Murfreesboro Mussitations

Seriously?

To some people, everything is a conspiracy theory against the Blue Devils. But to those of us that were in the stands, it was one of the most amazing performances I've ever witnessed and probably ever will. That crowd reaction was because that amazing of a performance won their first solo title ever by the narrowest margin allowable.

um no they were even 16.8 at SA 17.2 Dallas...so I still call BULLSHXX on a 15.9 tonight...

To go from 17.2 to a 15.9 in Guard from one show to the next in less than 3 days most likely is not performance related. Its possible that it is performance related, but highly unlikely. This seems like a case where there is a wide difference of opinion between 2 Guard judges of the quality level of a Guard. In any performance where there are multiple performers in a section ( in this case Guard.. over 30 performers ) they'll be some performers in the section that will have a good night in performance compared to the previous performance, others an off nite compared to the previous performance, and some a consistent performance from the previous performance. As such there is usually not that much of a swing in scores in a caption from one nite to the next, as they negate one another out. Also,we generally don't see a spread that is stark from all the Corps in previous performance, as not all performers those Corps sections will have a better nite than the Corps that had a precipitous mysterious drop in section score. So this is a case where one judge may have scored the section too high and the next judge in the very next show scored the section way too low. The correct evalation might have been somewhere in the middle. In this particular case had this occured with Boston's guard last nite, your former Corps would have beaten the Cavaliers as they were less than 2 tenths behind the Cavaliers as it was. But todays a new day, and maybe these judges will get a chance to see Boston's Guard again down the road before the season is over. Right now, the two Guard judges here ( Oliviero and Miller )simply have a wide difference of opinion on the quality level of Boston's Guard.

Edited by BRASSO

Glad you loved their show.

You have the right attitude. Cadets placement is likely not going up based on what I saw last night. Lots of grumbling in the stands after the show about execution and overall the crowd seemed bored with the show.

Honestly, I thought The Cadets seemed very tired last night ... I think the 34 show schedule has taken a toll.

In summary.

Comparing last years tour of champions show to this years.

I did not see the excitement in the crowd that I did last year. Last year the corps seemed to be on the road to recovery in the entertainment and connecting with the audience. Last year was full of standing O's. This year lots of golf claps and not many Standing O's.

What happened to the instant encores? Last year people were on DCP raving about how much fun they were and how it added so much more to the festivities. I know several peeps that received comment cards from DCI on last years show and I know DCI got the message. I know last years show went about a hour longer but it was well worth it.

The mass corps at the end was fun to watch. Loved it. Note to the Trumpets. Don't try for notes you don't own. Leads sounded pinched off and airy big time. It was right down embarrassing.

Completely agree with your comment about the excitement level ... I will say I enjoy seeing the Corps in a open stadium ... it's something about the lighting that is totally different than in a dome. Flag colors pop ... Corps uniforms shine ... etc.

Honestly, I thought The Cadets seemed very tired last night ... I think the 34 show schedule has taken a toll.

BD has 40% less performance shows than The Cadets this year. Thats A LOT. So you might just be correct in this observation.. who knows.

Edited by BRASSO

Glad you loved their show.

You have the right attitude. Cadets placement is likely not going up based on what I saw last night. Lots of grumbling in the stands after the show about execution and overall the crowd seemed bored with the show.

They had a lot of high brass sticking out.

The part in the show where corps proper does a long, sweep to the back right and then around left to blast the end of Carol of the Bells is a vacuum within the show. I'm all about development, but that part drags on and on and on.

That role is given to the judges in the competition to determine if the BD have a " design flaw" in their show. I don't make that decision. You frankly don't either. The judges do and they have quite clearly made a collective decision that no " design flaw " is present in the 2012 show production.

It's a weird sticking point here. My best read is that you believe the scores are the only way to judge the design. So, if I take your meaning of "design" to mean "scores" then yes, BD has the best scores. :thumbup:

Maybe its just me, but I have never gone back and payed for a movie a 2nd time that I did not like the first time. As a matter of fact I have never gone back to any performance in the performing arts that I did not like the first time. While its perhaps true that had I gone back to a disliked movie and watched it a few more times I might come to a better appreciation of it, the movie unfortunately never gets that chance with me. If I don't like the movie, I move on to other things. Will I go back to watch a movie I did not like the first time ? Not a snowball's chance in Hades. Some of these Corps get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th or more chances to impress audiences that are die hard devotees to the Drum Corps activity. But for many, they only get one bite at the apple. If the first bite is sour, no further bites are made. It gets tossed in the likeability element and its impression becomes permanently ingrained in their mind.

So you agree with me! There *is* a design flaw in the BD show!! :ph34r:

So you agree with me! There *is* a design flaw in the BD show!! :ph34r:

No. There is no " design flaw " in the BD show as I define " design flaw ". I can find a show unappealing, but recognize that there is no " design flaw ". I leave to the judges to determine if there is a " design flaw " in the show. Thats in their domain. I don't go there. I can't. They won't allow it. On the other hand, I reserve the right to decide if a show is appealing to me or not. Thats in my domain. The judges can't go there. They can't. I won't allow it. I guess thats how I see it anyway.

Edited by BRASSO