Etiquette

The Marines? Really? I think you transcended hamfisting into ignorant bliss. Any ushers at all attending the show could have:

A) quelled the stolen seat situation

B) kept the "audience participation out of it" and most of all

C) would have stopped those unable to make their seats and the entrance of the section. Not that the rightful ticket holders were in the wrong for trying to catch a show, but some authority would have taken the situation from concern. But let us call in the Marines. Also, teaching parents is the least of concerns when trying to reach perfection. If someone would take the misunderstanding of one group of supporters and marchers and make it cause for bias against an entire organization, the activity might really be better off without them.

Did I take your daughters innocence or something 30 years ago? I mean .... why does all the personal garbage have to go on here? I am by no means ignorant .. nor am I "hamfisted" or any other trash you want to throw at me. We don't know each other. I have my opinion on the current state of things .. you have yours. I take pride in the fact that I don't have to tear ppl to shreds in order to argue a point.

THAT IS ALL!

Been at shows where people went right by the ushers when told not to come up. In some of those instances it was either let them go or start a fight. Some times Security is needed more than ushers. In this case sounded more like ushers and/or security needed to kick out the people in seats not their own.

So what to do in that case, hold up the show or disrupt more than one section because of possible loud arguing and fights. Let's also not forget at some shows ushers are volunteers and ####ed if I'd get in someones face without backup.

The concept of Etiquette cannot be regulated with ushers or security. It is one of respect, or lack thereof, of others which is instilled, or neglected, by the mentors in out culture. Is it any wonder that this is becoming more of an issue when people are no longer required by the adult mentors to say please, thank-you, open doors for others, etc ... and relativism is now taught to our youth as it apples to right/wrong.

• Like 1

The concept of Etiquette cannot be regulated with ushers or security. It is one of respect, or lack thereof, of others which is instilled, or neglected, by the mentors in out culture. Is it any wonder that this is becoming more of an issue when people are no longer required by the adult mentors to say please, thank-you, open doors for others, etc ... and relativism is now taught to our youth as it apples to right/wrong.

I still say Red Coated Marines would do the trick. People are 90 times more likely to respect and follow the orders of a person in uniform (proven fact .. I saw it on the internet :P ). Folks in blue teeshirts ... not so much.

• Like 1

Can't argue much with that Stu, ran into that yesterday. Long story but I interupted some younger peoples fun to get 2 handicapped people closer to a house. No words spoken but dirty look given both way. Weird part was the person given the dirty look was a guest at the house and the 2 handicapped people were family members.

I was taking issue more with the opinion that "it's an ushers job" to keep everyone in line. Have volunteered ushering myself and told to go to Hell more than once. And since the usher supervisor refused to back us up and there was no security to deal with troublemakers I learned why kill myself if no one running the show gave a crap. (No idea of the circumstances at this show.)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

this is in NO way meant to criticize a specific Corps..

was at Brass Impact in Olathe KS, on the 16th.. spent the money for VIP seats.. and there were a group of 6 corps-member's grandparents in the row behind us.. these folks were from a generation, that I never would have expected to act this way.. Grandpa #1, took call after call on his cell.. Grandma #1 had a laptop, and throughout the entire evening, she played corps videos for the other grandparents.. Grandma #2, was out of her seat numerous times, only to come down a few rows in front of us, and take picture after picture of the "group"

intermission..

after intermission, while Spirit of Atlanta were taking the field.. Grandma #1, started showing yet ANOTHER video to her buds.. at which time, a very polite woman in my row, leaned back and said, "hon, there's a corps on the field, and we'd all like to hear THEM" to which Grandma #1 replied "I dont care honey, I'm only here for my ####'s" (not gonna name the corps directly" ;)

so here's my folly.. what (if anything) is there to do? does the corps these people are associated with need to know this? My friend and I kept quiet, not knowing what the correct course was..

Honestly, it was so distracting, that it really took away from the one night a year, when we get to hear some corps LIVE..

all in all, we just walked away from the night, saying "how ####### RUDE"

I just don't understand people.

J

• Like 1

I'm just going to reinforce the fact that corps members receive entrance bracelets and are just eager to watch their peers. This feels greatly like another "back in my day" thread. Very overblown. Booing is uncalled for. Getting in to watch shows and accidentally choosing a taken seat is not.

The chatter in the crowds has gotten a bit ridiculous. Two years in a row at Jackson I was lucky enough to sit in front of a family who I believe was at their first drum corps show. They had a kid who was in their first year marching I believe. Last year the family had two kids who couldn't sit still and they would talk and yell and scream at full volume during shows. The talking would get louder by the whole family as the corps got louder. I got the adults to shut up by asking them to stop talking during shows. BUT THEY WOULD NOT DISCIPLINE THEIR KIDS.

Yo, if I acted like that when I was that age I would have been smacked and dragged out of the stands. And no one would even question it?? Like really?? And I'm only 23. It wasn't that long ago. But now that everything is supposedly child abuse... but I digress.

Really the only solution is self-policing by us fans who aren't dumbasses. Announcements of proper etiquette would help also. But usually no one is paying attention to that. But the biggest thing is you have to try to be polite about it, because people have short fuses... and no one can take criticism. And take care of the policing in between shows.

And about the preshows and stuff.. I'm pretty sure the only preshow that was worth watching was Phantom 08. There was some real discipline going on at that field.

Basically I have no hope for society.

And yes etiquette is a problem at DCI shows, Marching Band shows, Club sports, school sports, college sports, professional sports. Hell even at Philly orchestra concerts....

• Like 1

I just loved in 09, me and my buddies found decent seats in the 500 level at finals. Watched the whole show up until Crown when the people who "bought" the seats finally decided to come in and watch the show. I bet they didn't even know who my corps was since we were came in 16th... It's okay though I found a spot to stand right on the 50 and watch the last two shows. And that was a perfect spot to listen to Crown's amazing horn line that year... little bit of overhang, and really just the right amount of echo echo echo

I also know that in Atlanta that same year, many of the ushers were VERY strict about where wristbands were allowed to sit.

this is in NO way meant to criticize a specific Corps..

was at Brass Impact in Olathe KS, on the 16th.. spent the money for VIP seats.. and there were a group of 6 corps-member's grandparents in the row behind us.. these folks were from a generation, that I never would have expected to act this way.. Grandpa #1, took call after call on his cell.. Grandma #1 had a laptop, and throughout the entire evening, she played corps videos for the other grandparents.. Grandma #2, was out of her seat numerous times, only to come down a few rows in front of us, and take picture after picture of the "group"

intermission..

after intermission, while Spirit of Atlanta were taking the field.. Grandma #1, started showing yet ANOTHER video to her buds.. at which time, a very polite woman in my row, leaned back and said, "hon, there's a corps on the field, and we'd all like to hear THEM" to which Grandma #1 replied "I dont care honey, I'm only here for my ####'s" (not gonna name the corps directly" ;)

so here's my folly.. what (if anything) is there to do? does the corps these people are associated with need to know this? My friend and I kept quiet, not knowing what the correct course was..

Honestly, it was so distracting, that it really took away from the one night a year, when we get to hear some corps LIVE..

all in all, we just walked away from the night, saying "how ####### RUDE"

I just don't understand people.

J

This type of attitude (I am here to "just" see my kid/grandkid) has gone on at local, regional, state high school band shows for years, and years, and years. The difference is that in most cases these people would read a book, read a newspaper, listen to a baseball game on the radio *with earphones*, take a nap, or engage in a behavior which was at least respectful to others around them. Over the past few years, however, many people are seeming to disregard that "etiquette" and choosing to engage in the very types of behavior you just described.

I encourage fellow corps members to watch other shows, it can always be a learning experience. However, when 300 corps kids with wrist bands on converge on the 50 at the top, end up sitting on the stairs half way, and sitting in seats that "probably" were not purchased by them is uncalled for. Also, this was the case for adults. As well, if there were any kind of emergency, many laws would have been broken.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but just because you have a wrist band does not permit you to sit on the steps? sit in seats where shelled out money, etc.

As for the booing, I have never approved and will never approve of that. People are entitled to their opinion. However, every single performer busts their butts off through steaming hot summers to perfect shows. Everyone should be shown respect.

• Like 1