TROOPERS! Where are you?

I didn't know that Troopers had some winter camps right here in Houston. I would love to get involved with that. Do you have any info on how I can do this next year or is it something I can find on their site. BTW ... which high school were they using?thumbup.gif

Check out their website...it shows the current year's schedule, starting last fall...

Troopers

Here is the Texas location:

February Camp

WhenFeb 24 26, 2012

Where: Waller High School

20950 Field Store Rd

Waller Texas 77484

Edited by MikeD

Here is what the Troopers need, IMO of course:

-Keep the admin and BOD because they are doing an excellent job of bringing the corps back and fundraising and helping to secure the future of the corps with the amazing bingo hall and corps office.

-Keep camp locations in areas with access to cheap(er) airports and lots of great talent.

-Write EXCITING!!!! and entertaining shows to captivate the audience and challenge the members- this will do wonders with recruiting in addition to the item above.

-Get a new percussion caption head and arranger. The books that Reeves writes are outdated and their technique programs is obviously not excellent given that they were beaten by the Blue Devils cadets corps last season, and haven't fared too much better thus far in 2012. I sat in on a rehearsal last year and the instructions were abysmal from Mr. Welborn...lots of unnecessary yelling and not a lot of how to fix what was going on.

-Stop doing boring shows that have some sort of lame BS connection to the west. If you want to do the western show, then fine DO IT! But don't do these boring shows for the sake of attempting to please the alumni. I'm certain that the alumni just want to corps to succeed and do well- just like any other corps. Would they like to see the traditional things that make the troopers identifiable? Sure- but I'm sure they would gladly forego halfassed attempts at western themed shows in order to make their corps a annual finalist.

Scoring better seems to be done in two parts these days:

Part A: Write more contemporary and exciting shows that engage the audience and help you to score better. Part B: Said exciting show will attract more attention to the brand during the season and then bring more talent to audition. Rinse and repeat.

Check out their website...it shows the current year's schedule, starting last fall...

Troopers

Here is the Texas location:

February Camp

WhenFeb 24 – 26, 2012

Where: Waller High School

20950 Field Store Rd

Waller Texas 77484

Thanks for the info.....

"The idea that embracing your identity and being competitive are mutually exclusive ideas is simply false."

Agreed. Having a program that can be rewarded given the current scoring mechanism has nothing to do with identity. You can easily retain your identity and be competitive. Too many examples of that exist to say it isn't so.

After the Troopers reorganized several years back there was a sense of optimism surrounding the corps. It was fairly common to see threads about them, but not so much anymore. There were arguments that they had retooled and this new approach would make them a perennial contender for finals. The optimism was at an all-time high but the results were short lived.

I have grown increasingly disappointed with the Troopers as they have simply blended into the blah blur of the unidentifiable. I have always contended that they need to embrace their historical roots/identity and let the chips fall (ala Madison Scouts).

Last year's show was at best "meh" (about the only positive thing anyone ever said was that the infinity chord was cool) and this year's show is shaping up to be one where I think some Open Class corps will be nipping at their heels. They have fallen to the bottom again.

This is where I'm supposed to sound super intelligent and say that there are so many wonderful, sweeping musical scores that could capture the essence of americana but would still be competitive and reminiscent of the old west and that by altering the uniforms they can achieve better lines, and blah blah blah. Hogwash I say! Just give it up and wrap those iconic yellow scarves around your sunbaked necks and bring us some western tunes mixed in with some patriotic stuff that makes the hair on the back of our necks stand up.

SO WHAT IF IT'S NOT SUPPOSEDLY COMPETITIVE! What have they got to lose? How's this new way workin' out?

Maybe by embracing their DNA they will actually set themselves apart as America's Corps again. Sorry to say, but right now there just ain't much to be excited about.

Come back to us Troopers.

Signed Sincerely, Curmudgeon Smith

I have heard/seen this point made, several times, but I feel like one key thing is being completely overlooked....there are fans in the stands at every show that have no idea who the Troopers are. Why should this drum corps give in to this demanding (and shrinking) fan base? What good would it do? I'm sure these kids would much rather impress their friends from their high schools and colleges than impress the old school fan base that they have absolutely no connections with.

Troopers will cease to exist without being competitive.

It sounds harsh, but we have literally the hardest time in DCI recruiting. Just look back to the 90s-2005, where the corps wore older-looking uniforms, scarves, and used G bugles. We were bottom of the barrel and membership was at an all time low.

If it means sacrificing some of that "identity," then you'd better get used to it if you want to see Troopers survive.

I talked to a staff member last year about Troopers history. From the beginning, Troop started the touring drum corps model, invented asymmetrical and curvilinear drill, the rifle for the guard, etc. After a certain point, that stopped. This staff member (who was a soloist for a top corps recently for a few years) said "Innovation should be the tradition."

I know everyone (and I use that loosely... plenty of people hate the Troopers look) loves the old uniform and style, but it doesn't work today and will result in the corps dying, again. Take it from someone with experience.

I completely agree. I hate to say it, but when all of these young fans dream about the day they march, how many of them picture themselves wearing a cowboy hat? My guess...like 2 people. I hate that uniforms carry so much weight in this topic, but they really do. Cool uniforms will actually persuade certain people to audition at a specific drum corps. After all, you spends lotssssss of time in that thing over a season.

Granny, I couldn't possibly have said it better myself. I think there should be a surcharge paid at every dci event at which the Troopers appear if they where to return to their traditional look, music and drill. But only if this surcharge is spelled out in print on every ticket printed. Like Madison, the Troopers should be in it for the experience they afford their members and the entertainment they provide the audience. They're not in it for the competition. There is no genuine competition in a dci contest. Read other Forums to learn what the learned few among us have determined is wrong with the activity . . . THERE IS NO VALUE TO COMPETITION. It is an evil brainwash designed to feed the egos of the adults running the corps.

The mind does not fully develop until the age of 23. And a young mind is a terrible thing to waste by convincing corps members that they are in a fierce contest for 10ths of a point to move up an invisible ladder. As others have argued, it is phony or fixed.

They should be in a corps to learn about life, see the country and make friends. This premise of competition is way, way, way ---did I mention WAY? down the list of priorities.

If you're not in it for the competition, then what keeps you going after hour 6 of a rehearsal, when it's 105 degrees outside?

They should be in a corps to learn about life? I don't care where you march. I don't care if you are the world class champion, or the last place open class corps, you learn about life in these 3 months. And the funny thing, COMPETITION is a HUGE part of life. Every single day is a competition, whether you realize it or not.

Do you think the Kansas City Royals are cool with having the worst record in Major League Baseball? Hell no. They aren't going to sit around and brag about winning the World Series in 1985...they are trying to find a way to climb back to the top. I think it is the most selfish thing when fans want the Troopers to "go back to their roots." Trust me, the members are absolutely proud to be Troopers. They have amazing alumni, amazing fans and support, but they owe it to fans to move forward. They have to go in different directions until they find one that works. News for the old school fans out there: YOU CAN'T USE THE METHODS THAT WORKED 40 AGO. The thing is, fans are not patient...things do not turn around in one season (unless you have the judges on your side, but don't get me started on that). The Kasas City Royals can't just turn things around in one season either. They have to invest lots and lots of time into the right people, and eventually, they will be great again. And this is what Troop is doing. Let them be.

Also, I see everyone saying on this thread that Troopers have lost their 'identity'. Oh really? So what is the Glassmen identity? It must be SO much better than Troops. I mean, they do place higher than Troop every single year. Maybe I'm just confused, because i'm not 23, so my brain hasn't developed yet. Right, 'Martin I. Zing'?

I might be a young one, but I am not one to judge a corps by what people think they should do. I judge a corps by how much the hornline blows me away, how uniform the corps moves around, etc, just excellence in general. I guess that is why I am a huge BD fan.

• Like 4

I have heard/seen this point made, several times, but I feel like one key thing is being completely overlooked....there are fans in the stands at every show that have no idea who the Troopers are. Why should this drum corps give in to this demanding (and shrinking) fan base? What good would it do? I'm sure these kids would much rather impress their friends from their high schools and colleges than impress the old school fan base that they have absolutely no connections with.

I completely agree. I hate to say it, but when all of these young fans dream about the day they march, how many of them picture themselves wearing a cowboy hat? My guess...like 2 people. I hate that uniforms carry so much weight in this topic, but they really do. Cool uniforms will actually persuade certain people to audition at a specific drum corps. After all, you spends lotssssss of time in that thing over a season.

If you're not in it for the competition, then what keeps you going after hour 6 of a rehearsal, when it's 105 degrees outside?

They should be in a corps to learn about life? I don't care where you march. I don't care if you are the world class champion, or the last place open class corps, you learn about life in these 3 months. And the funny thing, COMPETITION is a HUGE part of life. Every single day is a competition, whether you realize it or not.

Do you think the Kansas City Royals are cool with having the worst record in Major League Baseball? Hell no. They aren't going to sit around and brag about winning the World Series in 1985...they are trying to find a way to climb back to the top. I think it is the most selfish thing when fans want the Troopers to "go back to their roots." Trust me, the members are absolutely proud to be Troopers. They have amazing alumni, amazing fans and support, but they owe it to fans to move forward. They have to go in different directions until they find one that works. News for the old school fans out there: YOU CAN'T USE THE METHODS THAT WORKED 40 AGO. The thing is, fans are not patient...things do not turn around in one season (unless you have the judges on your side, but don't get me started on that). The Kansas City Royals can't just turn things around in one season either. They have to invest lots and lots of time into the right people, and eventually, they will be great again. And this is what Troop is doing. Let them be.

Also, I see everyone saying on this thread that Troopers have lost their 'identity'. Oh really? So what is the Glassmen identity? It must be SO much better than Troops. I mean, they do place higher than Troop every single year. Maybe I'm just confused, because I'm not 23, so my brain hasn't developed yet. Right, 'Martin I. Zing'?

I might be a young one, but I am not one to judge a corps by what people think they should do. I judge a corps by how much the hornline blows me away, how uniform the corps moves around, etc, just excellence in general. I guess that is why I am a huge BD fan.

Son, let's take a walk. Can I buy you an ice cream cone? I know you feel like you are in a competition from the moment you wake in the morning until you crash 'n burn at night. Whether it is to get rid rid of that pimple on your cheek or to trump that porky contra player for the attention of the cute little rifle twirler in the guard, you feel like you're competin' full-blast, full-time. Grandpa understands!

But there is one big difference between the competition that you and the Troopers are facing in a dci contest and that being experienced by the Kansas City Royals. THEY ARE IN IT FOR THE MONEY. It is real. It is a business. Yours is fake and phony. Have you seen the movie Blazing Saddles? It is the source of all my wisdom. There is a scene where Mel Brooks and his sidekick Harvey Korman --acting as the Governor and Assistant of the new territory call a meeting and announce, "Gentlemen! We've got to protect our phony baloney jobs!" I imagine a similar meeting is held of all World Class (maybe only top 12 or G7) corps hierarchy immediately following finals as they plot changes governing the "sport". It is at this meeting someone offers a toast, "A young mind is a terrible thing to waste, so let's keep doing it!" Someday son, I'll start a Forum under this title, but I digress.

My point --as made elsewhere-- is that there really is no need for competition because it is all subjective anyway. If the contest were decided on purely entertainment value(i.e., "true" GE), Carolina Crown, The Cadets, Madison Scouts would be battling it out for the title. And if those criteria were put in place, the Troopers could move up to top 5 merely by returning to their classic style. NO ONE IS SUGGESTING A COMPLETE DUMPING OF SOME SORT OF JUDGING AND STANDARDS, but clearly it has moved too far to the dark side. When first time attendees at shows leave with a bad taste for the experience because the 2 or 3 corps they enjoyed THE MOST finish among the lowest, this DOES NOTHING to gain a new fan. With technology available to allow instant audience voting via cellphones AND the ability to gain revenue from the vote also available TODAY, this is clearly on the horizon and promising if acted on quickly.

Finally, you're going to face plenty of competition in your life. You don't need to overdue it on meaningless dribble chasing a tenth of a point on dada. Listen to Papa. Join the Scouts or the Troopers. Learn about life. See the world. Entertain people. Chicks dig you. :winky: And if the Royals were serious about competing they would quit trading their prospects when they get too expensive. Remember the best thing about Kansas City is Gates Barbeque. Now wake-up and brush your teeth.

Grandpa Martin

• Like 2

I saw this show for the first time last night in Broken Arrow. I was expecting to hear Schoenberg or something.

While they didn't play Magnificent Seven, the stuff they played was still distincly American. Sure, it wasn't a "Western show," but it was only maybe a half a standard deviation away from "traditional" Troopers. I agree with other posters that the bigger issue would be (i) performance, and (ii) design from the effect perspective (not from the historical corps perspective).

• Like 1

<snip> And if the Royals were serious about competing they would quit trading their prospects when they get too expensive. Remember the best thing about Kansas City is Gates Barbeque. Now wake-up and brush your teeth.

Grandpa Martin

</topic> As a Giants fan, I'd like to thank the Royals for Melky Cabrera. <topic>

Son, let's take a walk. Can I buy you an ice cream cone? I know you feel like you are in a competition from the moment you wake in the morning until you crash 'n burn at night. Whether it is to get rid rid of that pimple on your cheek or to trump that porky contra player for the attention of the cute little rifle twirler in the guard, you feel like you're competin' full-blast, full-time. Grandpa understands!

But there is one big difference between the competition that you and the Troopers are facing in a dci contest and that being experienced by the Kansas City Royals. THEY ARE IN IT FOR THE MONEY. It is real. It is a business. Yours is fake and phony. Have you seen the movie Blazing Saddles? It is the source of all my wisdom. There is a scene where Mel Brooks and his sidekick Harvey Korman --acting as the Governor and Assistant of the new territory call a meeting and announce, "Gentlemen! We've got to protect our phony baloney jobs!" I imagine a similar meeting is held of all World Class (maybe only top 12 or G7) corps hierarchy immediately following finals as they plot changes governing the "sport". It is at this meeting someone offers a toast, "A young mind is a terrible thing to waste, so let's keep doing it!" Someday son, I'll start a Forum under this title, but I digress.

My point --as made elsewhere-- is that there really is no need for competition because it is all subjective anyway. If the contest were decided on purely entertainment value(i.e., "true" GE), Carolina Crown, The Cadets, Madison Scouts would be battling it out for the title. And if those criteria were put in place, the Troopers could move up to top 5 merely by returning to their classic style. NO ONE IS SUGGESTING A COMPLETE DUMPING OF SOME SORT OF JUDGING AND STANDARDS, but clearly it has moved too far to the dark side. When first time attendees at shows leave with a bad taste for the experience because the 2 or 3 corps they enjoyed THE MOST finish among the lowest, this DOES NOTHING to gain a new fan. With technology available to allow instant audience voting via cellphones AND the ability to gain revenue from the vote also available TODAY, this is clearly on the horizon and promising if acted on quickly.

Finally, you're going to face plenty of competition in your life. You don't need to overdue it on meaningless dribble chasing a tenth of a point on dada. Listen to Papa. Join the Scouts or the Troopers. Learn about life. See the world. Entertain people. Chicks dig you. :winky: And if the Royals were serious about competing they would quit trading their prospects when they get too expensive. Remember the best thing about Kansas City is Gates Barbeque. Now wake-up and brush your teeth.

Grandpa Martin

Condescend much?

• Like 5

Wow, there are some very passionate Trooper fans out there!

Here are a few comments:

I have recordings of the 2007, 2008, and 2009 Trooper shows I play in my car. I do not have the 2010, 2011, or 2012 shows.

There is a yellow Trooper scarf tied to the night table next to my bed. It looks lost.

Someone pointed out in a previous post that last year there was only 1 age out left over from 2007. Can anyone tell me why that is?

By the way, my son marched with the Troopers in 07, 08, and 09. He was on the field in the Lucas Oil Dome when the announcement was made that the Troopers made the finals. That show really connected with a lot of people, young, old, musicians, educators, judges.

I think change is good, but change for the sake of change, not so good.