TROOPERS! Where are you?

enter tainment is very subjective.

I would propose that entertainment isn't as subjective as some like to make it out to be. If it is then why does a show like Spartucus make virtually everyone orgasmic? (sorry...I tried to think a better descriptive, but couldn't).

this is very true many cadet alumni felt the same and Allentown wasnt that far.........some older alumni dont want any involvement now

yep. still bitter feelings from both groups too, tho the reasons for the moves were entireley different.

You can keep the identity, yet be competitive. look at 08-09.....you knew it was TROOP, yet the shows had the modern twists to stay competitive.

And yes, look at recent ( well ok not 09) Phantom and of course Madison since 2010. They have found ways to embrace their identity, and still score well.

Does Troop need to wheel out Silverado, Ghost Riders, Hang Em High, etc every year? No.

But there are ways to maintain the identity even in current design. Cause I gotta tell ya, that Bon jovi show sucked

Interesting because one of the best in the business wrote that Bon Jovi show. So now that blows a hole in everything.

The Troopers need to find a way to honor their heritage without being hamstrung by it. There are several corps, in both DCI and DCA, that are struggling to find a balance. The biggest DCA example is the Hawthorne Caballeros, though this year they are making great strides forward.

I would propose that entertainment isn't as subjective as some like to make it out to be. If it is then why does a show like Spartucus make virtually everyone orgasmic? (sorry...I tried to think a better descriptive, but couldn't).

that was just as subjective..granted many [people loved it BUT it wasnt just the show AT ALL

funny. the last time they truly embraced their heritage was the last time they made finals in 2009.

for the first time since 1986.

so really.....is the new way working out? because we have seen them try and take this approach many times between 1986 and 2008. Didn't work out so those years did it?

You need to go check the repertoires from 1988, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1993, 1994 at the very least before you say that.

2009 was like 1986 in that they were finalist years. The others I listed were not.

So the entire argument going in this thread is essentially: Troopers embrace their tradition when they make finals and go stupid bando modern when they do not.

History History History...Can we cool it already!?! These post about the lack of "history and tradition" of the corps are ridiculous. The tradition is still there. Who is the focus composer of the 2012 show? Ummmm yes Americana. 2011? Yes Americana. 2010? Yes Americana. 2009? Yes Americana. 2008? Yes Americana. Uniforms...Yes they are tweeked but fit the tradition.

Many people have said that Troop needs to bring back the show elements that work, such as the sunburst. For years they were told be be innovative. So this year, they started out trying to do both. For anyone who saw the show before Minneapolis, Troop started the show with a 2-minute drum/pit number and during that number horn line and color guard did a modified sunburst, no one noticed it because they were watching the drum line and the judges hated it! (and the scores showed it) so Troop staff redesigned the show to please the judges and the scores started going up. But they lost the sunburst (tradition) and the opening drum number (innovation) hopefully by San Antonio they will have a new closer. As they do more cleaning there is optimism from all the kids in the corps. The sunburst should make a reappearance.

The one thing no one seems to be saying (or noticing) is that those marching with Troop want to be there. If they didn't, they would go somewhere else. It's not like they are all with Troop because no one else would take them. Members in this year's Troop are passionate about the show, the music and being Troopers. As long as kids want to be a Trooper, the corps will live on, no matter where they place in competitions - and it has all this time. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

• Like 3

You need to go check the repertoires from 1988, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1993, 1994 at the very least before you say that.

2009 was like 1986 in that they were finalist years. The others I listed were not.

So the entire argument going in this thread is essentially: Troopers embrace their tradition when they make finals and go stupid bando modern when they do not.

I know the reps from those years. Saw them live each time.

And obviously, reading comprehension is lacking. I said there is a way to have traditional Trooper elements in a show, even while moving forward.

in 09 they showed they can do it.