Shows that changed drum corps?

While reading some of the conversations regarding changes in drum corps, I have seen people reference certain shows that fomented change in the style of drum corps. Shows such as the Cadets in 1983, Star in 1993, and Blue Devils in 2010 (and this year). Since I am a relatively new fan and I know there are people here who are a lot more knowledgeable about drum corps history than I am, I was wondering if there were any other shows that people could cite that caused drum corps to change in some notable way, even if it was only a slight change.

Teal Sound, 2010. First Corps to use an electric Rock Guitar by a Corps performer on the field of DCI competition. ( not pre show ) I still havn't figured out which judge or judges judged his rock guitar playing in the competitions this year, ( nor on which caption (s)) but this was a transformative moment in the DCI drum corps activity that we should not forget either in my opinion.

Edited by BRASSO

Teal Sound, 2010. First Corps to use an electric Rock Guitar by a Corps performer on the field of DCI competition. ( not pre show ) I still havn't figured out which judge or judges judged his rock guitar playing in the competitions this year, ( nor on which caption (s)) but this was a transformative moment in the DCI drum corps activity that we should not forget either in my opinion.

Actually, it was 2009. The corps was still in open class, but had a full rock band in the pit.

• Like 1

1990 Academie Musicale.

"It" started there. Before Star of Indiana...before anyone else.

(Ask Mike Boo :)

But sorry, no. The activity is about competition and achievement against an established set of agreed-upon standards; leave it in the hands of the judges. None of that "text your vote to ..." stuff for me, thanks.

Peace,

Fred O.

Get ready for it. It is coming and sooner than you think. In order to stop the bleeding at the box office and return to growth, the cash-paying audience will have to feel that their opinion counts. If they can vote for talent on TV when all they have to give up is time, they certainly should be allowed to vote when they are giving up time and $25.00.

This doesn't mean that standards will be abandoned. Nor will discipline and teamwork and high levels of performance value. BUT IT DOES MEAN THAT ENTERTAINMENT WILL FINALLY RETURN AND IN A BIG WAY and this is what many on this Forum have been asking for over the past years in ever-growing numbers. Our prayers will be answered!

And while BD's show may be entertaining to some and others may credit them and their 2010 show with starting a trend, I maintain that it was the 2010 MADISON SCOUTS who should get the majority of credit for righting the ship and steering the activity in this direction.

And it is the Scouts and corps like SCV, Cavaliers, Troopers, Glassmen, LaCrosse® Blue Stars, Jersey Surf, Spirit and a few others (ASSUMING THEY CAN RETURN TO THEIR BASIC ENTERTAINMENT CORE PRINCIPALS) who will benefit most. I see good things ahead for the future of drum corps in part by returning to the Best of the Past and asking the audience to vote on it.

DCA has the communication caption. New this year. So far an idea that is good in theory but poorly executed to this point...the GE judges seem to simply be rubber stamping their results into the "comunication" caption.

That said, it is a progressive idea that will require some courage and tweaking, but is at the forefront of the audience connection idea (ideal).

A TEXT YOUR VOTE idea that counts on the scoresheet and in the result of a regular season show WONT DO ANY HARM. Yes, we can keep the REGIONALS and CHAMPIONSHIPS on the sheets and in the hands of the judges....for now...while testing a fresh approach to audience participation.

Fresh usually means "different" and also means conversation, debate and interest. Not a bad thing.

When I think of the possibility that the audience vote might push, say, Carolina Crown over BD at a show and give them the opportunity to do the encore....that sounds like it might generate a little fun controversy. The "unknown" or "any given day" aspect of the contest sure makes it more interesting than looking at the lineup and slotting the order of finish before the first note is played.

Get ready for it. It is coming and sooner than you think. In order to stop the bleeding at the box office and return to growth, the cash-paying audience will have to feel that their opinion counts. If they can vote for talent on TV when all they have to give up is time, they certainly should be allowed to vote when they are giving up time and $25.00.

This doesn't mean that standards will be abandoned. Nor will discipline and teamwork and high levels of performance value. BUT IT DOES MEAN THAT ENTERTAINMENT WILL FINALLY RETURN AND IN A BIG WAY and this is what many on this Forum have been asking for over the past years in ever-growing numbers. Our prayers will be answered!

And while BD's show may be entertaining to some and others may credit them and their 2010 show with starting a trend, I maintain that it was the 2010 MADISON SCOUTS who should get the majority of credit for righting the ship and steering the activity in this direction.

And it is the Scouts and corps like SCV, Cavaliers, Troopers, Glassmen, LaCrosse® Blue Stars, Jersey Surf, Spirit and a few others (ASSUMING THEY CAN RETURN TO THEIR BASIC ENTERTAINMENT CORE PRINCIPALS) who will benefit most. I see good things ahead for the future of drum corps in part by returning to the Best of the Past and asking the audience to vote on it.

Actually, it was 2009. The corps was still in open class, but had a full rock band in the pit.

That was a cool show! I already miss seeing Teal Sound on the field, they were fun to watch and compete against in Open Class

Since the rock band was in the pit, did they fall under the percussion caption?

Thank you Mr. Boo for showing with your specifics that NOTHING IS NEW IN DRUM CORPS and if you have the time and resources everything can be traced to the beginning of time (in drum corps speak). This further supports anyone who wants to bring back an "old idea" and give it a new run whether they do this consciously or by accident.

And thank you for that observation. I was so caught up in the specifics that I didn't grasp the bigger picture there.

• Like 1

1990 Academie Musicale.

"It" started there. Before Star of Indiana...before anyone else.

(Ask Mike Boo :)

Oh, geez...I had forgotten about that.

They had the most magnificent ending to the show in "Young Sherlock Holmes." As the horn block disintegrated from the right front corner in towards the rest of the block, the members went into a leaning position on one leg as they took their horns away from their mouths and set to against their legs. They started the disintegration of the block playing the final chord on their horns, and when they ended, they were humming the same chord. But one couldn't hear the transition, so it was easily one of the most magical moments I ever witnessed. When I first saw it, I was speechless...literally. My hands were over my mouth and I was told Steve Vickers of Drum Corps World was asking me what I thought, but I wasn't responding to him. I was so much in the moment.

I live for those moments.

• Like 3

Thsnks for that year clarification.

Edited by BRASSO

DCA has the communication caption. New this year. So far an idea that is good in theory but poorly executed to this point...the GE judges seem to simply be rubber stamping their results into the "comunication" caption.

That said, it is a progressive idea that will require some courage and tweaking, but is at the forefront of the audience connection idea (ideal).

A TEXT YOUR VOTE idea that counts on the scoresheet and in the result of a regular season show WONT DO ANY HARM. Yes, we can keep the REGIONALS and CHAMPIONSHIPS on the sheets and in the hands of the judges....for now...while testing a fresh approach to audience participation.

Fresh usually means "different" and also means conversation, debate and interest. Not a bad thing.

When I think of the possibility that the audience vote might push, say, Carolina Crown over BD at a show and give them the opportunity to do the encore....that sounds like it might generate a little fun controversy. The "unknown" or "any given day" aspect of the contest sure makes it more interesting than looking at the lineup and slotting the order of finish before the first note is played.

sigh.

there is so much more to communicating than the crowd jumping up and down and throwing babies on the field.

Why do I get the feeling I'll be explaining this until i die