Crown is... just okay.

FWIW Corbin I think you've been much better this year :-) But I understand the CCFMMs getting a little upset with some of what you post :-\ They don't think you should ever criticize your corps in public (and I respect that POV too).

Anyway I think if Crown pulls out the win this season, you'll stand up and clap and then *still* want to fire the entire visual staff :colgate:

Hey hey... I criticize the corps. 2002 and 2004 come to mind. We aren't all blind loyalists.

Don't get me started on the lack of a TRUE alumni association

• Like 2

My point is that this is the exact type of crap that these Crown honks spout out. They put down BD or defend booing under the guise of "I am blaming the staff, not the kids, so it is ok to be an ######## and if anyone gets angry at that or points out I'm being disingenuous then they are wrong, not me!"

Why are you accusing the "Crown Honks" as you use the term of being the one'e putting down Blue Devils. There are a lot people that dont like the direction that Blue Devils have gone the last few years. And the simple fact is that BD visual program is not nearly as demanding as their top tier competitors nor is it as demanding as their own shows from the past.. This is not to say that show is enjoyable. It is! And as far the booing..... Booing was occuring decades before the BD's furniture shows. The first show I ever went to 1978.... people in stands booed when Scouts beat Bridgmen.

Sometimes a boo or hiss just comes out..it is just part of human nature for better or worse. .. I still always applaud at the end of a corps show even I didnt like it.... I am applauding the work and dedication the kids put worth. If something makes me angry I bring it you good people on DCP forums.

'

Edited by musclebud
  • Like 1

So funny reading these comments while thinking back. 10 years ago, brass was the weakest section!

Actually, 2002... the guard scored lower at Semi's (they didn't make Finals).

... but I get what you mean.

The irony is that the percussion was the strong section. Wouldn't it be great if they got Rennick to come back?

...and honestly if you don't, it doesn't bother me. I have disliked other popular shows. SCV 09, PR 96, etc. I just didn't get it. To each their own. It's ok to have varying tastes. <see that BD fans>

Whoa. I don't think I've ever seen someone say they weren't into PR 96. Deep. I'm trying to think if I have any similar examples. I no longer care for Cadets' show last year darkness into light / good vs. evil shows annoy me to no end. Oh, and Bloo 2009. Never saw the appeal.

And hey. Some BD fans (including myself) are actively, wholeheartedly into the idea of Crown winning this year, just like many of us were ecstatic when PR won in 08. Greatness is greatness, da-da-da.

Whoa. I don't think I've ever seen someone say they weren't into PR 96. Deep. I'm trying to think if I have any similar examples. I no longer care for Cadets' show last year darkness into light / good vs. evil shows annoy me to no end. Oh, and Bloo 2009. Never saw the appeal.

And hey. Some BD fans (including myself) are actively, wholeheartedly into the idea of Crown winning this year, just like many of us were ecstatic when PR won in 08. Greatness is greatness, da-da-da.

It was Scythian Suite. It has never worked for me. I loved the Biebl Ave Maria!

EDIT.....

Oh crap...I see what I did, I MEANT PR 2006! I was off an entire decade!!!! Wow, No I love PR 96 :)

Edited by DCImonkey

I admit I don't understand this criticism. The drill is crazy at times, but I think the franticness of the drill matches the music perfectly. And the tension in the drill resolves along with the tension in the music.

And then contrast that with the achingly slow full-field slowly building company front in Fanfare, which again matches the highly ordered, deliberately paced music perfectly.

To some extent there *is* an element of performing incredible feats just for the hell of it. I take that to match the theme of the show. Individuals can do incredible things on their own, but as demonstrated during the percussion feature, sometimes it causes consequences for the rest of the group. So when the backfield timpani calls everyone to order, uniforms are tweaked, and now everyone is working together, slowly at first, and then once they realize their power together (the resolution of Fanfare and the company front and the lifting of the cube), they blast off into an even higher energy finale with drill just as speedy as the opener, but with a much more highly ordered structure (the scalene triangle and the rotating cube). :thumbup:

(And then they close with the Crown, the strongest shape known to mankind. :w00t:)

^^^^^ a very well thought out and presented analysis. I feel like I lot of people miss the whole common man half of the show. Which is funny because I'm pretty sure that was of most of the reason the design team picked it. (hence the title)