Shiny Horns

Latrobe's Finest

I found silver wipes at a store in Rochester that worked great on our horns - really fast, too. Contra players bought out the full supply!

Always wear gloves, AND change them often. The stuff the repair guys in my company use is Hagerty's, which sprays on and has great results with a lot less effort than a lot of creams out there.

Hagerty's also has some fantastic wipes that work well too. I used them on my euph when I marched DCA. Way less effort than cream or spray for great results.

The product you want is Twinkle Silver Polish. It can be found on Amazon. It works better than any other product and doesn't put excessive wear on the silver plate.

YES.....out here in SoCal it's in the grocery stores. I've used it for several years when I'd had a silver horn. :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

On tour we use Dawn Dish Soap (blue stuff) when in the shower with them. Wash/scrub everything except the actual valves (take them out before showering) then dry it off with a clean towel. Works better than silver polish in most cases, unless there's bad tarnish (black stuff building up from sweat/whatever else)

How to clean a silver horn in the absolute LEAST amount of time.

This works great for me, but if your horn is filthy, it might take more work.

You need:

- Goddard's Silver Dip (put it in a squirt bottle)

- A mix of Dawn dishwashing liquid and water in a separate squirt bottle

In your shower, or outside with a hose (I wouldn't do it over grass), clean the outside of the horn by spraying liberally with the mix of Dawn and water and rinsing it off.

Spray the silver dip all over the horn. Use a lot and cover the instrument. Rinse it all off. Spray one more time with the Dawn/water mix and rinse.

I've found that Hagerty's Spray works the best. They have a cream too that works alright, but the spray you get a really even coating and it wipes off really easily. Their wipes are also great... but I didn't find out about them until mid way through my last season.

And the gloves thing... nothing worked for me. Any type of gloves I would wear would be soaked 20 minutes into the block. I was corps sweatiest guy. And ST in Texas didn't help anything. OH man did my horn look like #### halfway through the summer. I had to use it year two also... they wouldn't let me mess up another horn. It played better than any of the other euphs anyway... and I had the valves and slides working really nice for me(when you play an Aaron Guidry book you need to use that first valve slide quite a bit........) It just looked like crap.. the bell areas inside and out still looked good though. But the valves, and lead pipe had no silver left after year two.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found that Hagerty's Spray works the best. They have a cream too that works alright, but the spray you get a really even coating and it wipes off really easily. Their wipes are also great... but I didn't find out about them until mid way through my last season.

And the gloves thing... nothing worked for me. Any type of gloves I would wear would be soaked 20 minutes into the block. I was corps sweatiest guy. And ST in Texas didn't help anything. OH man did my horn look like #### halfway through the summer. I had to use it year two also... they wouldn't let me mess up another horn. It played better than any of the other euphs anyway... and I had the valves and slides working really nice for me(when you play an Aaron Guidry book you need to use that first valve slide quite a bit........) It just looked like crap.. the bell areas inside and out still looked good though. But the valves, and lead pipe had no silver left after year two.

Zildjian gloves for drummers last about a year for me. They are leather on the palm side, including the fingers, and a stretchy cloth with ventilation on the back so your hands don't get hot.

The first pair I got the leather eventually broke down due to drying out - it gets soaked from sweat during practice then baked by heat in your case. If you oil the leather though, and let oil soak in, they'll last much longer - the leather doesn't dry out and so it doesn't start to crack and tear.

Pricey though, cost about $30, but every other glove I've tried my fingers poke through within a month and are in direct contact with the silver on my horn.

• 3 weeks later...

For insight, here's a recipe using Wright's that always gave me maximum amounts of shine.

Ingredients:

Instrument

Wright's Silver Cream

Two (2) junky T-shirts

Instructions:

Apply silver cream to horn using T-shirt #1.

Wipe cream residue off horn using T-shirt #2. (This is important!)

Admire the mirror-like results.