The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

I have been harping on this very subject for 3 years now. I think the upper lead sops try to hit the highest note possible at the end of every number. Most of the time they never hit the note they are shooting for and releases are irrelevant. last year in their closer there were 6 or 7 leads trying to out scream each other and they must have hung over at least 4 beats after their feature. This is not only amateurish, It degrades everything the brass section is trying to accomplish execution wise. With all the talent the Renegades have, you would think they wouldn't have to resort to such tactics to get a rise out of the audience. I know the judges in DCA don't appreciate it. One sop screaming a correct note and hanging for a split second is acceptable, but the Renegades have taken this to a new level. I would hope that Chris and Frank address this problem before DCA this year. I hate to see a great show downgraded because a few individuals want to be ham bones.

I will leave my opinion out of this one, but I can see that the "Ugly" part of this thread is about to happen. Hide the women and children and RUN!!! b**bs lol

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been harping on this very subject for 3 years now. I think the upper lead sops try to hit the highest note possible at the end of every number. Most of the time they never hit the note they are shooting for and releases are irrelevant. last year in their closer there were 6 or 7 leads trying to out scream each other and they must have hung over at least 4 beats after their feature. This is not only amateurish, It degrades everything the brass section is trying to accomplish execution wise. With all the talent the Renegades have, you would think they wouldn't have to resort to such tactics to get a rise out of the audience. I know the judges in DCA don't appreciate it. One sop screaming a correct note and hanging for a split second is acceptable, but the Renegades have taken this to a new level. I would hope that Chris and Frank address this problem before DCA this year. I hate to see a great show downgraded because a few individuals want to be ham bones.

I will leave my opinion out of this one, but I can see that the "Ugly" part of this thread is about to happen. Hide the women and children and RUN!!! b**bs lol

patter ... patter ... patter ... patter ... patter ... patter ... patter ... patter ... patter ... patter ... patter ... patter ... patter ... patter ... patter ... patter ... patter ... patter ... patter ... patter ... patter ...

(running away)

Lee

Speaking of screaming sopranos, did you catch the announcer at the San Diego show after Renegades went on?  It was something like, "My college band director is in the audience and see - other trumpets hold over too."  Someone needed to slap him.

Yeah...what an inappropriate comment from an announcer. <_<

But, I guess that's what you get for those screamin' sops. Good thing I'm behind them the entire show except for the end of "Tears in Heaven". Would otherwise be deaf by now... :lol::lol:

Guest sssidney12

Why, with such INCREDIBLE MUSIC and EVEN MORE INCREDIBLE POTENTIAL in this show of some unbelievably SUPERIOR musical content must we apply the “high loud and fast” factor and have such UNMUSICAL soprano involvement?  WHY???  It bothered me because I’m listening to Russian Christmas and just loving it, when all of a sudden, WHAM!!  I was reminded that this was a senior corps!  You see my point?  Yeah… I KNOW they’re a senior corps…but Renegades to me is TRULY on the cusp of raising the standard bar another notch higher for the entire activity.  Because in my humble and semiprofessional opinion, Renegades can lay off of the quite frankly irritating screaming sops at what I consider to be the wrong places in the show, AND STILL RETAIN the image they have have so masterfully cultivated over these years.  AND on top of that, raise the bar above all the other senior corps and say “HEY!  Look at what WE can do!” and challenge the notion (without turning into a “junior corps” and forgetting audience) that senior corps HAVE to do the “high loud and fast” thing to be successful.  I haven’t a clue what the DCA judging sheets credit in terms of musical performance, but I can’t for the life of me imagine Renegades, with such INCREDIBLE MUSIC (how many times do I have to say it!!!?) and INCREDIBLE PERFORMERS, getting credit for what I can only call simply inappropriate playing from their sops.  WHY???  Yeah…they’re great players!  I love a screaming sop just as much as anyone.  But during Russian Christmas?  During Ave Maria?  I'll even take the plunge and say that type of playing is bordering on immature.   

hhmmmm... inappropriate.... Hey, maybe we can play a thrash version of America the Beautiful this weekend.

:lol:

Thanks for the wonderful review. I hope that Fever's future is as strong as you say it will be.

I figured it out! ALL BY MYSELF!! That little circle on the upper left chest area of their uniform…it’s a degree marking!! Get it?? FEVER…DEGREE…I figured it out!!

The circle on the uniform is actually represenative of the sun. If you take a close look, our uniform is a picture of the horizon. Looking over the crops of the central valley. It can also be seen in the image for this years program "Out of Nowhere"

tshirt.jpg

Hey Ryan, thanks for the review. They've been few and far between on DCP for some reason this year.

To second a few of the things you said, as a former DM myself I also appreciated Sam Signorelli holding his salute for the length of the stands, including very impressively switching to backstrides and marching backwards as he trooped in front of the Renegades at the San Diego show Saturday night. Very cool. :-)

Sunday night was also my only time seeing Impulse this year. It was a great show. I would like to steal the "book" prop & put it in the pit for the Renegades' remaining California shows, though - after "Tears in Heaven" we can flip it open to the "The End" page so the audience will know our show is over. (This won't be necessary after we install Evil Ending #7.1 within the next few weeks.)

Something I noticed in comparing this year's Renegades to SCD, RCR and other DCA corps I have heard in the past...with the exception of Ave Maria, the quick feature in 9R2, and the Bari solo at the end of "Tears" (Gilman?), we don't have any traditional brass solos in the show. That's way different than years past when Larrie Dastrup or Rich Duarte would peel paint, or Chris Nalls would unleash the Laser Trill of Terror. So I think the lead sops are busting at the seams...maybe we need to add a few featured solos to the show to ease the pressure?

The Renegades have built a reputation on higher faster louder. Screaming sops are what brought me to this corps and I personally love the aggression of a high brass sound. This year’s show was not written with that in mind and you have a lot of talent trying to hold back. I have not had to deal with such a change in strategy since the 85 Blue Devils but eventually you find your groove. It's a little like the Renegades recruited a group of quarter horses to run fast and now want them to pull carriages around central park! Fear not, it will be clean and tasteful with just a taste a brass to #### you control freaks off. All I can say is the closing statement is being planned and I would highly suggest that an opportunity should be written for the sops to release that pent up energy!!

Fear not, it will be clean and tasteful with just a taste a brass to #### you control freaks off.

Control freak? I KNEW this was going to happen...oh well.

That really wasn't MY intent in the review to be a control freak, nor do I think Benny's intent was as well.

Still loving the Renegades...

Ryan

Fear not, it will be clean and tasteful with just a taste a brass to #### you control freaks off.

Control freak? I KNEW this was going to happen...oh well.

That really wasn't MY intent in the review to be a control freak, nor do I think Benny's intent was as well.

Still loving the Renegades...

Ryan

Ryan control freak was not meant for you.

I really enjoyed your review and understand your point. My comment was more torward the curent state of jr corps where corps are afraid to cut loose with their music anymore. One more time Chuck Corea is one of my favorite tunes because of it's flat out in you face style. Yes, the Renegades show was not written in that style this year and some indescretions are being made. Playing like a violin sucks in my opinion. Renegadesl always do things a little differently than the rest of the crowd other wise we should call ourselves the San Francisco Sheep.

Keep the reviews coming but beware, I've got a double C ready to hit you between the eyes. :P