The show MUST go on....NOT!

But most other athletic activities change their rules from time to time to make them safer. The uneven parallel bars (in gymnastics) completely changed the orientation of the bars after the routines were becoming too wildly unsafe. Rules in football are being continually modified, such as with regards to the amount and type of contact allowed. Are you saying drumcorps should never change its rules in the interests of safety?

Nope; I am saying that what happened to that Crown kid was an anomaly; a very rare anomaly. And I do not see the need at the current juncture, nor in the foreseeable future, to force the corps to limit their show design. When you take the number of youth engaged in all of drum corps today who suffer debilitating injuries (such as a broken ankle, shattered knee, torn ligament, etc...) and compare them with other athletic activities the percentage of injury in drum corps is still way, way, way smaller.

• Like 1

I am saying, let the corps staff and medical personal, the contest coordinators, judges, and the people who are there do their best.

Normally, I would agree with you. But we saw last night that their best was quite poor...especially on the part of that particular judge.

I can't help but think that the reason nobody did anything for two whole minutes is because nobody knew what to do...or thought they didn't have a responsibility to do anything. For that reason, I think there should be procedures in place to deal with something like this.

When you take the number of youth engaged in all of drum corps today who suffer debilitating injuries (such as a broken ankle, shattered knee, torn ligament, etc...) and compare them with other athletic activities the percentage of injury in drum corps is still way, way, way smaller.

Just out of curiosity (and this is just another rhetorical question) - how do we know that? What you say may be (I'm guessing probably is) true now. But how would we know that going into the future? Is there any oversight or data collected on injuries? (I actually don't know the answer to that question - just asking)

Edited by scottgordon

I disagree. You can do MORE HARM moving an injured person than treating them initially where the injury takes place.

Those that would go ballistic if their child was not moved quickly, might be the first one to file a law suit if their child was moved quickly and a more serious injury resulted without a proper evaluation by a qualified medical person.

(Opppsss! Had not read beyond L's post before the above reply, so Stu's reply was not seen.)

Edited by Ghost

Those that would go ballistic if their child was not moved quickly, might be the first one to file a law suit if their child was moved quickly and a more serious injury resulted without a proper evaluation by a qualified medical person.

I would go ballistic if my son were left lying on the field...in pain...with no attention whatsoever. And I would not be filing any law suits.

Just out of curiosity (and this is just another rhetorical question) - how do we know that? What you say may be (I'm guessing probably is) true now. But how would we know that going into the future? Is there any oversight or data collected on injuries? (I actually don't know the answer to that question - just asking)

Actually, YES, there is.

Every year, the medical teams from all the drums corps get together at the Jan-ual and go into sessions for the whole weekend and share data and scenarios. They sit through sessions from professionals and people from similar activities.

There are a lot of medical professionals that are associated with the drum corps that are working together for the benefit of the students.

Mike Boo could tell you more, I'm sure.

Edited by njthundrrd

MASS HYSTERIA!

Take a breathe please.

I think this is more about parents getting worked up than the kids really honestly being in danger. As other people have said, stopping a show like that without warning, especially in an intense moment can be VERY dangerous for all the members, especially in a show situation. I can tell you that now matter how well trained a corps is, they aren't expecting a cut or a halt in the middle of a performance once they're all suited up and the adrenaline is pumping. MAYBE people would see it, and maybe someone would get a contra slammed into the back of their head when the pathway they depend on closes up.

I think the staff did the right thing in pulling him off the field. Yes the judge should have maybe helped out, but perhaps they didn't realize how badly this member was hurt. Also it's probable that most of the staff either didn't see the fall because they were at field level, or couldn't get there in time because they were up in the box. It's hard to react that quickly sometimes.

From what I'm hearing the member was off to the side, and not in the direct path of other marchers, so it looks like they dodged a bigger incident.

In the end, stuff happens, and the professionals do their best to react. Saying that the show MUST stop when someone falls is an overreaction and not right for all situations. It creates a nanny state and would most likely cause bigger problems down the line for fans and corps.

The funny thing is that if you ask the member, they probably agree that they would want the show to continue. I know that if it was me, I would want my fellow members to continue on without me.

• Like 2

there are a lot of posts in this thread about leaving things to the professionals...

is the 23 year old trumpet tech who reaches the injured person first a professional? is the judge on the field a professional regarding the potential damage from moving the injured person? are they supposed to wait for the people from the ambulance to show up while the rest of the kids keep marching the show?

Also, you never really know what "out of the way" is... someone 15 yards from the nearest marchers could be stepped on in seconds at 180+ bpm

I don't know what the answer is, but I don't think DCI has it figured out sufficiently yet.

• Like 1

I don't understand how people are coming here with the idea that it could be more dangerous to stop a show during the middle of a performance than to let the corps finish..... HUH? Corps staff stop run throughs every day of the week and believe or not performing members do actually look at the DMs. When someone goes down during a performance and is unable to get back up every effort should be made the get them out of the way or to get assistance to them. There could have been something far worse than a twisted ankle or sprain. This is not football where a really long play rarely exceeds a few seconds. Last night during Academy's show we saw the way guard equipment was being blown yards away from it's release point. That show should have been stopped.

I noticed that video is not on the Fan Network today. I wonder why.

Edited by musclebud
  • Like 1

Actually, YES, there is.

Every year, the medical teams from all the drums corps get together at the Jan-ual and go into sessions for the whole weekend and share data and scenarios. They sit through sessions from professionals and people from similar activities.

There are a lot of medical professionals that are associated with the drum corps that are working together for the benefit of the students.

Mike Boo could tell you more, I'm sure.

That is great.

Also...aren't there EMTs at every show, provided by the sponsor? I've seen them at all of the shows I've seen, both corps and band.