Troopers Drum Major Slow Walk

the DMs behind not knowing quite what to do was funny.

I'm sure they were whispering to each other.....

Wait, slow down....... Quick, speed up....... ####, SLOW DOWN!!!!!

Would have felt sorry for them if it wasn't so funny,

I think the fraternity (co-ed) of drum majors probably know more about each other and their traditions than the rest of us could ever imagine. If it's not a problem with the DM's, I say let him have the tradition. And as others have pointed out, since retreat is no longer happening, the awards ceremonies have gotten plenty short. Heck, I'd like to see MORE DM's take their time. (and wouldn't it be funny if someone slowed down the Trooper DM even more, just once? :tongue: )

At San Antonio, the Pacific Crest DM needed to get into the correct location (they were supposed to line up in show order), so that's why that DM was skipping ahead (if anyone was wondering).

Speaking fom experience, the "slow-walk" race was an opportunity for comic relief. Didn't really matter which corps it was, making fun of the situation, without being disrespectful, was what it was all about for me.

On the west coast, SCV would be the ones to "slow-walk" the best. We would march right up to them, slow down....to a crawl. He would go slower. We'd come to a halt, then march backwards. Then RUN to the front, sit in the lawn chair then point as if to say "Hey, can you speed this up".

The funny thing is this would change night after night. It was all in good fun.

Personally speaking, I think this year's DM has a heckuva lot of discipline to keep that slow walk going; I've seen a number of shows this season, and he's got it down pat (although I know it does irritate some).

That said, I wonder if it has something to do with the theme of this year's show -- This Was The Future -- maybe he's trying to stop time! When I see it in that context, a big ole' smile comes to my face. Go Troop!

• Like 1

It would be really nice if more people would honor more important tradiitions.

As you're standing for our National Anthem, gaze around inside/outside of the field and observe how many people are doing their own thing, especially around souvie trailers. You'll see the same thing at athletic events at any level. If you can hear our National Anthem being played, stand, and either face an American flag or where the music is coming from.

As far as the Troopeers DM goes, let the senior judge have him enter last or give him a ten minute head start. As a member of Bugles Across America and Patriot Guard Riders, I appreciate the DM respecting our colors by not leaving the field. Too bad the strong feelings most of us felt after 9/11 have diminished in many folks.

I was The Academy "suvi" guy for 8 years. Not once did I sell items or talk to people during the National Anthem, after the second year I started bringing an American flag in the suvi trailer, one time in San Diego, I had the ONLY American Flag available that day.. the announcer even told the people attenting where to look for the flag....it was attached to the top of my merchadise rack....proudly flying the colors

It would be really nice if more people would honor more important tradiitions.

As you're standing for our National Anthem, gaze around inside/outside of the field and observe how many people are doing their own thing, especially around souvie trailers. You'll see the same thing at athletic events at any level. If you can hear our National Anthem being played, stand, and either face an American flag or where the music is coming from.

As far as the Troopeers DM goes, let the senior judge have him enter last or give him a ten minute head start. As a member of Bugles Across America and Patriot Guard Riders, I appreciate the DM respecting our colors by not leaving the field. Too bad the strong feelings most of us felt after 9/11 have diminished in many folks.

I think the fraternity (co-ed) of drum majors probably know more about each other and their traditions than the rest of us could ever imagine. If it's not a problem with the DM's, I say let him have the tradition. And as others have pointed out, since retreat is no longer happening, the awards ceremonies have gotten plenty short. Heck, I'd like to see MORE DM's take their time. (and wouldn't it be funny if someone slowed down the Trooper DM even more, just once? :tongue: )

At San Antonio, the Pacific Crest DM needed to get into the correct location (they were supposed to line up in show order), so that's why that DM was skipping ahead (if anyone was wondering).

Oh man....talking about retreats....at SoCal Dream's VERY FIRST show in 2002, there was a full corps retreat...and the only people who knew how to DO one were the people in SCD!

So we're all coming around the field Olympic-style, and ALL of the Dream guys are talking to other corps members on either side, explaining what to do and how to do it.

Even the event organizers got it wrong...as the had the corps leave the field after it was done in ORDER of finish....meaning PC left first and Dream left last.

We realized that WE were the encore (unofficially, since there WAS no real one) and people were still in the stands....so we ripped out one chart "Walk Him up the Stairs" (Thank you, Jim Ott!) and left. The crowd liked it, an Impulse heard us across campus.....thinking we were PC!

Garry should remember that one! The only time Dream was last off the field!

As for DMs at retreat...since we were usually the first corps one and it was DM-only at retreat, that meant I had to lead the line for most of the 03-04 shows...I was more worried about where I'd stop so the group was more or less centered than anything else.

Speaking fom experience, the "slow-walk" race was an opportunity for comic relief. Didn't really matter which corps it was, making fun of the situation, without being disrespectful, was what it was all about for me.

On the west coast, SCV would be the ones to "slow-walk" the best. We would march right up to them, slow down....to a crawl. He would go slower. We'd come to a halt, then march backwards. Then RUN to the front, sit in the lawn chair then point as if to say "Hey, can you speed this up".

The funny thing is this would change night after night. It was all in good fun.

VK DM's could have moon walked to retreat position for the scores and it would've been ok by me. This discussion on how a DM gets into position at retreat for the scores is funny, imo. Some people actually get annoyed with how a DM goes to the scores or once in position, how he stands ( or in VK's case ) sits..... unreal,imo.

I'd like to have seen the judges " walk back the scores " in some of the competitions shows I 've been to over the years. That was way more annoying at the time to me than how a DM got themselves into position to announce the scores. I don't get worked up with scores anymore like I used to, and I 'm sure not going to get worked up on how a DM gets into position for the scores. He or she can do a Mummers Band walk into position for all I care.

Edited by BRASSO

I was the Drum Major for the Bluecoats from 1988-1991. We always had a good time trying to be the last to the sideline! It was part of the show. In fact, we would approach the line and pause with one foot in the air until the final DM arrived to guarantee we were last to set. It was no different than when all of the corps lined up single file for retreat to set up on the field, the contra lines always spread themselves out to make sure their corps looked the longest!

Showmanship folks!! It was about entertaining the fans and they enjoyed it!

I like the slow walk

Sometimes I wonder why all these newbie bandos even care about drum crops because so often they’re trying to trash it, bland it out and spit on everything that makes it unique

• Like 3