San Antonio- DCI Southwest

Wes, its all good. Thank you, and I appreciate your reply. Yes, perhaps abit sensitive keeping pride and things thus far, but I responded honestly from perspective many of us have been privately holding too.

I think i'll just say thank you for the good review and sharing you thoughts. No homer rage from me :tongue:

Wes, its all good. Thank you, and I appreciate your reply. Yes, perhaps abit sensitive keeping pride and things thus far, but I responded honestly from perspective many of us have been privately holding too.

Trust me I understand!! BK has had some down years in the past and it was very difficult to hear people bag on them. 2001 going from being in the upper echelon to 14th was painful.... You're a loyal devoted fan to your corps and don't apologize for that! When we see things going wrong that's when you find out who are true fans!!! I wish the best for the Cavies, and know they'll make their alum and fans proud the rest of this season! I truly was angry to not see them!! I'd never intentially make them a popcorn corps:)!!

Wes P

I understand Wesleys frustration in that this is the old/new BD. As before if it works why change, after all it is about winning and I'm not talking about winning new fans.

There's a reason you don't hear complaints about their shows from former BD members.

This had all the bells and whistles and didn't fair as well...

goodvacationset.jpg

But I also see SCV charging toward top 3, and if Crown does not clean before Finals it will be SCV in 2nd place, perhaps making a push at their neighbors for first.

WOW!!! Really?! My heart would burst out of my chest to see SCV in the Top 3 again! The Top 5 are all really strong though, so it will depend on cleaning their shows and the (sometimes odd) opinions of the judges in the end.

HERE'S HOPING!!! :thumbup:

Great Review, Wes! You put a lot of thought into what you said about each corps, and my take on many corps was the same! So glad to see BK competing strongly after that rough start. And I think if you merge your comments with Jonathan's (somewhere in the middle) - that's my thinking on BD. I actually really enjoyed their music book, but can't stand the scatter visual program. From that perspective, I do think they are thumbing their nose at what this traditional marching activity represents. The current judging system obviously allows that, so it's their right to do so & I guess it appeals to some fans in addition to the judges - just not to me. At the same time, they are incredibly talented and their teach staff is phenomenal. I do think there is room for them to be bumped down to 2nd or even 3rd if someone else cleans up with a much more exposed visual program.

Harvey

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review. I agree with many of your observations and appreciate all of them.

It's your brief assessment of the first five corps in your review that really caught my attention.

Troopers are letting thier identity slip away again and the creative staff in place either can't figure out how to hang on to it or doesn't feel like hanging on to it is worth the bother.

Colts are a sentimental favorite of mine and have been for 20 years now..... dating back to the season before they came out of nowhere and slipped into finals for the first time.

Glassmen and Academy leave me......... hmnnn...... disinterested this year..... though I liked both of them last year.

Seeing the show in Atlanta, I felt like the Crossmen's primary strength was the quality of Chuck Naffier's brass arrangements and the quality of the instruction the horns are obviously getting. They are playing the fool out of this show. I've not seen it often enough to say for sure but I suspect that Chuck has been tweaking the arrangements to add more beef in places where the hornline has demonstrated the ability to handle it. I'm rooting for the Crossmen and hope that they can continue the momentum into 2013.