Shows that changed drum corps?

While reading some of the conversations regarding changes in drum corps, I have seen people reference certain shows that fomented change in the style of drum corps. Shows such as the Cadets in 1983, Star in 1993, and Blue Devils in 2010 (and this year). Since I am a relatively new fan and I know there are people here who are a lot more knowledgeable about drum corps history than I am, I was wondering if there were any other shows that people could cite that caused drum corps to change in some notable way, even if it was only a slight change.

The three you mentioned are all good examples, here are some more

SCV 1980 (asymmetrical drill)

SCV 1984 (very quiet and musical drum solo)

Cavaliers 1999 (really set the tone for the next decade from them)

There are many others I'm sure others can help with, these are the few that came to mind

• Like 1

86 star set a new standard on what it is to sustain a chord IMO.

• Like 3

The three you mentioned are all good examples, here are some more

SCV 1980 (asymmetrical drill)

SCV 1984 (very quiet and musical drum solo)

Cavaliers 1999 (really set the tone for the next decade from them)

There are many others I'm sure others can help with, these are the few that came to mind

1999 Cavaliers was one of the first drum corps shows I ever saw, and is one of the reasons I became a fan of drum corps. The Cavies are still my favorite corps.

While reading some of the conversations regarding changes in drum corps, I have seen people reference certain shows that fomented change in the style of drum corps. Shows such as the Cadets in 1983, Star in 1993, and Blue Devils in 2010 (and this year). Since I am a relatively new fan and I know there are people here who are a lot more knowledgeable about drum corps history than I am, I was wondering if there were any other shows that people could cite that caused drum corps to change in some notable way, even if it was only a slight change.

Cadets 1983 really built upon the year before. If you have a Fan Network subscription, watch 1981 and then 1982 Cadets to see the great leap forward.

I haven't watched every show from the early 80s, but 1985 Cadets broke the mold of the 'opener/percussion feature/production number/closer/tag' that had been so ingrained in the minds of designers. I could not tell you if there were other corps doing the same thing at the same time.

2009 Blue Devils is often overlooked - that was the first year (i think) that synth and samples were legal. BD began using it immediately with their '1930' production, trying to bring an 'authentic' feel to the show with synthesized piano and authentic radio ads. What was new to corps was a 'theme' show without a specific story using electronics to help evoke the theme. However, this may not have been original except to drum corps, as marching bands and indoor guard ensembles may have been doing it long before.

Before 1993 Star, there was 1991 Star, which really began to eschew impact points and explore using empty space in both visual and music as an effect, much to the displeasure of some fans.

INT's latest show - "Waffles: Don't forget the syrup"

• Like 5

I think Cavaliers 2002 set a new standard in thematic cohesion, and probably a new standard in performance level. This was one of the first shows I think where the music was designed for the visual, just as much as the visual was designed to fit the music.

• Like 1

1983 SCV- The first "soft" ending

1983 Cavies - The opener, "Jade"

Boo can correct me, but I think this was the first time a piece of music was written for a specific drum corps

1985 Suncoast Sound - A Florida Suite

The first time an entire show was written for a specific drum corps

1988 Suncoast Sound - Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child

A show way ahead of it's time.

Edited by skajerk
  • Like 1

1983 SCV- The first "soft" ending

1983 Cavies - The opener, "Jade"

Boo can correct me, but I think this was the first time a piece of music was written for a specific drum corps

1985 Suncoast Sound - A Florida Suite

The first time an entire show was written for a specific drum corps

1988 Suncoast Sound - Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child

A show way ahead of it's time.

Wow, a reference to "Jade" that I'm not responsible for instigating. :innocent::cool::w00t::ph34r::worthy::shutup::tongue::thumbup: Whatever became of the composer? :w00t:

However, prior to 1983, the following original works were composed for drum corps. Larry Kershner and Dennis DeLucia composed "Picturas de España" for Muchachos back in 1974. Dan Spalding composed "Time Odyssey 7534" for Cavaliers in 1975. Ray Baumgardt wrote an original concert (untitled) standstill for Madison Scouts' first show in 1976...the disco show that got entirely thrown out halfway through the season. The famous Vaclav Nelybel composed "Argonne Fanfare" for Argonne Rebels in 1977. Wayne Downey wrote "New York Fantasy" for Blue Devils in 1980. (This was originally a full-length composition instead of just a fanfare and ended up only being heard in its entirety in Wayne's arrangement of the piece for Jenson Publishing's "State of the Art" marching band series.)