Corps Apparel/Accessory Traditions

I've always been the person to pay attention to the little things in everything I do and enjoy. For example, in sports, I tend to notice the uniforms and the different variations of the accessories and equipment the players wear. Over the years in Drum Corps, I've noticed a few things that stood out, but that I've still never heard an actual explanation or story as to why _____ corps wears ______ item.

Examples:

Spirit: Members wear Delta's. (Sounds dumb, but I've never got the real reason why).

Bluecoats: What's the necklace they wear?

Cavaliers: Don't they also wear a necklace?

Bluecoats Drumline (recently): only wear one sleeve on their undershirt.

I know there are plenty others, and it'd be nice to see all the others listed here. Discuss.

Madison wears nails presented by alums on necklaces,

SCV has their "tradition" necklaces, but that's more of an implied tradition than an actual one.

SCV also does green feathers for the age-outs at Finals, and they keep their feather, aussie, and star after aging out. All members keep their star after each year

Crown gets a Crown on a necklace for their first year, plus a colored bead to represent each show.

PC age-outs get a "Field Heart" out of a spray paint can.

Cavies wear a Gear necklace when they pass the necessary tests and finish their first year.

Bluecoats wear a penny with a hole drilled in it as a necklace. Foreign members use their country's equivalent of a penny

Spirit members wear a delta for each year in the corps, since it's their corps logo, and I believe there was some kind of sponsorship by Delta Airlines at some point

Phantom Regiment members get dog-tags with their name, section, and years marched on them

Hope that helps

Can't really think of any others

Edited by fsubone
  • Like 1

Madison wears nails presented by alums on necklaces,

SCV has their "tradition" necklaces, but that's more of an implied tradition than an actual one.

SCV also does green feathers for the age-outs at Finals, and they keep their feather, aussie, and star after aging out. All members keep their star after each year

b]Crown gets a Crown on a necklace for their first year, plus a colored bead to represent each show.

[/b]

PC age-outs get a "Field Heart" out of a spray paint can.

Cavies wear a Gear necklace when they pass the necessary tests and finish their first year.

Bluecoats wear a penny with a hole drilled in it as a necklace. Foreign members use their country's equivalent of a penny

Spirit members wear a delta for each year in the corps, since it's their corps logo, and I believe there was some kind of sponsorship by Delta Airlines at some point

Phantom Regiment members get dog-tags with their name, section, and years marched on them

Hope that helps

Can't really think of any others

Unless things have changed you get the Crown when you age out. I only got the colored bead.

• Like 1

Crown gets a Crown on a necklace for their first year, plus a colored bead to represent each show.

I may be wrong, but I believe the crown pendants are given at the age-out ceremony.

EDIT: Dang, got beat to it. lol

Edited by SCTuba

Not sure on details, but Crossmen get cross necklaces, Music City gets stars, Glassmen get shields, Colts get triangles.

i believe that was a pit thing

Ah. Entirely possible, since I only know pit people from gmen.

Unless things have changed you get the Crown when you age out. I only got the colored bead.

Thank you for the clarification. The only person I've ever known personally who marched there was a rook-out, so he had the Crown and one bead. I assumed they came together