Shows that changed drum corps?

Shows that Changed Drum Corps (early drum corps) All no name shows.

1967 Chicago Cavaliers

If you sat at the top of the stands at any given contest the Cavaliers performed at, you might be in danger of having this corps blow you off the top row - Nothing like the sounds of "Bully" blasting in your face. They may not have been the cleanest corps but #### if you didn't feel their impact and their emotion coming out.

1970 Casper Troopers

They taught us what cleaning up a show can do. Up to this point the corps were good and loud but not clean. Jim Jones and his crew showed us what cleaning a show could do for drum corps - and every time we saw that Sunburst it all became obvious - How the West was Won!

1973 Santa Clara Vanguard

Who can forget hearing SCV play Benjamin Britten's - "Young People's Guide" for the first time when they hit the dual tempo - did your mind explode? This along with the Fred Sanford percussion line that raised the bar and all of this augmented by their amazing color guard (in those white boots). A sight to behold!

1975 Madison Scouts

Remember the first time you heard the infamous "WALL OF SOUND" playing "Slaughter on Tenth Ave"- this was the year it started. This is the horn line that gave the other corps nightmares. These kids came to play and they killed it every time and then they would end softly with "The Way We Were" (heard a bit of that this year!). I still get chills thinking about '75 Madison!

1980 "The" 27th Lancers

The rifle section, the double flags, the horn line and percussion all coming together playing "Danny Boy". All I can say is - there will never be another 27th Lancers; this corps changed drum corps forever - "Oh Danny Boy..."

Edited by amadorj
  • Like 3

George Zingali created enough masterpieces to fill a gallery. Is there a compilation of his greatest moments out there?

That would be a great video, it would have to include 27th's rotating company front, the Z-pull, the dissolving company front, the cross to cross, plus tons of others. That man was a complete genius, and DCI is not the same without him

• Like 2

If I have to distill quitessential shows or moments from first-hand observation from the early 70s to early 80s, my choices are,

1973 Santa Clara Vanguard, especially "Young Person's Guide to Drum Corps." In the early 70s, that piece upped the ante in terms musically sophistication and visual coordination. "Fanfare and Allegory" of 1972 and 1973 reinforced the ante. That opener, along with the opening to "Henry V" from 1971, fits in there as well. Superior musical and visual all around for SCV in the early 70s. SCV upgraded marching percussion in a serious way from 1970-1975. Fred Sanford, the man in that category!

My beloved Scouts upped the ante in brass arrangements from c. 1970 to 1975.

1983 witness the next major transformative moment of the activity, IMHO, particularly the Garfield Cadets (Zingali bringing his visual approach from 2-7). The Cadets brought to bear on the activity even more visual demand that is still with us today.

• Like 2

LOL!

I will give you 2006, but 2007 was a bag. :ph34r:

:devil::tongue:

Easyyyyy now, Cadets '07 was one of the best shows in the 2000s.

As for the topic, I would have to agree with burgerbob...Cadets and BD 2000. They set a new standard. If you've never listened to BD 2000, you reallllly need to! One of my favorites of all time.

Easyyyyy now, Cadets '07 was one of the best shows in the 2000s.

As for the topic, I would have to agree with burgerbob...Cadets and BD 2000. They set a new standard. If you've never listened to BD 2000, you reallllly need to! One of my favorites of all time.

2000 was my first finals...oh what a night! The BD drummer sprinting into the stands...The Cadets quad feature (still one of my fav shows of all time, I think I'll go watch it now before bed!)...Adagio for Strings...BAC breaking top 5.

Edited by sabrefan62

Great thread. Thanks guys (and girls).

Even though it's relatively recent, I think Phantom Regiment 2008 should go down as being revolutionary for story-telling in a drum corps setting.

Wow, a reference to "Jade" that I'm not responsible for instigating. :innocent::cool::w00t::ph34r::worthy::shutup::tongue::thumbup: Whatever became of the composer? :w00t:

However, prior to 1983, the following original works were composed for drum corps. Larry Kershner and Dennis DeLucia composed "Picturas de España" for Muchachos back in 1974. Dan Spalding composed "Time Odyssey 7534" for Cavaliers in 1975. Ray Baumgardt wrote an original concert (untitled) standstill for Madison Scouts' first show in 1976...the disco show that got entirely thrown out halfway through the season. The famous Vaclav Nelybel composed "Argonne Fanfare" for Argonne Rebels in 1977. Wayne Downey wrote "New York Fantasy" for Blue Devils in 1980. (This was originally a full-length composition instead of just a fanfare and ended up only being heard in its entirety in Wayne's arrangement of the piece for Jenson Publishing's "State of the Art" marching band series.)

Thanks for those early examples. Do you by chance have a full list of music corps have performed that was written originally for them? Corpsreps, so far as I can tell, does not include that information.

That would be a great video, it would have to include 27th's rotating company front, the Z-pull, the dissolving company front, the cross to cross, plus tons of others. That man was a complete genius, and DCI is not the same without him

Truer words have never been spoken.

It was an honor and a privilege to know George.

I'd like to go on and tell a few stories but I'm getting a little choked up.

Maybe next time...

• Like 1

Even though it's relatively recent, I think Phantom Regiment 2008 should go down as being revolutionary for story-telling in a drum corps setting.

As great as that show was, it wasn't really new ground. Go back to the late 80s with Santa Clara, they really broke ground on the whole storytelling thing