Best visual design ever?

SCV 1980, although it's not as asymmetrical as people think.

Garfield 1982 and 1985.

Phantom 1989.

Star 1993.

• Like 1

2000 cavaliers was much more interesting than the sterile 02 cavalier offering.

Geoffrey

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. :tongue:

Some of my favorite shows since 2002, visually, are:

2003 Cavaliers: Spin Cycle (should have won, imo)

2004 Santa Clara Vanguard

Okay, so I don't have many favorite shows since 2002, but there are two for you, at least...

• Like 2

1343372089[/url]' post='3185378']

SCV 1980, although it's not as asymmetrical as people think.

Garfield 1982 and 1985.

Phantom 1989.

Star 1993.

Garfield 85 is superb. Seems like it gets lost in all the discussion of 83 and 84. 85 was a huge step forward and a continuation of the progression from 82 to 84. To my eyes (and memory) 86-88 Cadets' shows have more in common with design elements of 85 than 85 did with 82-84. Maybe my memory is failing, but 85 doesn't get enough recognition.

Very interesting topic to read.

On one hand you have basic design, but on the other, you have ability versus time aspect. Kids of today are in way better shape and in condition to do the drills of today. The kids (I include myself in this group) of the 80's were not of the same caliber.

So, what Garfield pulled off in the mid 80s was extremely well done for the ability of the performers of that era.(cant remember which of their championship shows was better designed, I would have to go back and watch)

Stars last 2 minutes of Pines of Rome, was also incredible to watch from a design stand point.

Cavaliers took it to another level in the early 2000's. I loved the design of Spin Cycle (2003). The visual demand was huge.

In honesty, when you toss in the demand of the rest of the show, I really like Crowns design this year as well.

But, remembering where drum corps came from (neighbor hood kids wanting to get off of the street and stay out of trouble) drum corps visual design has become more and more demanding in most cases. So, what may seem extremely difficult back in the "day", is also just as cool today when you consider talent and ability.

• Like 2

As pointed out, the kids are in better shape these days. But also, designers now have the tools to more deeply analyze performances of their own shows and other shows they wish to learn from, and computerized drill writing has radically changed what drill writers are able to create and how fast they can build and revise drill, while imposing unpredictable and quirky limitations on the end-product.

So, given the changes over the years, including rule changes, corps size changes, and fashion changes, I think the question as posed is far too broad. I agree that the 80s Cadets and 90s Star shows are all the more impressive given the tools they had to work with at the time, even if visual design has since progressed beyond what was even possible back then.

How about something tighter, like: since 2000, which shows for each corps, or for each year, have the best visual design? I think there's a strong argument for 2003 being the peak of Cavies' early 00s style. Cadets 2011 had a ton of genius moments. I think Crown managed their most coherent, consistent, and satisfying visual design in 2009. I think the overall visual design of Phantom 2010 was genius. Not sure if it lived up to the concept entirely, but it comes close. BD 2010 will definitely have its proponents, and I find lots to like with that show visually. I think Blue Stars also had their best visual design in 2010 (apparently that was a good year from my perspective). I think Blue Knights may have topped themselves this year, visually. Wow!

• Like 1

Sure am seeing a lot of "off-season" threads :satisfied: . I'm j/k, they're fun to partake in, but it seems the season is already over when people start reflecting about the past.

Anyways....for me, I would say early 2000's Cavies (2000 was my fav b/c that's what initially caught my eye about DCI). 2002 was clean clean clean and put out all the stops, yet I get a feel of "clean as sterile ####" quality from that show; but it's obviously at the very top in regards to drill and staging. Maybe it's b/c it's hard to listen to the music without the visual. 2003, to me, had a little something missing with staging of performers in the opener particularly the way the color guard was used.

I like 2011 Cadets visual design.

Me too.

• Like 1