problem in the hornline right now. I would like to see more color on the corps proper uniform.

Spirit: Good full sound and colorgul uniforms. The silver in the corps proper uniform really shines. This is an entertaining show. The group seems much more mature in their performing than last year's corps.

BAC: I will say that the all-male rifle line in the Crusaders looked the most masculine in a long time! Boston has great field coverage and has a nice full sound. I had difficult hearing the soloist at the back of the 50 yard line. I was sitting on the 50 (row 23). Boston was probably the 2nd cleanest corps of the corps.

Blue Devils: I wsa expecting to dislike this show; however, it left me thinking. This is not my favorite show of the year, but I did appreciate the difficulty of the musicians. The brass line has a difficult book and they are loud! This may be perhaps the best brass line I have heard out of the Blue Devils and they have always been talented. It took me about half of the show to get used to the French voice-overs. In fact, the voice-overs really bothered me at first. I did get used to them as the show went on. The staging is excellent. There were 3 drops when the guard used hoops. Though the guard is good, I don't think the equipment book is at the same level of difficulty of previous years.

Colts: It is difficult to perform after the Blue Devils. The Colts don't have the same power and sound as corps above them. I didn't understand the guard wearing blue hats. I actually thought the blue hats were not appealing to look at (my opinion). The closer when the drum major plays a solo is one of the highlights of the year. I sure wish the rest of the Colts show was like the closer.

I'm not so sure he's a DM, per se. I believe it was more a very responsible decision to place him in a position where a serious injury does not become catastrophic. A very painful but commendable decision on the Colts part. Probably involved a lot of major reworking of their program at the last moment.