Shows that changed drum corps?

Can someone please explain how Blue Devils have changed the activity since 2010? This isn't the first time people have made reference to it.

They have defined their own style (even before then) but is anyone in the activity copying what they are doing?

I think many change the activity everytime a show is put together that challenges the norm..with that said YEs I believe it includes BD in many ways. It doesnt have to be copied BUT it shows success challenging the NORM. It shows ( even without copying ) that boundries can be broken and shows can go foward, backward ,sideways or anyway for that matter. I like to think what many changes have done was open the possibilities for expression in MANY shapes and forms even if not all is to our liking . I like to think although when I hear things from BITD I can remember my own marching days fondly but keep it as a great memory where it belongs so i can appreciate something else today.

I , as well as many like to think of our activity as a very creative outlet for young as well as old people and everything in between. If thats the case then WHY stifel the activity with boundries, especially if they only restrain that creative process. Many will say its to stay true to the form..Well, according to who? No matter what decade you go back or generation there will be many that leave because of the one in front of theirs and looked at as rebels from the one behind.....Kinda just life isnt it? MANY MANY who sit and revere those glory days of the 70s and 80s as I do, met with people leaving the activity as well back then because it wasnt drum corps. Many want to blame todays drum corps..wrong..nothing happens that fast...there was not a mass exit all at the same time. People left in 72 as soon as it broke from the VFWs and LEGIONS, people left when Cadets or others open the corps to females, many left when theme shows started, many left when the guard didnt wear the corps uniform, many left when dancing started and staging was used, many left when there were all of a sudden trumpets, many left when there was a pit, many left when a dumb plume was changed for some..I can go on and on but Im sure my point was made........Do I like all change? of course not but I didnt like everyone BITD either....JMO

Edited by GUARDLING

I think their 2010 show was sufficiently offputting to enough people that the fact that it won decisively led DCI to address it as directly as possible via Caesario's push for corps in 2011 to focus on "engaging the audience" and the Scouts' proposal for a rule change to add an Entertainment Effect caption, and DCI's rewrite of the scoring sheets.

And I believe all of the talk and effort *has* improved the general appeal of DCI shows in the past couple of years. YMMV about the results and I'm not sure how much the sheet changes have affected scores, but there's definitely been an effort in that direction.

Maybe I'm too old and perhaps I've got blinders on as to what is going on, but honestly, I hear there are new sheets and I see no difference what-so-ever. Everyone is placing exactly as they would if the sheets didn't change.

Maybe I'm too old and perhaps I've got blinders on as to what is going on, but honestly, I hear there are new sheets and I see no difference what-so-ever. Everyone is placing exactly as they would if the sheets didn't change.

could it be thats because thats where they belong?

I think many change the activity everytime a show is put together that challenges the norm..with that said YEs I believe it includes BD in many ways. It doesnt have to be copied BUT it shows success challenging the NORM. It shows ( even without copying ) that boundries can be broken and shows can go foward, backward ,sideways or anyway for that matter.

I am asking the following for the purposes of debate and not criticism.

There are numerous references to BD defining their programming "within the sheets." This definition has been used to explain why they are always so successful.

If they are defining their programming in this manner, in what way is this challenging the norm? They are within the rules of definition.

Can someone please explain how Blue Devils have changed the activity since 2010? This isn't the first time people have made reference to it.

They have defined their own style (even before then) but is anyone in the activity copying what they are doing?

well, when it comes to staging, they have made that more important than perhaps the movement to get to said stage. I don't think anyone is blatantly copying it for the whole show, butyou do see snippets.

If anything, I think they've helped push the activity back...other corps have become more determined to do more movement, play more melodic passages etc

Several pages of personal "back and forth" conversation (with many posts being of a derisive nature) have been removed from the thread.

Posters with personal differences are encouraged to use the Private Messaging feature to try to iron out said differences there (e.g. a private conversation rather than a "shouting match" that disrupts the original intent of the thread).

Thanks! :smile:

Bummer. You took down my Chatelaines post.

i guess BD copying Chatelaines chair thing and mentioning title IX was too much to bear.

:)

you guys have fun!

Several pages of personal "back and forth" conversation (with many posts being of a derisive nature) have been removed from the thread.

Posters with personal differences are encouraged to use the Private Messaging feature to try to iron out said differences there (e.g. a private conversation rather than a "shouting match" that disrupts the original intent of the thread).

Thanks! :smile:

I am asking the following for the purposes of debate and not criticism.

There are numerous references to BD defining their programming "within the sheets." This definition has been used to explain why they are always so successful.

If they are defining their programming in this manner, in what way is this challenging the norm? They are within the rules of definition.

They simply do it better for 1.....but staging has challenged the norm,,,,music arrangements have challenged the norm, they way they look at the guard program in the past few years has challenged the norm ( past years I didnt think so I thought they were dated with colorful costumes )they also have challenged the norm BY not conforming to maybe a popular demamd

94 BD kinda introduced the drumline playing at the ape #### monkey banana's stick heights and volume didn't they? :tongue:

And to me that was one of the first shows that kinda transitioned into the style from around 94 to 04 and more of the kinds of shows we see today.

Edited by DrumManTx