Troopers Drum Major Slow Walk

I remember the sloe race between BD's and SCV's DMs when I marched.

And in 2003, SoCal Dream was up in NorCal for a show that -- amazingly -- had a full corps retreat. As DM, I knew what to do....but was reminded, as I left the block, by SoCal Dream contra Wayne Ball "I EXPECT you to be last!"

I was, of course....and the funny thing was, the closer to the line I got, the louder the crowd got....not shouting an annoyed "hurry up," but cheering the ssssllloooowwww race between myself and the Renegades' DMs!!

Quite the hype to be on the receiving end of that!

Edited by 84BDsop

been stupid AND around year after year, at some point it became "a tradition"

annoying and rude - which the OP observed

not cool

In my opinion of course,

G.

What is "rude" in my opinion is having all the DM's present at retreat, Corps in back, people sitting in the stands, people at home sitting by the computers, encores over, speeches made by announcer, and then ( as in Houston TOC show Fri Nite ) we wait for the scores... then wait.... then wait... deadair in the stadium... silence.... then we wait.... and wait some more... finally somebidy decided at the stadium to pipe in some elevator music or whatever to help kill the deadtime... we wait some more... then FINALLY, the anoouncer has the scores to deliver. Hell, for all this time it took, the Troopers DM could have left and gone to the Corps bus, sat in the bus, smoked a marlboro, then walk slowly back in line in his traditional slow walk and have been ready for the long delayed scores. I don't care how the Troopers DM gets into position for retreat scores. But could somebody make the judges run to the tabulators and the tabulators run to the announcers more if THATS what its going to take ? It seemed in Houston like everybody connected to the score tabulation and getting it to the announcer had their feet stuck in recently poured cement. Making everybody wait like this unneccesarily was " rude " to me. DCI had plenty of time to have the scores ready. There was a full enmasse encore played. The last Corps performed over a half hour before retreat ended. Making everybody wait like this unneccessarily was " rude " beyond belief, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Slow-walk debate must mean a slow Sunday night. Is it football season yet?

When I was a drum major back in the early 2000s, the Troopers were invariably classy, nice folks. DM included. Walk wasn't to my personal aesthetic taste, but live and let live. Like the guy above said, we invariably ended up getting to the sideline and waiting for the scores for a half hour anyway, so it's not like we needed to do a wind sprint across the field. I was generally more worried about someone stealing my plate of food than my stride size/pace.

Chris

Edited by crest99
  • Like 1

I've always thought that the "slow walk" thing was really silly. When I was DM, I walked normally and usually got to the line first, because... who really cares? Let's get this over with and get some food.

This thread needs appropriate music to provide texture.

How 'bout Dire Straits " Do the walk of Life " ? or...

Bangles " Walk like an Egyptian "... .. or...

Aerosmith's " Walk this Way ".... or...

Glee Cast " Halo/ Walking on Sunshine ".... or

Fats Domino " I'm Walkin' ".... or...

Foo Fighters " Walk ".... or

The Police/ kanye West " Walking on the Moon ".... or

Marc Cohen " Walkin' in Memphis ".... or...

Fats Domino " Walking to New Orleans "...or

Nancy Sinatra " These ( Troopers ) Boots were made for Walkin' ( and thats just what they're gonna do. One of these days these boots are gonna.............. I CAN'T HEAR YOU ! ).... gonna do what ?

You DCP folks are naughty. ( haha! )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Hmmm. I'm thinking back over the literally thousands of hours of my life and how many of them have been spent waiting for the Troopers DM "slow walk" to be completed at a show. It's probably less than one hour out of those thousands, so I'm cool with it smile.gif

keep traditions! We keep complaining that things are always changing. I say encourage the old traditions.

IMHO

I still love the tradition on the slow march by the Troopers DM.

Was it the VK DMs that used to bring lawn chairs and relax while waiting for the other DMs during full retreat?

• Like 1