The noose is back where it belongs!

This is a story from the SCV Alumni page. Great DC history that started over 40 years ago and continues today!

‎1970 after the Milwaukee show when we beat everyone for the first time, the Cavaliers were a bunch of whiners that the "snotty nosed left coasters" beat them. We ended up staying in Cavalier hall in 1971 and Chuck Messimer a contra aka Bernie Schwatrz had Lou Avilla (parent/equipment manager) make a hangmans noose. When we were leaving a couple of us along with Bernie snuck back into their hall and left it on their pool table with a note. "Go Hang Yourselves". They kept that for over 20 years until they beat us again and gave it back to the drum major. Unfortunately, no one in SCV knew of this little item and it got tossed. Some how Rick and talked about this story and since then the drum major has been carrying a noose to return when we beat them.

The noose has now been returned to its proper home!

Edited by oldskl3rings
  • Like 4

'90 was my first year with SCV and we were absolutely fully aware of that story. Tradition does not escape SCV. And i got to see that noose every day after they beat us in Bloomington. We knew it was coming days before because we knew that Cavaliers were serious contenders and we were having trouble with a different closer every couple of weeks. The noose was not lost and it was returned in '97. For a little while. By 1990 the noose had a slightly less hostile nature, as both corps had learned mutual respect. And nearly everyone in our corps was not yet born when the tradition started.

I see it as a fun tradition now. The secret is to not drop below 6th. ;)

• Like 1

In fact, as a rookie. In the pit. It was my job to find a place for that f'n noose. It was there. Every day. For 2 1/2 more summers. And beyond.

I was a happy spectator in '97 when it was finally returned.

Don't worry, guys. We'll keep it nice for you till you see it again.

It very much has become a fun sign of mutual respect between two champions. The exchange happened at our Lisle show between the Drum Majors as it should. Congratulations to SCV and all involved in this great tradition. Till next time....

Hey, oldskl3rings, it was in Michigan City in 1970 with Cavaliers 2nd and Troopers 3rd...Milwaukee was the next day, and you guys did win that, too, with Troopers in 2nd and us 3rd. I forgot you did that at our hall, but it is correct...along with the "snotty nosed left coasters" part. :rolleyes:

Edited by Splooie89
  • Like 6