TROOPERS! Where are you?

Welcome back! People were actually asking about you on Saturday. Good to see you make an appearance again.

I agree with you. A corps with such a long and distinct history should embrace that, but do what they can to be competitive. This is a competitive activity after all. It's like the Bridgemen. They were such a distinctive corps, but they performed very, very well. It's all about balance

• Like 2

Two points - 1) I think at one point last year (or the year before), both Scouts and Troopers were used as examples of why we needed new judging sheets - so they could get rewarded for doing what they do. 2) it all comes down to execution. Rarely these days do you see people remarking, "man, corps X lost to corps Y even though they clearly played and marched better."

Not meaning to be sarcastic - I'm with you on this. Play up the Trooper angle, play western music - but whatever you do, play and march it better than those around you.

Mike

• Like 1

Rarely these days do you see people remarking, "man, corps X lost to corps Y even though they clearly played and marched better."

Mike

By rarely, do you mean incessantly? If so, then you are correct. That is ALL one hears.

• Like 2

Troopers will cease to exist without being competitive.

It sounds harsh, but we have literally the hardest time in DCI recruiting. Just look back to the 90s-2005, where the corps wore older-looking uniforms, scarves, and used G bugles. We were bottom of the barrel and membership was at an all time low.

If it means sacrificing some of that "identity," then you'd better get used to it if you want to see Troopers survive.

I talked to a staff member last year about Troopers history. From the beginning, Troop started the touring drum corps model, invented asymmetrical and curvilinear drill, the rifle for the guard, etc. After a certain point, that stopped. This staff member (who was a soloist for a top corps recently for a few years) said "Innovation should be the tradition."

I know everyone (and I use that loosely... plenty of people hate the Troopers look) loves the old uniform and style, but it doesn't work today and will result in the corps dying, again. Take it from someone with experience.

• Like 5

Oh Granny, i'm with you 100% on this one! Troops show last year i liked alot but this year somethings missing? What happened to the sun-burst...just that alone brings people to thier feet. It's their signature drill move. I could go on and on. Please Troopers come back!!!

I know everyone (and I use that loosely... plenty of people hate the Troopers look) loves the old uniform and style, but it doesn't work today and will result in the corps dying, again. Take it from someone with experience.

So, how's all that new stuff workin' out for the Troopers now?

Your argument has been repeated quite a bit over the past few years...that somehow the Troopers need to start innovating and that their scarves hindered lines, etc., but I would counter that it will be a long time before the Troopers are innovators since the innovators are usually those at the top. And just as matter of trivia: the Troopers have never been to finals without the scarves.

For the record, I love the Troopers but sadly when I clap for them at shows now it's because of my respect for their history and who they are instead of them hitting me in the chest with their show. I'm sorry to say this, but it's true.

• Like 1

So, how's all that new stuff workin' out for the Troopers now?

Your argument has been repeated quite a bit over the past few years...that somehow the Troopers need to start innovating and that their scarves hindered lines, etc., but I would counter that it will be a long time before the Troopers are innovators since the innovators are usually those at the top. And just as matter of trivia: the Troopers have never been to finals without the scarves.

For the record, I love the Troopers but sadly when I clap for them at shows now it's because of my respect for their history and who they are instead of them hitting me in the chest with their show. I'm sorry to say this, but it's true.

I realize the older crowd loves the look, and we made finals for the first time in 23 years with them.

However, the students auditioning for corps now don't want to march for the corps with cowboy hats (except for a select few every year). No talent auditioning means no talent performing means no finals.

Corps like Madison have more recent history of doing much better, and have a much easier time recruiting... they can go "old school" and not have any trouble.

Troopers is in a spot of trouble in any case. Can't make anybody happy.

The Cadets just put a Christmas show on the field and it is exciting, well developed (for the most part), and the crowds seem to enjoy it. It's also competitive. If they can do that, then Troopers can find a way to arrange music that fits their identity and make it feel fresh and new and competitive. And I don't buy the argument about uniforms. A new uniform can be designed that models the old one without compromising recruiting and what judges think.

• Like 6