Why do you have to "get" a show to enjoy it?

It kinda goes along the same lines as when I went to school, and my theory teacher said it would be nearly impossible to just sit and enjoy music for music's sake anymore. You'll always want to analyze it.

I'm happy to say she was wrong. I can listen constructively, but I also retained the ability to just kick back and enjoy. It's the same in drum corps. I don't have to know what navel-gazing theme the design team thought up. If they play well, march well and spin well, I'm in.

Garry in Vegas

I would even add to the discussion the question of why even have themes for shows any more period. If all is needed for an enjoyable show is to march well, play well, and spin well (which I agree with), why are the convoluted show themes even needed in the first place?

What a retro idea...

I would even add to the discussion the question of why even have themes for shows any more period. If all is needed for an enjoyable show is to march well, play well, and spin well (which I agree with), why are the convoluted show themes even needed in the first place?

What a retro idea...

why not?

I think a show theme can be interesting BUT even if I dont get a show theme I can appreciate it if its done well for all the same reasons you just said...IF I cant enjoy for reasons that the music or visuals arent holding my attention no matter what the theme is....then theres a problem.......We dont have to understand everything to enjoy it or appreciate its value.

Most people like to feel that they can emotionally connect to a drum corps show, and equate their personal enjoyment with "great" shows.

this. with todays tour set up, often fans have one chance to see a show live. it's entertainment folks...you have one shot to make a great impression. and if fans felt emotionally cold, it's a turn off.

and a vocal complaint for years about modern programming by fans no longer going to shows

• Like 1

I don't think you have to get much, and I don't need much to get into a show. I just like well crafted arrangements/compositions of music. Music itself should tell its own story and the visual is just complimentary.

Blue Knights 2006 was one of those shows that I loved. It didn't tell a story. Dark Knights was centered around "dark music" and it was effective while the music did what it was supposed to. I seem to remember them doing well in the effect caption.

Edited by Matthew

You mean appreciate music and movement that compliment each other without the need to be told a story, or have a concept rammed down our throats in 12 minutes? Blasphemy.

So am I a heathen Dino? :devil: LOL, I burn out enough brain cells at my IT/database job and like to turn off the thinking when I relax (must be why I like some "Adult Swim" shows). I just go to enjoy the music and movement and if there is some kind of connectin between the songs I really don't bother to think about it.

Now why did MBI (DCA) look like a bunch of Vikings last year? :tongue:

s/ Guy who loved the show "Get On the Bus" from a few years back....