It is sad when we cannot attend an event and feel safe

This one affects me personally because I grew up in Aurora, I have been to this theatre with my nieces and nephews many times, my Dad lives a mile from the apartment complex you keep seeing on the TV this morning and I played golf across the street from it just last Friday. Aurora is just like any other city that its has it's share of good and bad. I was on my way home around 1AM this morning and I heard a lot of sirens in the distance and I thought it must have been a police involved shooting of some sort.

But seeing this unfold today and reading a story this past week about a bomb search during a Detroit Tiger game and how regularly this happens at sporting events has me wondering, if you cannot be safe at a theatre, how safe are we at a drum corps show or any show for that matter? Do we now live in a society where we have to be screened at any public venue we visit?

This brings up too many memories of Columbine :(

• Like 3

As sad and terrible as it is that we have anyone like this in the world, at least it's very rare for this kind of thing to happen. I don't feel less safe attending any public event, but it's still sick and horrible what happened.

• Like 1

Mentioning potential danger at drum corps shows reminds me of what happened at a drum corps contest out east in the early 1960s.

I'd have to search my hand-written notes to find the particulars, but, a young lady, who attended this show would have been murdered underneath the bleachers.

Luckily for her a quiet segment of a corps program saved her life. A man was strangling her, but her screams were heard by others who rushed to her defense.

Creepy indeed.

This one affects me personally because I grew up in Aurora, I have been to this theatre with my nieces and nephews many times, my Dad lives a mile from the apartment complex you keep seeing on the TV this morning and I played golf across the street from it just last Friday. Aurora is just like any other city that its has it's share of good and bad. I was on my way home around 1AM this morning and I heard a lot of sirens in the distance and I thought it must have been a police involved shooting of some sort.

But seeing this unfold today and reading a story this past week about a bomb search during a Detroit Tiger game and how regularly this happens at sporting events has me wondering, if you cannot be safe at a theatre, how safe are we at a drum corps show or any show for that matter? Do we now live in a society where we have to be screened at any public venue we visit?

Scary and tragic, for sure. It's one thing to see senseless acts of violence on TV, far removed from where you lay your head... but it's something completely different when it happens practically on your door step. I don't have the numbers to say for sure, but it seems to me like this sort of stuff is becoming entirely too commonplace.... or maybe it's just that the media is getting faster about reporting this sort of thing.

This is tragedy beyond words and just utterly insane. However I believe it's a mistake to fear going to sports events or DCI shows or movie theaters because of events like these. We are all thousands of times more likely to die in a car crash driving to work than we are to be a victim of this kind of event. We should grieve for the victims, but we can't let this kind of thing affect our lives.

• Like 2

Mentioning potential danger at drum corps shows reminds me of what happened at a drum corps contest out east in the early 1960s.

I'd have to search my hand-written notes to find the particulars, but, a young lady, who attended this show would have been murdered underneath the bleachers.

Luckily for her a quiet segment of a corps program saved her life. A man was strangling her, but her screams were heard by others who rushed to her defense.

Creepy indeed.

That's the great thing about drum corps people. They don't just walk by and not put themselves in potential danger, which to me, is despicable if you see somebody else in danger like that.

• Like 1

This was so sad.. so horrible. I still feel safe at Drum Corps shows. Maybe I shouldn't, but I do.

Such a terrible event in Colorado history. This put perspective on life as we know it. I was at a midnight showing of the batman movie. It could have just as easily been my movie theatre. However, this won't stop me from going to movies/concerts in the future. However, this will be in the back of my mind and so many others when you go out for a movie.

I hope that the effects of this tragedy don't reach too far into the drum corps world. I will be thinking in particular of the members of the Blue Knights along with the families and friends of the victims.

I am so shaken up this morning. I live in Lakewood CO, outside of Denver. Born and raised in Colorado and so this event is very chilling to me. I hate to make connections to Columbine, but it is hard not to in these circumstances. I remember being in third grade and being under our desks on lockdown while Columbine was going on, since we were about 6 miles from the school. It's just crazy.

I was in Denver last night for dinner after I got off of work, and I was going to meet a group of my friends in Aurora to see this movie at midnight, and we were debating between this theater and another theater in Southern Aurora. I decided not to go since I work a twelve hour day today at my two jobs, and they decided to go to the other theater in Southern Aurora. I woke up in the middle of the night just not feeling too good mentally, and I get on Facebook and my phone explodes with status updates from people posting about this tragedy and posting articles and whatnot. Just a crazy experience. I'm glad everyone I know is OK, and my thoughts are going out to everyone affected by this tragedy.

On a day like today, talking about scores and debating about visual demands and amplification and Bb versus G... it all seems so silly. I suppose we just need to remember what is important in life. This doesn't mean we can't be passionate about drum corps and have opinions and share those opinions, because we need to be passionate about this activity in order for it to survive. However, I think we need to remember that when we get flustered, frustrated, or overly-passionate about something so small, there are other things in life that are more upsetting or more worth our energy and emotion. Be passionate and have an opinion... but just remember how that all fits into the bigger picture of our lives.

The thing I learned as a marching member is to live in the moment and take nothing for granted. Yes, we need to think ahead and plan for the future, but if all you do is plan and think ahead then you are never truly living! We need to be able to enjoy life as it happens, in addition to thinking ahead.

Enough of a ramble. All in all, be safe and enjoy your life. Live in the moment when you can and live with perspective. GO VANGUARD!

Dylan Ford

SCV 2011

• Like 7

A buddy of mine is at one of the many hospitals where the wounded were taken to called to tell me a man ran into the hospital with a photo of his son asking if anybody has seen him. Very sad.

A 6 year old confirmed dead. I cannot imagine what the parents are going thru. Prayers to all the victims and their loved ones.

I know this is a little off topic for this forum, I don't think there is a lot of drum corps folks from Aurora. I can name probably everyone that has marched in the past 30 years or so. A real tight knit community, but Gateway HS is just down the street from the theatre. Gateway has had a lot of success in WGI lately.

Excuse me while I vent. My day off and I'm very sad and frustrated about this tragedy....

Edited by bstar82