Hot, Hot, Hotlanta

My mistake, and I agree that BD's guard has not been up to standard this year. Guess the judges like the hula hoops.

If it's just around a tenth of a point, it's a matter of judges opinion. At least that's what I heard Dave Gibbs and Jeff Fiedler say some years back, might be referring to overall score?

I can report that it has NO effect on them at all! Sadly, since 2008, it's been a way of life! As a matter of fact...some day (in galaxy far, far away) when drum corps fans again find grace and appreciation for the quality and hard work of this extraordinary group of designers and MM's....the MM's will look at each other and say...."What's this cheering stuff ....it's kinda cool."

Congratulations to the Blue Devils for their win tonite..... and for remaining undefeated. The Corps has no section weakness that might bring them down. They are clearly in the drivers seat and will be tough. Only one Corps has a shot now of catching them and thats Crown. 11 tenths is not insurmountable. But BD is clearly in a great position right now.

News flash...CHILL. I mean come on people, 16,000 plus people broke an attendance record. Can we just all agree for once? Sure, some scores might not be what one expected, but come on...let's get it together. People will boo, people will cheer, and this activity will still march forward. (No pun intended)

Atlanta has really had a cool vibe the last several years, and the setting is fantastic in the dome. It's been a better crowd than Allentown of late.

• Like 1

We were booed at two midwest shows in 1988...1988, the year many here mention when they say "I wish the Blue Devils would play something like..."

It must have been the uniforms...

• Like 1

time to change your underwear, bitter betty.

Time to stop trying to justify classless behavior. You can't disagree with the judges without also believing that BD was not as good as your favorite corps was. That is a comment on the performance of the kids, and it is classless. Nothing will change, but I will never accept booing in drum corps.

• Like 3

Well, it's not that hard to figure out something like that. Plus, at least on the feed, both Crown and Devils got mad applause when their scores were announced.

Booing is pretty classless, no matter what reason. I know I'd never do it.

I agree. I think the saying "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything" would apply here.

Some thoughts:

Blue Devils: This show never gets boring, there is so much going on all the time. This is the best show of the year, and I think they'll win. The multi-cam helped me appreciate the level of detail in their show, and to see the individual showmanship of each corps member. Amazing!

Crown: Big sound and technically difficult playing, and that's what I love about them. I thought they had a hard time keeping up the energy at the end of their show tonight. This is such a demanding show, it's late in the season, and I bet the kids are more than a bit tired. The multi-cam didn't help them much, because on a couple of camera angles I couldn't tell if adjacent lines were supposed to be slight arcs or straight lines. This show is incredible also for their design, since they Olympics have started and now there is a "national pride" feeling in the audience that I think Crown deliberately is tapping into. Brilliant design work and forward thinking by the Crown staff, if I'm correct. (I could also be over-thinking this, something I am often accused of, to which I plead "guilty." :devil:)

Cadets: My favorite show from first note to last. The multi-cam also exposed some diagonals that didn't quite "hit." IMO Cadets are also making some detailed changes like taking some of the the narration out that frankly makes the show better, and more enjoyable for the audience. Good job, Cadets and Cadets staff!

Phantom: I love the guard, I'm not sure why they're not first. Their use of color in the colorguard is the best of the "cream teams." I think I would have enjoyed Cadets more if they had used their traditional unis this year.

Santa Clara: Earlier in the year I thought the above four shows were of "national championship" caliber. Now I think there are five. I like this show much better than in the early season, and if they would give us another slow 20 counts of "Music of the Night" in the form of a sonic bath, they might just jump into the top three!

Bluecoats: I work with troubled kids, and their show concept about having a public "mask" which hides inner feelings is about as deep as one can get, and is true as one can get. The angry music while wearing the masks gives way to the beauty inside once the masks are taken down, something you could see thanks to the multi-cam. Again, I hope I am not over-thinking this, but if this was Bluecoats intent, it may be one of the most incredible and deeply touching shows ever, a tribute to my current title holder in that category, the 2008 Cadets "Pursuit of Happiness" show.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 8