Anyone know status of VK?

I did not have to speak with any of them; and neither do you; All I, or you, need to do is just read what they wrote in their own words (please read the letter from the Teal Sound director in the Teal Thread, or the response from the Revo Director in the Revo thread, etc...) They all admitted that they knew they did not have the funds to go out on tour before they ever left home. That, sir, was not looking out for the safety and welfare of the youth, and that, sir, is my real beef with what they did!

So were they expecting a magical visit from the money fairy somewhere on I 74?

You know what? Screw looking at the instructional staff to see if they have college degrees in music, how about looking at the management for credentials? What training is out there for directors, treasurers and board members so they don't make decisions like that?

• Like 1

So were they expecting a magical visit from the money fairy somewhere on I 74?

You know what? Screw looking at the instructional staff to see if they have college degrees in music, how about looking at the management for credentials? What training is out there for directors, treasurers and board members so they don't make decisions like that?

LOL!!! I was a part of VK recently. I DO know kids that marched VK 2012. They WERE told and did PAY (at least some) for a season to include finals. They backed out. VK is a mess and has been for a while. That is common knowledge here on the west coast, especially in southern Ca. I'm not here to bash on anyone. I don't know what the refund status is for the kids who DID pay their dues. Let DCI do its job and deal with VK. We all want as many corps to survive and grow strong in every sense. Even VK. We just want things to be honest, upfront, and less nonsense finger pointing. Lets all just hope that VK and all the other corps struggling will find a way to get strong. But I think we all agree - whatever is going on in some of these corps is not working (including VK) and changes need to be made.

..training? I thought it was common sense to have the cash in hand before you "make the purchase"...guess I was waaaaaaaay off..

Here is where many of these corps directors appear to be getting their training in common sense: link

• Like 1

Ok so I hope that this reply will put an end to all the speculation and wrong information being given. Unlike some of you I won't hide behind a screen name, my name is Ernie and I am the Assistant Director at VK, I was also involved with Impulse from 2002-2009. Enough about that, well to answer your questions the decision to not attend finals was a sound decision seeing that not even 20% of the kids paid the tour fees and also also that fundraising was available since January. So please before you comment please know all the facts. We had a parent meeting in June to notify the parents of the decision not to attend finals which was a sound one and all the parent agreed. All you guys wanna do is bash Mayra and Troy when you have no clue how hard both of them work for the kids, I understand everyone is entitled to their own opinion but you blast a organization when you don't know all the facts makes you sound ignorant.If anyone you want to talk them send me a message but this has got to stop. Mayra only has to answer to the parents and the board and no to any of you. Have any of you attended a rehearsal or cooked food or drove? I didn't think so, this is the problem with Open class in Southern California we are so quick to judge instead of trying to help each other. That is all from me, I hope this shears some light

• Like 5

...not even 20% of the kids paid the tour fees... and also also that fundraising was available since January..

See bold as to why 80% of the kids should have been removed from the corps and never allowed on the bus; see bold as to why all drum corps should be ran 'as' a business 'by' business minded people; see bold as to why projected income should never, never, never, be relied upon to run a business, ever; see bold as to why there are only a fraction of corps left in existence; ...

• Like 2

Ok so I hope that this reply will put an end to all the speculation and wrong information being given. Unlike some of you I won't hide behind a screen name, my name is Ernie and I am the Assistant Director at VK, I was also involved with Impulse from 2002-2009. Enough about that, well to answer your questions the decision to not attend finals was a sound decision seeing that not even 20% of the kids paid the tour fees and also also that fundraising was available since January. So please before you comment please know all the facts. We had a parent meeting in June to notify the parents of the decision not to attend finals which was a sound one and all the parent agreed. All you guys wanna do is bash Mayra and Troy when you have no clue how hard both of them work for the kids, I understand everyone is entitled to their own opinion but you blast a organization when you don't know all the facts makes you sound ignorant.If anyone you want to talk them send me a message but this has got to stop. Mayra only has to answer to the parents and the board and no to any of you. Have any of you attended a rehearsal or cooked food or drove? I didn't think so, this is the problem with Open class in Southern California we are so quick to judge instead of trying to help each other. That is all from me, I hope this shears some light

Well put Ernie. I agree with most of everything you said. No bashing here! But, The majority of people involved in drum corps in So Cal (and nationwide) have seen, for several years, The Velvet Knights run poorly. I'm not pointing a finger at anyone, or saying one particular person or couple, are completely responsible. But there is, without argument, many many people who have seen the shenanigans.

Making sound judgement calls on not going to finals is to be commended. But, like everything else, how and when you come to those decisions makes all the difference.

Look at Impulse - they have purposely not gone to finals for several years now. They are upfront with everyone from the beginning about NOT going to finals (before kids sign on and pay) and they are open with the drum corps world about why. In my opinion, an honest way of going about business. It isnt ALL of our imaginations that the person mostly responsible for the calls made at VK has not handled business the best way. I have driven a vehicle, I have helped feed the kids, I have seen first hand - and I know many others who experienced the same thing as I at VK.

There have been so many great people who have tried to help VK (staff, support staff, volunteers etc) who will never put their name on the organization again.

The problem is that anything done the right way now MAY be a little too late for VK. I hope not. I hope VK turns around. I hope all the Open Class corps grow stronger and reputations are rebuilt over time.

Just remember - people are not naive when it comes to drum corps and VK. We are all NOT imagining what we have experienced, and seen first hand.

I wish EVERYONE at VK the best and hope things are able to be turned around. But it isn't going to be easy or happen overnight.

• Like 1

The majority of people involved in drum corps in So Cal (and nationwide) have seen, for several years, The Velvet Knights run poorly. I'm...pointing..a..finger at..a..couple, that are completely responsible.

Look at Impulse - an honest business. It isn't ALL of our imaginations that the person mostly responsible for the calls made at VK has not handled business the best way. (pushing like button)

I have driven a vehicle, I have helped feed the kids, I have seen first hand - and I know many others who experienced the same thing as I at VK. (repeatedly pushing like button)

There have been so many great people who have tried to help VK (staff, support staff, volunteers etc) who will never put their name on the organization again. (pushing disappointed button)

Just remember - people are not naive when it comes to drum corps and VK. We are all NOT imagining what we have experienced, and seen first hand. (getting finger cramp from pushing fact button)

I wish..VK..to be turned around. (where the heck is the absolutely button?)

"You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting" best line from A Knight's Tale when the good guys finally prevail.

EAC12, Stu, Aquanet (wth?) you all have made some very valid arguments. Ernie and Roger have tried to defend Mayra & Troy valiantly. The topic gets jumbled when people go off on tangents about the 'direction the corps is going in now' 'the alumni don't like new members' (which has NEVER been true btw) 'new corps, same old name' the bottom line is that the corps has had money issues from the beginning (fact - unless Mayra was not being truthful about the loans they have taken out to pay Corps bills, and the house Troy once owned) by a couple that are not business majors (fact - supported by their own bios), only 1 of them has some drum corps experience (fact - Troy marched VK), there has been a neglegent amount of nepatism on their BOD (fact - since 2010, Mayra and Troy have remained 2 of 3/sometimes 4 BOD), and they have basically been dodging 'drum corps forclosure' for a number of years now (total opinion based on mentioned facts). Sadly I have direct experience.

Ernie, I know and respect you, but you're wrong when you say that Mayra only has to answer to the parents and the BOD. By Mayra and Troy taking over, not only the name VK, but the face of Jack on their souvies, they are propagating the image of the fun-loving and quirky group that crowds have come to know and love. By undertaking this homage, they have become obliged to not only the crowds that see them on the dci tour sched and get their hopes up (fact by this topic surfacing in multiple locations), but also to the alumni, and most importantly the current members. I know you get what I'm saying, but if this were happening with Impulse I think you would have a little more empathy (total opinion). However, for those that don't understand what kind of family/fan relationship bonds are formed when you march, perform, or teach, this notion is completely lost. If the issue were only about why VK would even flirt with the idea of going on a full tour completely based upon member fees, then you would have a valid point about the timing. If it were about the amount of effort Troy & Mayra put out, or their own money that they have put in, then again you would have some very understandable points. I'm sorry, it's not. It's about the dishonesty, the mistreatment of many wonderful members, staff, parents, and fans, the mistreatment of funds and the incomprehensible advertising of something they simply are not. When Jack Bevins' own daughter feels that he has been completely abused by Mayra, in his own words (and hers), when DCI intervenes and not only makes a committee to oversee all the allegations against her (fact), but tells her she needs to step down as director and it's announced at the 2011 RCC show(fact), then on some level people have to start wondering what the heck is going on. She maintains that it's 'haters' 'a few key people' that are causing her trouble, but it seems to be coming from more than a few directions. If you have seen something different in the time you've spent there, then that's a good sign that maybe they are starting to turn things around. Members receiving a refund and staff being paid would be a really good sign.

I don't think anyone wished any ill will to the name, the members, the group as a whole, IMO. It's just heartbreaking to see talented young musicians being led astray at the whims of someone that in Roger's own type of analogy 'only has a ticket to get into Disneyland, but has never even been inside the gates, and now wants to run the park'.