Troopers Drum Major Slow Walk

Don't worry folks. I've sent an urgent message to the Troopers' Corps director informing him to address this annoying problem with the DM. It should be fixed by Atlanta. Thank you for your patience.

• Like 1

The Troopers DM "Death Walk" is my favorite part of the retreat! And this year's DM does it better than most I have seen.

a few years ago DCI staff told the Trooper staff to tell the DM to speed it up going on for retreat. The response given was that it was up to the DM to decide he wanted to do. In other words - no one on the staff was going to agree to a break in tradition and the DM kept with the tradition. And really, with a sidearm and a saber - who is going to mess with the Troopers DM?

• Like 1

love the slow walk.

MOAR SLOW WALK!

Don't worry folks. I've sent an urgent message to the Troopers' Corps director informing him to address this annoying problem with the DM. It should be fixed by Atlanta. Thank you for your patience.

There wasn't anything to fix...... :thumbup:

Edited by Ch1k3n

When I was DM (in 1988) I never wanted to be last(with one exception, the Knights' home show, when I tricked the VK DMs into thinking they were last, then snuck in behind them. The crowd went wild.), and Joe Bruno twice told the crowd "You can applaud the first guy in, it's all right." I do remember having to sign a paper agreeing to cut out the monkeyshines at retreat. If I were contest director, I'd leave the slow walk as is, but politely ask him to bring up the rear or not be surprised at any negative consequences.

I don't understand what everyone's problem is??? I say, in my opinion, that the slow walk isn't slow enough.

• Like 1

The Troopers DM slow and stern walk is really getting under the skin of some of the newer fans it appears. For close to 50 years, as far as I know nobody seemed to get angry and annoyed by this tradition. BUT.... times do change, and with this I suggest that the Troopers DM adopt a more fitting entrance for todays Drum Corps times to the post show field for the announcemrent of scores. Henceforth, it is my recommendation that he run pell mell as fast as he can out onto the field with his right hand planted firmly all the way on his cowboy hat to reach where the other DM's are. Once there in position with the other DM's, he should do a full 180 degree piroutte, then take his cowboy hat off, blow a kiss to the crowd, wave sprightly, and with a big smile. For contrast, he should position himself beside either the Jersey Surf DM's or the Velvet Knight DM's sitting in their beach chairs with beach umbrellas. This way they'll be much less angst and annoyance on the part of the newer fans with the traditional slow walk by the Troopers DM and the Troopers DM will fit in nicely with all the other DM's and the manner upon which they take the field for scores and the manner in which tjey position themselves along the sidelines for the scores. Running in Drum Corps is the rage these days. Slow march is not cool. So a run by the Troopers DM with aplomb into position would be a needed change that would fit in nicely with these modern times now, imo.

Ahem...but the Troopers DO NOT wear cowboy hats!

VK used to make the most of the slow race by hurrying to the sideline, setting up lawn chairs and a cooler, and chilling out.

• Like 1