Crown is... just okay.

My friend i brought to a show earlier this season wanted to see the top corps and i showed him BD and CC. I was going to quote him but ill sum it up. Opener is really good but drops after that and said he doesnt like the drill. I can listen to this show on my CD but watching and listening it doesnt appeal to me(does that sound weird?). Not taking anything away from the performers because they are doing a great job.

That's essentially how I feel about this show. Musically, I love what they're doing (percussion issues aside). Visually, not so much. There's some great moments sprinkled in, but I find myself cringing more than being simply delighted. Different strokes, for different folks.

• Like 2

I've been perusing these boards for a while, and I'l use this post to say I haven't seen much overt CC love. I read a lot that they're dirty visually though, As a professed madison and phantom fan, I admit that I like this show! There, hope I don't get too much crap for saying it!

Have to agree. The first few minutes are amazing. But the Perc is not up there, and the rest of the show is kind of flat to me. But, as Crown cleans, the show could really contend. My large concern with Crown this year is that their percussion may not be good enough for them to win. Having said that, stranger things have happened.

• Like 3

I still believe this is the show to beat. The show has excitement and a lot of difficulty and some great effects, and is a crowd favorite. There is just a lot of wow factor imo that I believe come finals, will bump their GE scores and make them a true contender. It's funny how two threads have emerged almost simultaneously, one questioning BD's scores and show and the other questioning the hype surrounding Crown.

• Like 2

I still believe this is the show to beat. The show has excitement and a lot of difficulty and some great effects, and is a crowd favorite. There is just a lot of wow factor imo that I believe come finals, will bump their GE scores and make them a true contender. It's funny how two threads have emerged almost simultaneously, one questioning BD's scores and show and the other questioning the hype surrounding Crown.

I don't question BD scores at all. There are lots of threads that focus hatred on BD, and it is kind of nice to be on one that doesn't.

The lovefest for Crown is truly based on the quality of brass sound and approach to the instrument. They really can't be touched in this area.

We all know they are dirty, although I seeing the dots clean up on the whiplash jazzrunning sets. They still need to clean from dot to dot. Lots of control issues. If they square their shoulders better ... it will at least clean the top half of the corps and make things more readable while they're in transition. It's getting there.... so I see the light at the end of the tunnel potentially.

Percussion did some hosing and even that was really bad tonight. I'd like to offer that the battery had a sub-par run by their current standards last night. I still don't see them getting higher than 5th in percussion by finals ... but corps have won with 5th place drumlines in the past.

The big Fanfare section that is extended ... what I asked for in June is now becoming more clear. The body work on the ground is not effective ... or not as effective as they had hoped .. and for the hardliners .. it's offensive (not even borderline). This chunk of the show could really go places if they marched about 10 more sets and stayed off the ground ... keeping it classic drum corps for a classic drum corps moment. It's not bad by any means .. but it could definitely be much better.

They still have the big issue of visual variety. Too much big spacing and block/grid sets in this show. The field coverage is massive .. they win the trophy for super flight ..... but it's missing the mark.

I won't comment on guard ... I never really see them in this show due to the heavy integration and lack of color change from the corps proper. They just blend too well. The cube section (where the brass are mostly on the ground) takes way too long to develop .. and the message gets lost.

Just some key points and thoughts on what the staff can do to tweak the show (not that they'll ever read this). But those are my thoughts on how to make this show a winner and a classic. Either way ... I'm in awe of this brass line .. they're velocity while playing ... and the total musical package.

cliff notes: Make the visual compensate for the slower paced music .. and this show will cook. And clean it up!

• Like 3

I don't question BD scores at all. There are lots of threads that focus hatred on BD, and it is kind of nice to be on one that doesn't.

See, this is where you lose me. Just because someone doesn't like a show doesn't mean they "hate" it, or the corps performing it. BD will do what BD does, CC will do what they do, as will every corps out there. It doesn't mean we have to love them all, or that we "hate" any of them.

I've not enjoyed a BD show in a while, and that's too bad. Outstanding performers, but it's the design of their shows that loses me. Do I "hate" them? Of course not. I'm waiting for sometime in the future when I can say, "Wow! I like this show from BD!" Hopefully, I won't have to wait too long.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor
  • Like 4

When you have a tremendously difficult program accompanied by great performance, then it's not hard to see why people would think Crown should win. If you aren't a BD homer and look at the visual for more than 2 minutes, you realize that BD simply doesn't measure up. You can see that they're incredibly dirty and "nonsense" forms are "justified" by the dada concept. The fact is, it's dirty as hell and they're getting away with it. Furthermore, they have no effect but somehow they are capturing the general effect captions. Maybe that's why they're getting golf-clapped and boos every time scores are announced. There's no doubt about thier performance. These guys are performing at a level unmatched this year. Like holy crap... BD is great on the individual level. But why they're winning GE, I'll never know. Why they're winning Visual, I'll never know.

• Like 2