Anyone know status of VK?

I am curious to know what committee that you are talking about. Because I was with Mayra at the DCI meeting in 2011 and I sat in on the meeting with Jeff Fiedler and Tom Hope, a

So when was announced that was was being removed, was there an announcement by DCI? Because I was there at the RCC show in 2011. Please tell me where you get your facts?

• Like 2

I am curious to know what committee that you are talking about. Because I was with Mayra at the DCI meeting in 2011 and I sat in on the meeting with Jeff Fiedler and Tom Hope, a

So when was announced that was was being removed, was there an announcement by DCI? Because I was there at the RCC show in 2011. Please tell me where you get your facts?

Its true Ernie: No one wants the VK to go down. No one wants the Alumni, Members or Staff to be hurt. You cannot deny, and will never win any arguement, or be able to defend what is being stated. VK is in huge financial trouble. And it is fact that DCI has intervened. I don't think anyone here (at least I'm not) trying to hurt anyone including the folks who run VK. The track record is exactly what it is. The corps has been run very poorly and it isn't going to work out, when all is said and done!

Your reputation will be on the line more and more - the longer you stay involved. I know several very honorable, well respected people who have walked away from VK to ensure their own reputation is saved. (I know two Percussion people specifically who are very well respected, professional who left just because of these issues).

If your fighting the good fight to save VK, other things will have to change, and several years will have to by before VK is able to gain any momentum. Just be careful bro.

Edited by Toby
Removed Personal Attack - TS

I will say this, my reputation is fine I teach at one of the top high marching bands in the State of California, and the people that know me know how I am and seeing that I have been on the percussion staff for two years who were the instructors that decided to leave? Please state your facts, when did DCI intervene? I am curious to know because like I said I go to 90% of the meetings with Mayra and there is a reason why I do that. I am not worried about my reputation at all because I know who I am. The bottom line is we all do this activity to give youth an opportunity to perform and enjoy this activity we call Drum Corp and that will not change. No matter what people put on blogs I will still be there for the kids and pass on the knowledge that previous instructors passed on to me. And by the way VK is NOT IN FINANCIAL TROUBLE so once again please get your facts straight.... But thank you for your concern

• Like 1

I will say this, my reputation is fine I teach at one of the top high marching bands in the State of California, and the people that know me know how I am and seeing that I have been on the percussion staff for two years who were the instructors that decided to leave? Please state your facts, when did DCI intervene? I am curious to know because like I said I go to 90% of the meetings with Mayra and there is a reason why I do that. I am not worried about my reputation at all because I know who I am. The bottom line is we all do this activity to give youth an opportunity to perform and enjoy this activity we call Drum Corp and that will not change. No matter what people put on blogs I will still be there for the kids and pass on the knowledge that previous instructors passed on to me. And by the way VK is NOT IN FINANCIAL TROUBLE so once again please get your facts straight.... But thank you for your concern

Your right that we are in this for the youth, the members!! I know where you teach. Most everyone does. I certainly don't question your rep. Again brother, you will not be able to argue what has happened. Putting out specific things would not be in good taste. DCI has intervened. People have been mislead. Members and parents have been mislead. Staff has been screwed. If you personally have found a good place for yourself being involved with VK - that is awesome. Hopefully things will improve at VK. And hopefully you will not experience what some of us have been a part of and experienced first hand.

I truly believe the future will tell. We will see where VK is in a couple/few years. Right? Good luck brother - all the respect!

It is amazing to me that so many people in the drum corps community have a hard time understanding that promising music, drill, performances, travel, DCI Finals, etc... is actually 'not' looking out for the kids! The way to actually look out for the kids is to run a solvent business corporation!!!

Edited by Stu

Here is what one member had to say in a FB conversation:

EAC12

wasnt VK a bunch of ########?

49481_100000390232575_440081380_q.jpghonestly, yeah. Just really disorganized and a lot of sketchy business going on.

Although Stephanie was a really good tech.

EAC12

What kinda sketchy business going on?

49481_100000390232575_440081380_q.jpgJust with financial stuff. I feel like our fees should've been drastically reduced since we didn't go on full tour.

The conversation goes on, but you get the idea.

Edited by EAC12

Ernie, either Tom and Catherine quit, or they were fired. Which is it?0

He won't know. Only Tom and Katherine know what really happened. But I think we all know there would almost be no reason for the VK organization to "Fire" The Floats for any legitimate reason.

Ernie, either Tom and Catherine quit, or they were fired. Which is it?0

Edited by EAC12

See bold as to why 80% of the kids should have been removed from the corps and never allowed on the bus; see bold as to why all drum corps should be ran 'as' a business 'by' business minded people; see bold as to why projected income should never, never, never, be relied upon to run a business, ever; see bold as to why there are only a fraction of corps left in existence; ...

Uh Stu... They made a sound business decision and lived within their means. From my understanding, all intentions were for the corps to tour. That said, ifthe membership can't keep up their end of the bargain and pay their fees, then something has got to give. What else did you want them to do?

• Like 2

It was 2010. You weren't there yet.

You probably weren't there when the Boy Scouts pulled their endorsement, either. Something about 50 complaint letters, BSA banning management from involvement until they investigated, and management defying that ban, resulting in BSA dropping VK?

Ask questions. Get real answers. Don't be surprised if you're tenure is limited when you do.

Edited by CrunchyTenor
  • Like 2