TROOPERS! Where are you?

It isn't working for one regional. The last few years have all been higher than 16th. I wouldn't call that bottom-feeder. Every corps has a year or two off like this (if that's even what it is) as mentioned in a previous post. I think they'll get better and work some things out this summer.

Also, my complaint is that they're not innovating enough... not that they've done too much.

Well, I'm predicting right now that Troop will be fortunate to make the Friday show this year. And it aint because they weren't innovative. It's because they have forgotten what it is to be the Troopers. (I'm not talking about the kids. I'm referring to the adults in charge.)

I don't know about you, but 16th place is no prize in my mind. When the crowd isn't in a rush to get to the stadium before your performance, you're a bottom feeder.

• Like 2

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't same team that brought them 2009, also bring them 2010? Nobody "Wanted" that season. :shutup:

Show designers can have off years too. It just sucks that one off year and the Troopers axed them.

• Like 1

I for one think it is just an off year. I might be a newbie to the DC as I've only been watching since 04 and marched 06-10 at PC and Bloo but I truly think this is just an off year. The music doesn't grab me emotionally as say last seasons did. I don't know why no one likes last years show or even the "Wanted" show. Personally, I like both of those shows over their train show or their "Western Side Story" show. I honestly would've preferred last seasons troop to end on Saturday but Spirit kept that from happening. Are they going to struggle this year? Yes, everyone does! Look at the recent histories of Cavaliers, Scouts, Bones, and Spirit! They all either had off seasons or off years where they weren't quite getting it! Troopers are there now but I have full confidence that they'll be back.

And to counter the innovation doesn't reward and sticking to traditions have, it took Bluecoats not doing a jazzy/big band show to break top 3. Sometimes stepping away from tradition is good to do. My 2 cents

• Like 2

Troopers seem to being doing much better competitively since their year off. They were a sub-20th corps for a long time prior to the break, they've been solid semifinalists and sometimes finalist contenders since. I actually think the new uniform is pretty sharp. It keeps the basic look, which is important. The neckerchiefs wouldn't really detract from the new uniform, IMO. Corps do have a tendency to throw the baby out with the bathwater when trying to "forge ahead", this may be one of those instances.

My main problem with the Troopers in recent years is the blandness of the shows. Blandness is a disease that tends infect semifinalist level corps, though the situation has improved in recent years. Every year I make an effort to see every corps, and learn about their shows. Right now I honestly can't really remember what the Troopers have done the past few seasons. I know there are talented people designing for this corps but, as in the case of so many corps who have tried to "reinvent" their identity the result isn't innovative. It's insipid. The judges don't hate it, but they don't love it either. The fans tend to stay out in the lot.

In drum corps, you can have your cake and eat it too. Look at what Madison is doing. Very traditional uniforms. The shows are wildly entertaining and popular . . . but they're also very much modern drum corps. Madison has the fans riled up, seems to advancing in placement, has created new classics while reliving old classics, all while making full use of the recent rule changes. Likewise with Spirit. Great entertaining and competitive show that's not in any way traditional (though Spirit could very easily do this with Southern music, and I hope they will) yet it feels like an authentic Spirit of Atlanta production. Ditto Crossmen the past couple of years.

You can innovate, entertain, compete, and hold onto your identity. Troopers are one of the most identifiable corps out there, it would be insane to throw that away. There is so much great music in the Western and Americana genres, completely untouched by drum corps, that could be exciting and different on the field if arranged properly. Not that the Troopers have to stick with that kind of music, but it wouldn't really be as stifling as some think.

Edited by Rifuarian
  • Like 6

I think it may be worth noting that in one stretch of ten good years for the Troopers, 1965-1974 (when, according to Corpsreps, they placed 4th, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 6th, 2nd, and 5th), that they regularly mixed up the western-themed music with show tunes* and pop songs.** Their traditions are more varied than this discussion generally acknowledges.

In any case, someone said here that non-finalist corps especially should be wary of innovation. I think that's right: it's harder to pull off until you have the talent. Better to take a more obviously crowd-pleasing route: Crossmen the past two years or Jersey Surf this year. Be entertaining and do it well. If the crowd loves you, scores don't matter as much. (And will probably go up, some: though they may sometimes forget it, judges are human too.)

*From Stop the World I Want to Get Off, Man of La Mancha, Hair, and Godspell.

**By Simon & Garfunkle and The Fifth Dimension.

• Like 3

Agree with Granny 1000%

If the Troopers were to play a fresh, new arrangement of just one classic tune such as How the West Was Won, Ghost Riders in the Sky, The Virginian, Black Saddle, ect., the crowds would go nuts. Or even just snippets of a bunch of great old tunes that people associate with the corps.

Re-establish the Brand!!!The Troopers sounding like just another DCI corps is equally as sad as Madison sounding like a generic DCI corps a few years ago before Mason & his team came to the rescue. If the Scouts could bring back Slaughter...

• Like 1

Troop doesn't have to keep doing "western" shows. But there is plenty of American music available for them to sample. Plenty of American composers to pick from, plenty of folk music.

• Like 2

Am I one of the few people that LOVED last years show? I thought the musical design was just downright beautiful, one of my top 3 listens from last year.

Can tell you're a college music major. That's great for you, but the vast majority of people in the crowd just aren't that sophisticated.

• Like 1

Can tell you're a college music major. That's great for you, but the vast majority of people in the crowd just aren't that sophisticated.

I just graduated high school, I'm not that sophisticated (incoming music major though). :tongue: I didn't really think there was much to deeply understand or get, I just thought the whole show was gorgeous.

• Like 2