So THAT'S the TOC?

Well, if that was a TOC show, then I'm not impressed. Is that really worth the extra money? No. And as Jeff noted, this time of the season requires the corps to hunker down and clean clean clean. With the temperatures we have been experiencing there simply is NOT enough time to do all the extras. As it is the corps are not as clean at this point in part because I think they have had to take it easy on outdoor practice hours.

Yes, the G7 wants to control profits, but what happens when some of those G7 corps are no longer in the club or in top 8?

I usually applaud the Cadets for always having a lot of repertoire in their book, and they tend to give excellent encore concerts. But this can be done at any DCI show. I haven't seen anything at a TOC show that couldn't be done easily by the other corps. It's not like they drastically improved the show experience. They said they were going to, but I don't see that.

Edited by jwillis35

Anyone know the attendance #'s for last night?

Not a number, but a pic from Cadets twitter feed

Cadets twitter pic

And I haven't been this year so I don't know what's going on now, but last year at the Meadowlands, they had small ensembles performing outside where souvies and concessions were between shows. Tough to experience when you're waiting for the next corps or watching an instant encore, but I get the idea.

Edited by Shamu89

This may be bad form, but why was boston added to the tour of champions this year?...

Because they finished in the top 8 last year and Blue Stars didn't.

Cadets twitter pic

And I haven't been this year so I don't know what's going on now, but last year at the Meadowlands, they had small ensembles performing outside where souvies and concessions were between shows. Tough to experience when you're waiting for the next corps or watching an instant encore, but I get the idea.

EDIT: Probably inaccurate due to incorrect picture...

That looks to be about 6000 fans +-, times an average ticket price of $35, is $210,000 gate +-, minus 1/9th (11.1% for DCI) leaves about $23,300 per corps take.

Just figuring that's a pretty good take even if DCI only gets $24,000 to market the event.

Not sure that the G7 have much to complain about if that math is true. Unless they each want the $3000 each they gave DCI to market it.

Edited by garfield

Cadets twitter pic

I recognize the press box and the North Texas title. That was the Denton show. Sorry.

• Like 1

EDIT: Probably inaccurate due to incorrect picture...

That looks to be about 6000 fans +-, times an average ticket price of $35, is $210,000 gate +-, minus 1/9th (11.1% for DCI) leaves about $23,300 per corps take.

Just figuring that's a pretty good take even if DCI only gets $24,000 to market the event.

Not sure that the G7 have much to complain about if that math is true. Unless they each want the $3000 each they gave DCI to market it.

You obviously knew where I was going with this, but would really need to know the attendance to get an acurate number. Also would assume there are expenses for the facility, security, promotion etc.

I haven't done the research, and no one answered my question in another post, but I'm not so sure that it was ever made public how the revenue would be divided, or even if it is any different than any other DCI show as far as payoffs to the corps.

Well, if that was a TOC show, then I'm not impressed. Is that really worth the extra money? No.

Yes, the G7 wants to control profits, but what happens when some of those G7 corps are no longer in the club or in top 8?

I did enjoy the enmasse encore performance from last night. That was awesome.... but other than that, the show had all the look and feel of a regular show with any number of random Corps at shows.... As for your 2nd qustion, its a good one, imo. Lest we forget, Phantom Regiment would not have qualified for the TOC if this concept started in 2010. Furthermore, Cavaliers are hanging on by a thread right now to TOC qualification for 2013.....the whole concept of a TOC in my view is divisive within the DCI World Class Division. There are plenty of years where " the top acts " ( as the original G7 coined themselves ) in my opinion can be shows from Corps that are below the top finishing 8. Without naming names, I enjoyed the shows of a couple of Corps that did not finish in the top 8 last year more than a couple that did finish in the top 8.

Edited by BRASSO

If I recall correctly the TOC compromise was a two year trial and temporary solution to the G7 requests. Does this ring a bell with anyone else? This is the second year. There are rumblings that the G7 is not dead, only building steam or at least politicking behind the scenes.

My real hope is that one or more of the original G7 directors bails, and the no more directors get carried away with their corps own self importance. I would love to see Madison, Boston (or any other corps) crack the top 7 and break up this game. Time will tell.

As far as the TOC shows go, maybe all the extras were happening at the event and just not shown on FN? I think the events were listed on dci.org, so I'll assume that had some things going on to promote the TOC thing.

Correct, it's a 2 year money grab during a time when our economy is at it's worst. Well played G7 .. well played.

I don't recall hearing a Crown brass ensemble during intermission. According to reports from those who went to the show .. this took place. Having NOT heard it on FN .. it makes me wonder how undead that crowd really was.