Booing scores/winners

According to people on this message board it is very easy! You can just watch a show on the internet and single-handedly judge the show better than the judges that are actually there, 3 feet away from the performers and in the pressbox!

Some judges never marched in a Drum & Bugle Corps. Think about that.

Booing shows a lack of class. And I am really disgusted with the defense of booing as "everyone does it or every sport has it." Geez, as a parent, would I ever let my kid get away with that BS? Can't we be better in at least 1 way?

I don't boo. But, "fans" can do whatever they like, including showing their complete lack of class by booing. Sad.

Some judges never marched in a Drum & Bugle Corps. Think about that.

OK, I just thought about it. Your contention is that Al Chez would be a qualified music judge because he marched Cadets, but Doc Severinsen or Jon Faddis, because they did not march, are by that very fact alone, no mater what else they have accomplished, unqualified to judge music. The ball is in back in your court to defend your position; think about that.

Booing shows a lack of class. And I am really disgusted with the defense of booing as "everyone does it or every sport has it." Geez, as a parent, would I ever let my kid get away with that BS? Can't we be better in at least 1 way?

I don't boo. But, "fans" can do whatever they like, including showing their complete lack of class by booing. Sad.

I am not defending the booing, or defending their lack of class; I am defending their right to boo and their right to have no class. People here in the United States in general can show lack of class on just about everything. Try booing Ahmadinejad in Iran, especially if you are a woman, and see what happens. Booing is called exercising "freedom" whether you think it sad or not.

People have been booing results of shows for as long as I've experienced drum corps competition. They even did it when corps did full retreat.

It's part of being in a sport, particularly one with judges. As someone else said, it happens at the Olympics. It happens at baseball games. It happens on American Idol.

It's freedom of speech.

I'll never get the "it hurts the kids feelings" argument. In my experience, "kids" who march drum corps are tough. Also, its rarely the losing corps that are getting booed. I find it hard to imagine that members of a corps that is getting high scores and even winning is going to be bothered by not getting applause or having their results booed. Some of these corps have not been getting great audience response for years and they still manage attract a bevy of talented people wanting to march in them every year.

I suspect it is hurting the parents' feelings more than the kids.

• Like 1

It's likely far more complicated than you realize. There may be other corporations involved who pay DeGrauwe, or he may receive payment for other services he provides to Cavaliers outside the legally mandated "director" position, for which he receives no "salary". Unless you've done some non-profit tax accounting or served on the board of a non-profit, you probably aren't qualified to make sense out of the 990s, so I would suggest ignoring them.

(I'm certainly not qualified. I have merely glimpsed the complex structure of many large non-profits via my wife who *is* in fact a tax accountant who *has* spent many years on the board of a non-profit. And hearing her explain how things work and how many different options exist to structure the finances of these often multi-tiered beasts we tend to think of as single entities made me realize that not only will I never understand it, but that I never want to.)

You can rest assured that these corps with million-dollar-plus budgets who have won many championships do manage to pay their staff well for the extremely high-demand and rare services and skills they provide.

The DCI article I linked earlier said he receives "no remuneration" for his work with the Cavaliers, and hasn't since he started in the early 70s.

No reason to apologize as you weren't misleading any of us. We all knew you were wrong.

LOL ... nice