TROOPERS! Where are you?

Can tell you're a college music major. That's great for you, but the vast majority of people in the crowd just aren't that sophisticated.

My autistic brother understood the show as did my Neanderthalic family. I don't get what was so hard about getting that show.

• Like 1

well i see your point although not everyone feels the same about Surf and enter tainment is very subjective...yes they could feel good about what they are doing and thats cool but wonder now that these same kids got the bug of getting some attention will they go elsewhere for a faster trac....Yes I have heard that from a few of their members but hopefully as you said they could get more in. As for Troopers I still think its more of the how not the what.....or manybe its a combo of both

The issue of kids leaving lower level Corps for higher placing Corps is a separate issue however, imo. This is a problem issue for all lower placing Corps, imo.... irrespective of the type of show they put out on the field. I do understand that perhaps the talent level of the marchers might be down a bit for the Troopers this year. But the Show Theme, music, visual gives them little chance of success this year, no matter their talent level. I see this Corps having a adult staff issue, more than a marching talent issue. But who knows. I wish them well in the future.. because I love this Corps, always will, and want to see them succeed.

Troopers will cease to exist without being competitive.

It sounds harsh, but we have literally the hardest time in DCI recruiting. Just look back to the 90s-2005, where the corps wore older-looking uniforms, scarves, and used G bugles. We were bottom of the barrel and membership was at an all time low.

If it means sacrificing some of that "identity," then you'd better get used to it if you want to see Troopers survive.

I talked to a staff member last year about Troopers history. From the beginning, Troop started the touring drum corps model, invented asymmetrical and curvilinear drill, the rifle for the guard, etc. After a certain point, that stopped. This staff member (who was a soloist for a top corps recently for a few years) said "Innovation should be the tradition."

I know everyone (and I use that loosely... plenty of people hate the Troopers look) loves the old uniform and style, but it doesn't work today and will result in the corps dying, again. Take it from someone with experience.

You can keep the identity, yet be competitive. look at 08-09.....you knew it was TROOP, yet the shows had the modern twists to stay competitive.

And yes, look at recent ( well ok not 09) Phantom and of course Madison since 2010. They have found ways to embrace their identity, and still score well.

Does Troop need to wheel out Silverado, Ghost Riders, Hang Em High, etc every year? No.

But there are ways to maintain the identity even in current design. Cause I gotta tell ya, that Bon jovi show sucked

• Like 1

Go try it for yourself and see if it works out.

The judges and newer fans, including recruitment fodder, want more of the new.

Alumni and older fans want more of the old. Compromise is what we have done since '08, basically, and look where it's gone to.

funny. the last time they truly embraced their heritage was the last time they made finals in 2009.

for the first time since 1986.

so really.....is the new way working out? because we have seen them try and take this approach many times between 1986 and 2008. Didn't work out so those years did it?

The issue of kids leaving lower level Corps for higher placing Corps is a separate issue however, imo. This is a problem issue for all lower placing Corps, imo.... irrespective of the type of show they put out on the field. I do understand that perhaps the talent level of the marchers might be down a bit for the Troopers this year. But the Show Theme, music, visual gives them little chance of success this year, no matter their talent level. I see this Corps having a adult staff issue, more than a marching talent issue. But who knows. I wish them well in the future.. because I love this Corps, always will, and want to see them succeed.

totally agree...adult staff isssue is so important also

I don't want to come off like some Texan with an ego that is as large as the state. But at some point Troopers are going to have to realize that Wyoming is too small and too isolated to make it an attractive place for the best and brightest staff and members to make the trek to. Either driving for hours or making multiple airport connections just to get to the camps. And all this just to march in a corps that is unlikely to make finals again anytime soon.

So maybe it is time to do a Crossmen and go to where their is an abundance of eager kids that would love to march corps, but may not want to travel cross country in order to do it.. Troopers should look into the possibility of moving to Texas. Their look and tradition would fit very nicely here.... plus they already have the hats. You don't have to freeze you behind off during winters camps..... and yes you do eventually get used to the heat. We may have the dumbest governor in the country, but sooner or later he will retire and when he does leave the collective IQ of the state will go up significantly. Twenty-five million people are already here and growing by leaps and bounds, so that is a pretty nice sized talent pool to draw from. Just ask Bluecoats, Cavies, Crown, ect.ect.

one small problem. many kids up here weren't exactly jonesing for the Crossmen to leave. Neither was the alumni

I think Brasso is spot on. So many of your are much better at articulating what I want to say, but can't. Thank you.

I think some corps are hardwired to pursue the score, while others are hardwired to pursue the crowd. This is what I mean by embracing your DNA. The Troopers do themselves and the activity as a whole a disservice when they chase the score.

I am specifically talking about what motivates an organization. It doesn't mean that entertainment and competitive are mutually exclusive, but it does mean that when the perception is you are trying to be something/someone you're not that people lose interest.

The Troopers are the best corps to be the Troopers. The Troopers are the worst corps to be anyone else. Let the Glassmen be the Glassmen. Let the Colts be the Colts. If the Troopers attempt to be like them (which will only happen incrementally) they will be a lousy replica.

Nobody can replicate the Troopers. Nobody. And people LOVE the Troopers...so...

Come back to us Troopers!

I've been a huge Cabs fan since the late 60's, but looking at their finals results the last five years...they have one 2nd and four 5th place finishes. Go back 10 and you add a 1st (yes!!!), a 4th, a 6th and a 7th. Compare this to the years 70-79 where they had 1 3rd, 4 2nd and 5 1st place finishes.

DCA is a much different landscape then back then. for starters, the corps membership is incredibly younger. you don't have over half the corps in with 10 years or more like you did back then