So THAT'S the TOC?

I did enjoy the enmasse encore performance from last night. That was awesome.... but other than that, the show had all the look and feel of a regular show with any number of random Corps at shows.... As for your 2nd qustion, its a good one, imo. Lest we forget, Phantom Regiment would not have qualified for the TOC if this concept started in 2010. Furthermore, Cavaliers are hanging on by a thread right now to TOC qualification for 2013.....the whole concept of a TOC in my view is divisive within the DCI World Class Division. There are plenty of years where " the top acts " ( as the original G7 coined themselves ) in my opinion can be shows from Corps that are below the top finishing 8. Without naming names, I enjoyed the shows of a couple of Corps that did not finish in the top 8 last year more than a couple that did finish in the top 8.

Blue Stars lost out on it right away. Cavies are in danger. If this format stays in place, we could see Madison and Boston in there next year.... or dare I say Spirit of Atlanta.

I also agree about your "TOP CORPS" idea. I think placement is rubbish. But how are you going to quantify which are the top 8 shows? A fan vote? A Directors vote? Or a judges vote?

Edited by supersop
  • Like 1

Blue Stars lost out on it right away. Cavies are in danger. If this format stays in place, we could see Madison and Boston in there next year.... or dare I say Spirit of Atlanta.

I don't understand this line of thinking. How did the Blue Stars "lost out on it right away"? And why are the Cavies considered "in danger"?

All the corps agreed that this tour of champions would be a financial reward for the corps that finished in the top 8 the previous season. The Blue Stars were a bubble corp in the first year so I think they realized they had a chance not to be in the top 8 the next year. While the Cavies low placement this season is a surprise to everyone, they also agreed to the "top 8" concept. And if if Spirit of Atlanta places in the top 8 then bravo for them!

So why all the angst about who's moving in and out of the Tour of Champions? I would think the debate over who finishes in the top 8 of the season would be the drum corp version of March Madness.

I recognize the press box and the North Texas title. That was the Denton show. Sorry.

Whoops, my bad. Guess I should check dates on tweets before posting pics. Thanks for the catch and clarification.