OMG Oregon Crusaders!

1. At least moving this topic got a conversation going in the Open Class forum.LOL

2. Oregon Crusaders are classified as an Open Class corps.

3. Did they deserve to be mentioned in the WC forum at this particular show, (Yes)

How many times do people watching shows (whether live or on fan network) arrive at the stadium (or tune-in) to only watch the WC corps and more specifically the top 12-14? This topic started out as a call to the WC fans to not miss the Oergon Crusaders show. It was very good for an Open Class corps and can compare in design and performance to the lower half WC corps. Yes, they have the potential to beat some of them come Indy, but that time will be here soon enough.

So, does pointing out to the WC fan base mean this topic should not have been put there. Obviously, the anwser in the moderators mind is yes. Does it limit the exposure of a well designed and fairly well executed program to the "Drum corps activity"? The Oregon Crusaders are a solid corps that keeps on growing and improving not only in show results, but in design. They have a well designed program and they are going to do well come finals time.

But, the question is this. Does letting the readers of the WC forums know that the Oregon Crusaders are worthy of mentioning them in that forum mean that maybe, the person who started that conversation has the right to let others know about it. Simply moving the thread to Open class because of the status of the corps is not a valid reason to move it. If there was a forum outcry to move it because of the status of Oregon Crusaders, then I would have agreed with this move. In reality, I think it was pre-mature to move the thread before it really got going.

As a fan of drum corps for over 30 years, I think they are worthy of a mention in that forum section. However, it is my opinion. In the context of the WC vs OC forum, I still think it was a good place to start it and see where it landed. But, I am not a moderator and I have no power here anyway. I am trying to be as unbiased as possible as I like their show a lot. Trust me, come finals week. I will look forward to the discussions on here. The world is not black and white folks. Sometimes, just sometimes you can dream in colors. (lol)

Oh, Yes 3 OC corps will make finals this year because there is room for 3. I am not sure if a 4th will make it or not. But it will be close for sure.

Edited by Splooie99
  • Like 2

Personally, I think regionals should be open to all corps to compete on the same sheets. This would give the OC corps a chance to see where they stand on the WC sheets prior to quaterfinals.

• Like 2

Luv4corps: I agree... (about last season's Oregon appearance at the all-in Prelims at Indy). And I agree... (the Oregon quality has been, and is, very high and enjoyable). However, this thread is directed toward their recent performance at San Antonio not last season's all-in Prelims performance at Indy; and the Mods believe that the discussion of, "... had they been scored the same as the WC corps" at San Antonio this year is a conjecture topic for the OC section. So, without any should-a, would-a, could-a justification, explanation, spin, or opinion please answer these four simple yes/no questions:

1) Is Oregon a WC corps?

2) In San Antonio this year, did Oregon compete against any WC corps?

3) Were the comments about the Oregon performance by the OP directed at their 2011 Indy performance in the WC all-in Prelims?

4) Will Oregon compete against any WC corps this year until the Aug 9, 2012 all-in Prelims at the WC Championships?

None of this matters. If you added all of the Open Class posts to the World Class forum it would only increase traffic by like 5%. Ghettoizing all the posts about Open Class corps here only ensures that nobody will see them or read them. It's bad for the activity.

• Like 1

I personally believe that having two a different competing class doesn’t make much sense anymore. It did at one time, but now there is so few corps left. When you look at the bottom ranks of world class, they are not even competitive in their class. It’s really kind of sad. The mighty Oregon Crusaders will have their chance to compete with the big boys, when they get to Indy.

I’m really looking forward to tonight’s Odessa show. Hopefully they won’t have any penalties and show some improvement. I would imagine that the color guard issue caused some performance issues. Let’s hope they come out tonight strong and jump to the top of open class.

It really has been fun watching the Crusaders improve over the last few years. It would be great to see them take home the gold this year.

Ghettoizing all the posts about Open Class corps here only ensures that nobody will see them or read them. It's bad for the activity.

What do you think, Geoff? Maybe its time to make a change at DCP.

I understand the desire to share Open Class news on the World Class forum. I even posted a message there last week inviting people to discuss their favorite Open Class corps over here. And for the first time I can recall, there were a couple of threads dedicated to specific shows. (OK, I started two of them. But one appeared for San Antonio, and that made me smile.)

Anybody who is a fan of drum corps, and specifically Open Class, could post lots of threads about specific corps and shows. I'm glad there is some discussion, ANY discussion, even if it's prompted by an argument about which forum it's in.

FWIW, Geoff did the right thing by moving this to the Open Class forum. The regulars on both forums just need to make sure people know there are things to discuss here. Maybe use the message function to invite people you know to participate over here.

JMO

Garry in Vegas

PS I wish I could see Oregon Crusaders this year. I get the feeling I'm missing something amazing.

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Open Class could use more exposure from everyone. It would be great if DCI as well as DCP would show us more love. We could do ourselves a favor and be more active on our own behalf. Those that are B corps could be advertised more by our A corps. Our shorter, less expensive, less intimidating tour is attractive and a great way to get new people into drum corps. World forum is always talking about a way to get new people into DCI; well promoting your open class might not be a bad way to start. Where are all our youtube videos? Where is all our news on DCI? This could be easy to do.

Am I missing something here? Was I supposed to pay to view both forums separately? When I come to this site I can see the latest topic for both World and Open before entering either forum. People only have to move their mouse a quarter of an inch down and click to see this discussion. This is the internet, not an actual room. I hope people realize that. Open Class "fans" and World Class "audience" aren't in two actual, physical, separate locations being forced to choose one over the other and not allowed to see what is going on in each others' worlds. It's all accessible to everyone. Or am I wrong?

If someone is too lazy, or too "good" to click on this forum to see what's going on in this division of the same activity we all love and talk about openly; then that speaks volumes about those choosing to categorize the corps by participation, or lack thereof in a forum. Having 2 divisions in drum corps is something that DCI has done. This forum offers (I believe for the sake of organization) the same format for conversation based on these divisions. When people choose not to part-take in a conversation simply because it is placed two clicks away instead of one (figurative), then we should stop and consider what the real issue is. Why make a mountain out of an ant hill?

Just my thoughts. Darn it, I was going to come back to this topic to comment about the Crusaders. I admit it, you all sucked me in...I was baited hahahaha! :doh:

Open Class could use more exposure from everyone. It would be great if DCI as well as DCP would show us more love. We could do ourselves a favor and be more active on our own behalf. Those that are B corps could be advertised more by our A corps. Our shorter, less expensive, less intimidating tour is attractive and a great way to get new people into drum corps. World forum is always talking about a way to get new people into DCI; well promoting your open class might not be a bad way to start. Where are all our youtube videos? Where is all our news on DCI? This could be easy to do.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: