So Sad

Wow, I missed all the fun. Another one post and I'm gone thread. Seriously these trolls must have a ton of fun posting and then letting the vultures take over.

So sad...

I thought it was going to be another "where did all the corps go?" thread before I clicked though.

131b6bc1fda5599c45c6ab023396a7403788a1fcd029d735e8f5a28bce43dd9d6g.jpg

This is SO cool !

Thanks for posting this, Liahona

It's art, it's supposed to be controversial. If it wasn't, then art would lack its luster. There would be no Mona Lisa, there would be no Beethoven's 9th. Even though it doesn't seem like it, this is what makes art so powerful. It's all about interpretation.

So if something is immediately and more or less universally recognized as a masterpiece, i.e., is not controversial, it's not art?

I agree that corps are not the same I wish more corps would go back to their roots. Ie I wish bd could still play a show with Pegasus or One more time Chick Correa and still have the innovative drill

I like a lot of the old favorites, but I kind of equate it to music on the radio. We like a song and then the radio station plays until everyone is sick and tired of it. If groups continually recycled their favorites, I would argue that they would stop being favorites after awhile.

So if something is immediately and more or less universally recognized as a masterpiece, i.e., is not controversial, it's not art?

That's not what I said at all.

This is SO cool !

Thanks for posting this, Liahona

BRASSO, fyi, BAC is doing a full corps performance at the Red Sox game at Fenway this coming Friday, Aug 3rd....not sure, but thgis might be thge first time the whole drum corps performed there since the World Series in '86.

This makes me miss the Astrodome. It hasn't been torn down, but I think they have plans to tare it down. :unhappy:

I miss the Astrodome too. It still stands but it is such neglect that it is actually too unsafe to hold events of any kind. The worse past is that it is still not even paid off.. It became a victim of professional sports teams owner/ extortionist. They want the pretty new stadium with all the nicest sky-boxes and if they don't get it they threaten to move the team. And of course want all of this paid for by taxpayers.

Can you tell I am still P.Off at Bud Adams? LoL and good riddance.

Edited by musclebud

But the negativity surrounding Star finally got to them and they left the activity, sadly.

For the record however, Star did not leave DCI " because of the negativity surrounding them". From Corps Director's Bill Cook's own written memoires, he has stated that PRIOR to the 93 season that the Star of Indiana had already decided to leave DCI and that '93 would be their last year in DCI no matter what their placement or reaction would be to their final year's show. Star did not throw in the DCI towel and succumb to "the negativity surrounding them " at all. It was a planned and conscious exit strategy and they were very enthused and very excited about the new plans they had for their organization that would take place outside of DCI. They had been lining up alliances ( Univ. Indiana, marketing Co's, theatre contacts, etc ) long before 1993.

Edited by BRASSO

Then there is the story of Fenway Park.For years and years, folks clammored to have the " old " replaced with the new. " Tear it down, replace with artificial turf, time to change", etc was the frequent mantra heard everywhere, including some quarters in Boston. Other cities and teams built spanking new and big stadiums. They were fresh, new, had all the latest amenities. Boston resisted. Partly out of space restrictions and political unwillingness in some quarters, but mostly because a lot of folks in Boston did not want to give up on the place. As the years went by, the 70's, 80's, 90's, into the 2000 era, new stadiums were built everywhere. Then people began to look around after they were built. They began to witness something many had not anticipated. The newer stadiums were real nice and all, but it was the old Fenway Park ( and at the time Chicago's Comiskey Park ) that was unique, different, and began to have an allure and a likeable quality missing in some of the newer antiseptic larger stadiums with no history at all, as the other stadiums has been bulldozed and reduced to rubble and a new, modern monolith created somewhere else for the team. But Fenway Park was different. The place looks almost identical to that of 1946. Nothing changed there. As time went on, the younger and newer baseball fans could join not only their Mothers and Fathers, but their Grandfathers and Grandmothers and go to a baseball game there and the place would be exactly as Grandpa and Grandma remembered it, right down to the sitelines, scoreboard, bleachers, the "Pesky pole "the bullpen, the " Green Monster ", and the grandstand girders where you had to look around to see the action if you had a vision impaired 50% off seat. Generations could share in the same experiences of going to the games there . The newer fans, those under 30, are the MOST apprreciative that the city elders never gave in to the request to demolish Fenway Park. Boston values history and tradition while trying not to be captive to it. This became its emost endearing quality of Fenway Park. That it did not go quietly into the night. That it would fight the scrapping of a place that had over 100 years of played experience in the old " dump ". The fact that Boston did not follow the others lead for new stadiums has found itself today a treasure that not only Bostonians value, it has become a tourist attraction where people now from all over the world can walk into the same Fenway Park that Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Honus Wagner, Stan Musial, Cy Young, Steve Carleton, Hank Aaron,Bob Gibson, Bob Feller, Roberto Clemente, Reggie Jackson, Nolan Ryan, Mickey Mantle, Don Sutton, Tom Seaver, Willie Mays, Ty Cobb, Joe Dimaggio,etc once played in. Fans can walk onto the field and touch and feel the grass and the very ground that the current grass springs from that was present in days that were simpler and in which dreams were made. Those who go to Fenway Park look beyond its obvious imperfections structurally, and are able to witness history come alive and as if time never changed. THAT is the beauty of it all. And why it has become a treasured landmark by all baseball fans, not just Boston Red Sox fans. Some things are worth changing. And then there are things that the wisest move was not to have changed anything at all.

:worthy:

Great post!

And not just because you mentioned "Grandpa"......

It's art, it's supposed to be controversial. If it wasn't then art would lack its luster. There would be no Mona Lisa, there would be no Beethoven's 9th. Even though it doesn't seem like it, this is what makes art so powerful. It's all about interpretation.

What are you talking about? Art is not supposed to be controversial! Beethoven was being controversial with his music? What the heck is controversial about the Mona Lisa? I don't think "controversial" was the word you were looking for...