Why exactly are Cavaliers scoring so low?

I'm not bashing. I'm a huge Cavaliers fan but have yet to see them this year and what exactly is going on? Are they just dirty?

You can get an idea by reading Kevin Gamin's insightful blog within the San Antonio thread, and then take a peek at my blog on DCI.org.

The kids are hustling out there. They are doing everything they can to sell the show. No matter what happens down the road, they should be commended.

(Read into that what you may.)

• Like 1

I'm not bashing. I'm a huge Cavaliers fan but have yet to see them this year and what exactly is going on? Are they just dirty?

See the following threads for your answer...and then you decide.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/152269-cavaliers-in-danger-of-missing-finals/

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/151963-how-weak-is-the-cavies-show/

The level of design is a bit down this year. They've gone thru several rewrites to RIGHT the SHIP. It's working, but they're running out of time. Never know though. Also, the concept of the show is extremely hard to get across. It's not as clear cut as 4 corners, Niagara Falls, 007, Machine etc etc etc.

I can't speak to the level of the members proficiency or ages or anything like that. To a certain extent, the corps feels younger to me. Not as seasoned but I could be VERY wrong. If there is a high level of new membership, it could be because they lost some of their men to other corps (following the staff members that left the organization recently for new ventures).

This feels like a rebuilding process for the design staff. It will come together in short order or I'm sure the organization will make the changes necessary to bring the Cavies back up where they expect themselves to be.

• Like 1

Younger corps, some new staff, not quite there design wise.

To put it simply... its a "transition" year.

• Like 1

This feels like a rebuilding process for the design staff. It will come together in short order or I'm sure the organization will make the changes necessary to bring the Cavies back up where they expect themselves to be.
Beg and plead for Jeff Fielder to come back. It's been mostly downhill since he left......
  • Like 1

I saw it in Broken Arrow and was expecting a hot mess. That never materialized. I thought the show was fine, personally. I think you'd have to have a bit of drum corps knowledge to get it though. I took all the snippets from past shows to mean that each championship was tha year's member's claim to fame...but that's just my impression without reading into it too much.

Beg and plead for Jeff Fielder to come back. It's been mostly downhill since he left......

I don't think it all rests with Jeff. Not by any means. I never heard any complaints of the way he exited ... it didn't seem abrupt. It felt like he groomed his replacement a bit and did what he was supposed to do responsibly .. and I'm sure he felt he left the organization in good hands. I'm not in this loop .. so if I'm totally wrong, so be it.

What Jeff was successful in doing was putting together a staff that worked together like a well oiled machine .. and churned out championship caliber material year after year. The new director has the same task. The new staff has the same task. They'll find a way or I'm sure changes will be made. At least they're giving the new staff a chance to prove themselves. Whether the staff stays as it is for next year remains to be seen.

I think Mr. Fiedler is continuing to do these things at SCV and well. Why staff left for other ventures is beyond me.

Edited by supersop

Seeing the show in Houston compared to the rest of 2011's top 8... I had the show around the placing it ended up. Not that it's bad, it's just not yet on par with some of the higher scoring shows (by way of difficulty, content, cleanliness, and sound). I've seen some videos on YouTube and you can DEFINITELY tell a difference in just a few weeks time.. so here's to hoping that the mostly new staff can tweak some more towards the end to get us up closer to the SCV/PR level.

The theme is kind of vague at some points and doesn't always come across easily... but then again some of our other shows have been the same way. I think the biggest difference this year is there aren't many 'wow/cool' moments like the sit/spin section of 2003, fight club of 2002, drum circle/cuba from 2004, etc.

The guys are busting their tails (as usual).. just a matter of more tweaking/cleaning/selling GE at this point.

Regarding Jeff - he has stated time and again that he may not be the best, but he knows how to surround himself with the best and get the job done.