Drum corps/Marching Band in the Olympics

You're welcome, I guess. smile.gif

Random question - let's say a major US city (Chicago, for example, since that was in the voting last) gets to host the...2020 Olympic Summer Games, and the US Olympic Committee has decreed they want junior drum corps from DCI involved in the production of the Opening/Closing Ceremonies!

What would happen, in terms of scheduling? The Summer Games are held right in the middle of the season. Would corps take the time away from the competitive schedule to be involved? Not every corps could possibly be invited [or maybe they could be! devil.gif] so it's not as though the tour would stop for everyone, just the few invited. How would the corps deal with that? I'd like to think that the lucky corps would go for the opportunity to support their country, but given how packed the tour schedule is...I dunno. What are your thoughts?

Won't happen for a couple of reasons. First, the USOC has nothing to do with the program or entertainment at the Olympic Games. That's detemined by the host city organizing committee. Second, the USOC has decided not to make any bids for the Olympics until the 2024 summer games and 2026 winter games.

The Company, the 2011 DCEurope champions, will be performing at the closing ceremony in London this olympics.

It's not clear what they are going to do though. I don't think they will be marching their show, but more some kind of 'band performance'.

If you have the chance, you should really search up their 2012 show on youtube. It's called Red Riding Hood, and is really awesome again. They're 6 points ahead of Kidsgrove Scouts in DCUK right now, probably winning it all again this year.

• Like 1

Some of you might remember that Santa Clara was originally scheduled to perform at the '84 Olympics in Los Angeles, but it was later canceled.

Just as well, since SCV won Drums Along The Rockies in Denver the night of the opening ceremonies.

Fred Sanford was percussion coordinator for those ceremonies.

Edited by Northern Thunder

The Calgary Stampede contest already looks like an Olympics of sorts. Here are the results from this year's parade:

92.2 Chien Kuo High School Marching Band, Taipei City, Taiwan

90.8 Red Deer Royals Marching Showband, Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

89.3 Mankato Area 77 Lancers, Mankato, Minnesota, USA

89.2 Fanfarenzug Potsdam, Germany

87.8 Lakeside Lutheran Warrior Marching Band, Lake Mills, Wisconsin, USA

86.8 Helsingør Pigegarde, Denmark

86.7 Mission Viejo High School Diablo Marching Band, Mission Viejo, California, USA

86.5 Bishop Grandin Marching Ghosts, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

86.3 Calgary Stetson Showband, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

84.3 Fulda High School Raider Marching Band, Fulda, Minnesota, USA

82.7 Glenmore Temple Salvation Army Band, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

82.0 Berittener Fanfarenzug Freckenhorst e.V., Germany

81.7 Hunter School of Performing Arts Marching Band, Australia

81.0 Linkoping Youth Concert & Marching Band, Linkoping, Sweden

75.8 Cranbrook Girls Bugle Band, Cranbrook, British Columbia, Canada

67.2 The Queen's Bands, Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Edited by Northern Thunder

The Calgary Stampede contest already looks like an Olympics of sorts. Here are the results from this year's parade:

92.2 Chien Kuo High School Marching Band, Taipei City, Taiwan

90.8 Red Deer Royals Marching Showband, Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

89.3 Mankato Area 77 Lancers, Mankato, Minnesota, USA

89.2 Fanfarenzug Potsdam, Germany

87.8 Lakeside Lutheran Warrior Marching Band, Lake Mills, Wisconsin, USA

86.8 Helsingør Pigegarde, Denmark

86.7 Mission Viejo High School Diablo Marching Band, Mission Viejo, California, USA

86.5 Bishop Grandin Marching Ghosts, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

86.3 Calgary Stetson Showband, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

84.3 Fulda High School Raider Marching Band, Fulda, Minnesota, USA

82.7 Glenmore Temple Salvation Army Band, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

82.0 Berittener Fanfarenzug Freckenhorst e.V., Germany

81.7 Hunter School of Performing Arts Marching Band, Australia

81.0 Linkoping Youth Concert & Marching Band, Linkoping, Sweden

75.8 Cranbrook Girls Bugle Band, Cranbrook, British Columbia, Canada

67.2 The Queen's Bands, Kingston, Ontario, Canada

alot more international than DCI :smile:

The Company, the 2011 DCEurope champions, will be performing at the closing ceremony in London this olympics.

It's not clear what they are going to do though. I don't think they will be marching their show, but more some kind of 'band performance'.

If you have the chance, you should really search up their 2012 show on youtube. It's called Red Riding Hood, and is really awesome again. They're 6 points ahead of Kidsgrove Scouts in DCUK right now, probably winning it all again this year.

Its all a bit hush hush but The Company are involved with the closing ceremony. My understanding is it isn't DC as we know it. Apparently it is very cool. Time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

The Company's show in July, taken off their official youtube page, they will be performing on sunday in the Olympic Closing Ceremony, will hope to see some footage online afterwards!

Edited by FSM

1996 Cadets perform their closer with no field markings and then do a skit with Bill Irwin. British commentary over the entire thing and they refer to the corps as a band a couple of times.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2853774795331584631

What? No hash marks?

:w00t:

I don't know about putting competitive marching band into the Olympics as a sport [i'll let that discussion play out], however...

The next time that the United States hosts an Olympics, I would think that some of the major DCI corps should try and get involved in the opening ceremonies. The history of drum corps is just so tied into the history of this country as a whole, it seems a perfect match. I know the LA '84 games had opening ceremonies involving a drum corps/marching band, and if I remember, the video was awesome!

(Yes, epic!)

Drum corps is just so quintessentially American, but since I have been alive (meaning the Atlanta and Salt Lake City games) I don't think there has been much drum corps on display in our opening ceremonies. [Edit - I stand corrected, apparently. Can anyone find me a video of the Cadets in Atlanta? That sounds awesome.] That seems a dreadful shame, in my opinion. How great would it be if, for example, DCI worked out a deal with the Olympic Committee that the winning corps from the year prior to the Olympics got to open the Games? It would not only be a great way to display what we do at DCI, but also to display a wonderful American tradition and some awesome music, as well!

[Although, upon further thought, if the next American Olympics is a Summer Games, it could interrupt the DCI season, but I'm just spitballing here...]

Personally, I just think this is something that DCI should actively pursue with the USOC, because it would be SO COOL!

the challenge would be that the summer games fall smack dab in the middle of the DCI season, so a corps would have a hard time doing the ceremony in another contry, and it was very challenging for Cadets in 1996.

They performed 1st in Allentown that year and left right after their performance to dead head straight to atlanta where they spent a day rehearsing the skit with Bill Irwin. Then they performed the skit as well as most of their 1996 field show (seperate performances). The field show was performed on an unlined field by the way.

After their performance in Atlanta they then had a long bus ride to catch back up to the DCI tour.

It was brutal on the members