San Antonio- DCI Southwest

Just got back home from a wonderful night....

My wife and I sat on the 30 yrd line at the very top of the first deck Row 33... Great sights for sight and sound. For time sake I'll just talk about the top 17.

Troopers- Was getting soda missed getting back in time, watched from tunnel. Very disjointed.... What happened post 2009? Seems as though talent is there, but the vehicles given to perform are moving backwards.... Love Troop, hope they can get their show cleaned and move up by the end.

Colts- Is there a corps that's more fun and warm and fuzzy than the Colts- They really are great this year and in many years this show would've been a finalist for sure, but 1-17 is the best I've ever seen. The closing minute brought the crowd to their feet- Well done Colts!

Academy- Was looking for a finalist caliber corps in these guys and was let down... Thought they didn't tune the brass and especially the solists well at all. This show is just way too chopped up!!

Glassmen- Step up in quality, unfortunately the show itself is going to keep them from being a finalist. Some good moments, but there's no emotional connect for me into the program. It kind seems to drag along, even though they play so well!!

Crossmen- Is there a more underrated staff in the business... Especially Jason Buckingham and his Brass staff. Jason has been to many corps and has been successful everywhere he's been. This corps is the real deal!! The bones swagger is back and I think they'll be back in finals as well!! Way to go X-men, my only concern is that the visual prgram is very conservative compared those ahead of them.

Blue Stars- Didn't help them to go on after Spirit and BK. While Crossmen are acheiving and very clean, Bstars have a very challenging program but it seems to be very forced visually. It seems as though they're chunking their theme at us with all of those props and the guard. In fact if the guard was not in the equation I don't think there'd be anything selling the Blue World theme. Very dissjointed.

BK- I absolutely love the additions to this show! The hornline has really stepped up and is selling it now. I feel many are still picking on electronics but their really isn't much there to pick on. The drummline is smoking and is only gonna get better. Guard is great in many moments but very dirty in a lot of places. I'm not concerned as it's a very talented veteran group that will help this corps continue to climb as they clean. The ending of both the opener and closer has some of the best and toughest drill in the activity this summer. Sully has truly written a masterpiece of a visual package. There's still another level of cleaning to go, but do not be surprised if they end up in 10th or higher come finals night.

Spirit- Great hornline, and amazing drum corps period... Just feel the only downfall is that they are August clean and that could hurt them staying ahead of BK in a few weeks. But well deserved score and great show.

Boston- Love the music, would buy the CD in a heartbeat, vis design leaves me underwhelmed. Just seems to plod. I feel they could do more to sell the theme. It's the Titans, but it feels more like the Demi Gods right now. I feel they'll be 8-9 come finals night. Great hornline!!

Cavies- Had to take a break and didn't make it back in time... Sorry Cavies! Seems as though people shocked to see them in 9th, but based off the competition of BAC and Madison- it's legit!!

Madison- A top 5 product, that will stay 7th. I loved them and so did the crowd... Problem is Bluecoats and everyone else above them are just a little better in all areas. Great blend of classic drum corps and Pictures. Loved the closer and the singing was just flat out beautiful!! Madison is back to being that corps that entertains with swagger and I love it!!

Bluecoats- Amazing corps, great thematic show and hornline guard and hornline are phenominal. Problem- They're not memorable after Madison or once SCV or the others play ahead of them. They seem to be stagnating in the design the past few years. Just seem as the show progresses it just doesn't grow, can't put my finger on it, but the whole show is too much the same!

SCV- The Santa Claraliers were great... So strange to see them marching very similar to Cavies... even the show felt very Cavalierish. That said, I loved it. The arrangements were refreshing and made this show go. I see them top 3 by the end. They are phenomial and I feel Phantom and Cadets may peak early.

Phantom- Have to admit I was not a fan of this show when I saw the theater show, but wow did they change my mind in the live show... Goodness what a brass sound!! Great thematic music writing but the visual side is a bummer compare to the musical interpretation. Just feel like they'll end up 5th by finals and peak to early. wouldn't be surprised if they stayed top 3 though either.

Cadets- Was skeptical as ws most about a drum corps Xmas show but Cadets have done a great job of mixing fun and light hearted with serious and beautiful. Thought they should have been 3rd, but top 5 are so close in quality who really knows....

BD- Ok Bird in Bella is maybe the moment of the year for me, but the rest of this show feels like I should be on some hullucinating trip. I think BD is contuning to push the wierd envelope because they have such spectacular talent they know they could sit on a toilet and juggle and it still will win... Seriously we get mad at them, but what do they have to prove- They've won so many times the normal way they are going to play freak out shows and keep winning. Do I like it- NO, I think its a tragic mockery of the marching actvity we love but it fits all the criteria allowed and is done well. It's almost like they're thumbing their nose at Crown and everyone else and saying- Oh you have a masterpiece?? Ok well we're still the Blue Devils so we'll play some French while sitting on a chair twirling a hula hoop, looking into a mirror while play everything from Burt B to Bird and Bella in Bb. What can we do? They're just good!! That said, I think they've gone too far and Crown will beat them in the end!

Crown- A Masterepiece- Everything is in place for the title. I do feel the battery is better than the past 3-4 years but it's still not going to measure up to some of the top drummlines. I'm thinking they're gonna need to be 4th in perc in the end to have a shot. The show itself is just an amazing display of grace and power all the while running and marching at break neck speeds. Just a truly special show that I think wins this year!!

That's all tonight, agreed with placements overall!! this to me is the best 1-17 I've ever seen. Kudos to all the corps- You're amazing and I thank you for marching this wonderful activity!! Safest travels to all and best of luck!!

Wes P

BK '97 98

Edited by wesleyrp
  • Like 4

Guess Crown was top three in perc... that's cool, didn't hear that in them, but I didn't judge!! Cool, great show tonight

Nice Review! You make some excellent observations. I probably enjoy the Blue Devils show more than you do, but I will admit to not liking all the scatter sets they do. Just too much walking around, chaos (which is good for this show I guess), and just not enough visual structure for my taste. But I love watching them perform from a brass, percussion, guard stand point.

I, too, see Carolina Crown winning this year if they can clean that monster. But I also see SCV charging toward top 3, and if Crown does not clean before Finals it will be SCV in 2nd place, perhaps making a push at their neighbors for first.

Phantom Regiment and The Cadets both have awesome shows that are fun to watch, but both also have a few GE issues that will be difficult to solve at this point. Mainly because the construction is not there for them to solve it. They would need to do more major re-writes and I'm not sure they can afford to do that now. Not enough time. They need to clean.

I see Bluecoats and Madison going at it now. Madison pulled a nice score last night and it looks as though they will be nipping at the 'Coats heels. I agree with you that they probably do not have the caption strength across the board to tangle with BLOOO, but if they get close in the performance captions, then GE will be the deciding factor.

Blue Knights BLEW ME AWAY!! Love that show now.

Blue Stars are so much cleaner and that show really plays nicely. Solid performance captions and wonderful guard. My only complaint with BS is the brass arranging at times. The music tends to wander some and not lead or focus our attention.

The Cavaliers are really playing well now. Percussion is great, and their brass are now getting that warm, rich, in-tune Cavalier sound. Love the guard contribution to the show, and the drill is quite good. Love the ballad. The show as a whole just didn't come together the way they wanted (disjointed), but I am impressed with their performance efforts now and how hard the members are working to sell it.

The Crossmen made me a believer once again. This could make top 12. Will be tough. BK and BS are excellent, but Crossmen have super GE that needs some cleaning and a few tweaks.

The Crosmmen and Blue Stars hads both better watch out for the Glassmen. I think the G-men show is starting to rock. They were behind a bit this year and now seem to be picking up steam. The holes in the show are filled, the marching is getting better, and I think they have great brass and drums. This might be the corps that pops into 12ths come Finals.

Some other shoutouts: Jersey Surf!!! Yes, love it! Academy: good show with solid performances. Love the uniforms! Pacific Crest: WOW! So glad you could make it out. Excellent show and GE! Troopers: Very nice work on the show. The cleaning is showing, the brass played better than what I saw and heard at MN. Keep working. I feel the vehicle is not quite what they wanted, but I respect the marching members for their hard work. Mandarins had a nice show, and I LOVED the Oregon Crusaders! Bravo!

• Like 1

Thanks for the review Wes. Like you, I think a LOT of corps have stepped up this year. My congradulations to all corps who have beaten corps which have been ahead of them for MANY years in the standings. This proves that we DO have a horse race ... which is great for us, the fans of this wonderful acitivity.

While I'm at it, I really did like the Troopers show last year. I haven't seen enough of them this year, so I'll have to remember to do that. I'm one of those people who CAN'T WAIT to see all the original Combine corps in finals. My fear is, this year won't be the year that that will happen ... again.

Just got back home from a wonderful night....

My wife and I sat on the 30 yrd line at the very top of the first deck Row 33... Great sights for sight and sound. For time sake I'll just talk about the top 17.

Troopers- Was getting soda missed getting back in time, watched from tunnel. Very disjointed.... What happened post 2009? Seems as though talent is there, but the vehicles given to perform are moving backwards.... Love Troop, hope they can get their show cleaned and move up by the end.

Colts- Is there a corps that's more fun and warm and fuzzy than the Colts- They really are great this year and in many years this show would've been a finalist for sure, but 1-17 is the best I've ever seen. The closing minute brought the crowd to their feet- Well done Colts!

Academy- Was looking for a finalist caliber corps in these guys and was let down... Thought they didn't tune the brass and especially the solists well at all. This show is just way too chopped up!!

Glassmen- Step up in quality, unfortunately the show itself is going to keep them from being a finalist. Some good moments, but there's no emotional connect for me into the program. It kind seems to drag along, even though they play so well!!

Crossmen- Is there a more underrated staff in the business... Especially Jason Buckingham and his Brass staff. Jason has been to many corps and has been successful everywhere he's been. This corps is the real deal!! The bones swagger is back and I think they'll be back in finals as well!! Way to go X-men, my only concern is that the visual prgram is very conservative compared those ahead of them.

Blue Stars- Didn't help them to go on after Spirit and BK. While Crossmen are acheiving and very clean, Bstars have a very challenging program but it seems to be very forced visually. It seems as though they're chunking their theme at us with all of those props and the guard. In fact if the guard was not in the equation I don't think there'd be anything selling the Blue World theme. Very dissjointed.

BK- I absolutely love the additions to this show! The hornline has really stepped up and is selling it now. I feel many are still picking on electronics but their really isn't much there to pick on. The drummline is smoking and is only gonna get better. Guard is great in many moments but very dirty in a lot of places. I'm not concerned as it's a very talented veteran group that will help this corps continue to climb as they clean. The ending of both the opener and closer has some of the best and toughest drill in the activity this summer. Sully has truly written a masterpiece of a visual package. There's still another level of cleaning to go, but do not be surprised if they end up in 10th or higher come finals night.

Spirit- Great hornline, and amazing drum corps period... Just feel the only downfall is that they are August clean and that could hurt them staying ahead of BK in a few weeks. But well deserved score and great show.

Boston- Love the music, would buy the CD in a heartbeat, vis design leaves me underwhelmed. Just seems to plod. I feel they could do more to sell the theme. It's the Titans, but it feels more like the Demi Gods right now. I feel they'll be 8-9 come finals night. Great hornline!!

Cavies- Had to take a break and didn't make it back in time... Sorry Cavies! Seems as though people shocked to see them in 9th, but based off the competition of BAC and Madison- it's legit!!

Madison- A top 5 product, that will stay 7th. I loved them and so did the crowd... Problem is Bluecoats and everyone else above them are just a little better in all areas. Great blend of classic drum corps and Pictures. Loved the closer and the singing was just flat out beautiful!! Madison is back to being that corps that entertains with swagger and I love it!!

Bluecoats- Amazing corps, great thematic show and hornline guard and hornline are phenominal. Problem- They're not memorable after Madison or once SCV or the others play ahead of them. They seem to be stagnating in the design the past few years. Just seem as the show progresses it just doesn't grow, can't put my finger on it, but the whole show is too much the same!

SCV- The Santa Claraliers were great... So strange to see them marching very similar to Cavies... even the show felt very Cavalierish. That said, I loved it. The arrangements were refreshing and made this show go. I see them top 3 by the end. They are phenomial and I feel Phantom and Cadets may peak early.

Phantom- Have to admit I was not a fan of this show when I saw the theater show, but wow did they change my mind in the live show... Goodness what a brass sound!! Great thematic music writing but the visual side is a bummer compare to the musical interpretation. Just feel like they'll end up 5th by finals and peak to early. wouldn't be surprised if they stayed top 3 though either.

Cadets- Was skeptical as ws most about a drum corps Xmas show but Cadets have done a great job of mixing fun and light hearted with serious and beautiful. Thought they should have been 3rd, but top 5 are so close in quality who really knows....

BD- Ok Bird in Bella is maybe the moment of the year for me, but the rest of this show feels like I should be on some hullucinating trip. I think BD is contuning to push the wierd envelope because they have such spectacular talent they know they could sit on a toilet and juggle and it still will win... Seriously we get mad at them, but what do they have to prove- They've won so many times the normal way they are going to play freak out shows and keep winning. Do I like it- NO, I think its a tragic mockery of the marching actvity we love but it fits all the criteria allowed and is done well. It's almost like they're thumbing their nose at Crown and everyone else and saying- Oh you have a masterpiece?? Ok well we're still the Blue Devils so we'll play some French while sitting on a chair twirling a hula hoop, looking into a mirror while play everything from Burt B to Bird and Bella in Bb. What can we do? They're just good!! That said, I think they've gone too far and Crown will beat them in the end!

Crown- A Masterepiece- Everything is in place for the title. I do feel the battery is better than the past 3-4 years but it's still not going to measure up to some of the top drummlines. I'm thinking they're gonna need to be 4th in perc in the end to have a shot. The show itself is just an amazing display of grace and power all the while running and marching at break neck speeds. Just a truly special show that I think wins this year!!

That's all tonight, agreed with placements overall!! this to me is the best 1-17 I've ever seen. Kudos to all the corps- You're amazing and I thank you for marching this wonderful activity!! Safest travels to all and best of luck!!

Wes P

BK '97 98

Good and very succinct review. I agree with most of what you've said here, including the Crown show and it's competitive potential for the title....probably their best shot ever. I also think that SCV is setting themselves up as this decades Cavaliers....no surprise here. BUT, you are clearly seeing BD through a glass and darkly. One wonders if you truly believe they sit around thinking those things. After such a heart felt and intelligent review, it seemed almost juvenile to vent in a such a way. But that's what we do here. Even a great piece of fish has a few bones.

• Like 1

I do believe that BD can do what ever they want and take risks that not many others can take! It's due in large part to the overwhelming talent and magnificent teaching! Whose to say the design team wasn't bored of the same ole same ole kinda approach. In a way I'm giving acsarcastic homesite compliment. They are so good year in and out that they can take mega risks to push boundaries well beyond a normal threshold! I respect that, but does it have to be at the point of ailenating the average fan? I just wish BD could do the wacky with more approachable mentality! I loved constantly risking absurbity but after 3-4 years that show doesn't seem absurd.... I love BD but not recently, just the way it is... But they're really good and deserve their placements!!

Wes P

I do believe that BD can do what ever they want and take risks that not many others can take! It's due in large part to the overwhelming talent and magnificent teaching! Whose to say the design team wasn't bored of the same ole same ole kinda approach. In a way I'm giving acsarcastic homesite compliment. They are so good year in and out that they can take mega risks to push boundaries well beyond a normal threshold! I respect that, but does it have to be at the point of ailenating the average fan? I just wish BD could do the wacky with more approachable mentality! I loved constantly risking absurbity but after 3-4 years that show doesn't seem absurd.... I love BD but not recently, just the way it is... But they're really good and deserve their placements!!

Wes P

No beef with your review, Wes. It is what it is. And there is always lots to say, good and bad (particularly in the last 5 years) about BD's designs, it's just that the "sarcastic" tone in that part of your review was a bit hurtful and unnecessary..... Amusing to some, for sure...but hurtful and unnecessary all the same. I know you to be much fairer and smarter than that.

• Like 1

Fair enough! Just frustrated Im not enjoying them... Was the other corps besides Madison back in the day that made me get into Drum Corps:) thanks for your comments and compliments

Sorry but your otherwise excellent (and consistently thoughtful over the years) review lost credibility when you proclaimed (Cavaliers) you "didn't make it back in time" to actually see them but felt you could infer performance against others. They too have made daily strides to adjust and fine tune; last nite throwing down improving product. AND, like many here ridicule their attempt to innovate and risk-take (not unlike BD, Cadets, et al) while concurrently equilibrate SCV reincarnation as "Santa Claraliers". I respect and appreciate all the competition but have to take exception to biasness if not "kick'em when down" attitudes.

Ummm no... Me thinks you're reading too much into this. I didn't make it to my seat because the lines for the few concessions that hadn't run out of food were long! Only 15 min int meant late to seat. Im not inferring anything... Madison and Boston have both beaten Cavies this season and it was logical that both are still capable. Listen I understand your frustration, but there's no denying the Cavalier influence Jeff Fiedler brought to SCV. it's different, and Cavalier like... As you know I have been a huge Cavies fan over the years, no kicking them from me...