Shows that changed drum corps?

As great as that show was, it wasn't really new ground. Go back to the late 80s with Santa Clara, they really broke ground on the whole storytelling thing

i remember corps in the 70s with the story telling thing or at least themed...as primative as it was.....gotta remember it was new back then

Edited by GUARDLING

I'm sorry, but BD 2010 did NOT change drumcorps. It hasn't even been 2 years since that show (finals), so it's WAY too early to tell anything about that. Here are some shows that DID change drumcorps:

1981 Santa Clara Vanguard

1983 Garfield Cadets

1993 Star of Indiana

2002 Cavaliers

I'm sorry, but BD 2010 did NOT change drumcorps. It hasn't even been 2 years since that show (finals), so it's WAY too early to tell anything about that. Here are some shows that DID change drumcorps:

1981 Santa Clara Vanguard

1983 Garfield Cadets

1993 Star of Indiana

2002 Cavaliers

What. 76 Bridgemen. Didn't change Drum Corps???

The 2000 Blue Devils and Cadets, for being the first to try out the B-flat horns and showing the rest of the activity that B-flats could be loud and effective.

Not so much. Everybody knows that Bbs aren't NEARLY as loud as Gs. Listen to 2000 BD and then listen to Adagio for Strings SCV. BIIIIG difference. That said, the effective part I agree with. We might have popped into the top 3 if we had been using Bbs. Vanguard, who has a long history of being on the "vanguard" of the activity, didn't use Bbs that year. Why? I don't know.

Empire Statesmen 1983; entertainment first that spawned a new circuit (ICA) and big changes to the dca sheets

Star United, 2006; that one changed mini-corps from an I & E event to an event that stood on its own.

Blue Devils, 1994; a new way to drum over your head that has been copied over and over, but had never been seen before

Easyyyyy now, Cadets '07 was one of the best shows in the 2000s.

As for the topic, I would have to agree with burgerbob...Cadets and BD 2000. They set a new standard. If you've never listened to BD 2000, you reallllly need to! One of my favorites of all time.

Apparently I also needed a /sarcasm tag. 2005 and 2007 were incredible Cadets shows. 2006, well, wasn't.

Haven't followed DCI for as long or as closely as most of you but I'll throw in. Don't know how much these shows "changed" drum corps, but they were significant.

1983 Cadets - no explanation needed.

1991 Star of Indiana - showed that the middle horns could carry the horn line. Also first time since DCI started in early 70's that a corp other than Cadets, Devils or Scouts won the title.

1993 Star of Indiana - the first "out there" show to place that high. Still a crime they didn't win it.

1994 Blue Devils - (yeah I'm biased here) - first debut of "monkey drumming" that forever changed drumlines. More significantly, it marked the beginning of the "new" Blue Devils and a complete change in direction for them and it led to an unprecedented run. Including 1994 there have been 18 DCI Championships and BD has won 8. :bluedevil:

The concert set-up in "Evita" raised eyebrows. It wouldn't today, but the asymmetrical arc form was disconcerting. And then there was the comet form in "Jupiter." Anyhow; yes, it wasn't the entire show and not even the majority, but it did change the game. The next year, there was a lot of asymmetry. SCV had to break the mold and made it safe for other corps to do likewise, and that is game changing.

Yes - but there was way, WAY too much park & bark in Evita, even if it was their 'concert number'. By that time corps were changing the concert set a few times during the number, but SCV didn't move for something like 2+ minutes.