Was there a lot of criticism of The Cavaliers in the early 00s?

Don't quote RAMD as a valid sample of opinion however. That site was inhabited by The Fellowship of the Miserable that you would not believe. Some of them had jumped the shark regarding their version of Drum Corps well before the Cavaliers of the early 2000's. Most of them there didn't go to Drum Corps shows. They lived in nursing homes, prisons, and housing shelters, and were typing on borrowed computers using flashlights late at nite.

True as far is it goes. But the thread to which skywhopper links is populated with the founder of DCP and some of the current admins and longest-contributing members. RAMD is the direct ancestor of DCP - except with police, which every community online or virtual - needs. It is a measure of the success of DCP that so few topics these days need to be closed.

Spin Cycle was not well-beloved. It was another show where unrecognizable music was arranged to fit a visual idea. The guard uniforms were also questionable. I heard some criticism of that year's drumline - Cadets and BD were in a class of their own that year.

Admittedly, I'm a Cavalier alum, but also someone who values the best in the activity when it rears its head.

Of the three original music shows in the early 00's (2001-2003), Spin Cycle might have been, musically, the most complete of all of them. I suspect that if they hadn't run the table with 2002, that it would have had a shot at getting a few numbers tweaks it needed that year to win.

Guard unis be d_mned; they worked with the show, and the uni design made use of their design for maximum effect. If anything they were simply ahead of the curve (has anyone SEEN what BD is wearing this year?).

A great series of seasons that moved the activity forward, even if some were unhappy at the time.

Edited by mobrien

Admittedly, I'm a Cavalier alum, but also someone who values the best in the activity when it rears its head.

Of the three original music shows in the early 00's (2001-2003), Spin Cycle might have been, musically, the most complete of all of them. I suspect that if they hadn't run the table with 2002, that it would have had a shot at getting a few numbers tweaks it needed that year to win.

Guard unis be d_mned; they worked with the show, and the uni design made use of their design for maximum effect. If anything they were simply ahead of the curve (has anyone SEEN what BD is wearing this year?).

A great series of seasons that moved the activity forward, even if some were unhappy at the time.

I actually thought that the guard uniform fit the theme of the show very well. Remember the title was "Spin Cycle"...so, you have to remember the type of clothes a bicyclist would wear in a a race. I didn't personally like them at first, but after a second look, I realized the reasoning behind them. I've been watching this show on Dvd several times and personally think that it should have won. Yes, it was a visual masterpiece (another great Gaines drill), but everything was so well coordinated (music, drill, guard, etc.).

Edited by cavies79

I actually thought that the guard uniform fit the theme of the show very well. Remember the title was "Spin Cycle"...so, you have to remember the type of clothes a bicyclist would wear in a a race. I didn't personally like them at first, but after a second look, I realized the reasoning behind them. I've been watching this show on Dvd several times and personally think that it should have won. Yes, it was a visual masterpiece (another great Gaines drill), but everything was so well coordinated (music, drill, guard, etc.).

Oh yea I agree also.

Eh when it comes to "guard" I just shrug as most of them do have strange costumes. It's not guard anymore it's dance which is fine. it's not as precise as it used to be but they also do a lot more motion now days. Cavaliers are one of the few (if only) that has actually kept a lot of precision in their program and for that I salute them!

I remember a few shows the Cavies did that I didn't care for, and then they started doing some really neat theme shows and that all changed. But they went through a period where folks sat on their hands, but I don't remember it ever being like what BD is doing and experiencing.

I don't think the DCP archives (at least back that far) are accessible anymore, but I remember the 2002 show being very controversial on DCP. There were even people predicting that the Cavaliers were going to be overtaken eventually.

But of course the general attitude of DCP isn't always reflected in the stands.

As for the "hate" for these three corps in the past decade, I think each is really a completely different situation.

Cavies were disliked (to a lesser degree than the others) mostly because of success, but a little because of emphasis on visual, and other minor design reasons.

Cadets were disliked almost entirely because of their use of the "new elements"... voice mostly, and some very different design elements (characters in 2006). I don't think the 'hate' was at all because of their success as Obviously 2006 and 2008 were not successful by Cadets standards. And I really never got the impression that in 2005 when they won, and 2007 when their nearly won, that anyone seriously thought they should be placing much lower. Those were some seriously performing corps and I think were highly respected as performers... with the hate really being thrown all at the design team (by that I mean mostly Hopkins).

The Blue Devils recently I think have been disliked because of a mixture of success and design elements.... which has been discussed at length even in the past few days. So they get the double whammy of hate, which is why it has become so bad lately.

I think there is a generation gap in the notion that people hate on BD because they are successful. I have only once felt that way .. and it was 1986. I was 15. I didn't get Jazz at the time. I couldn't fathom how that show beat an incredibly classy SCV "classic" show. I grew up and learned .... with that came respect .. with that respect came admiration .. and that has never left me. For those from my era and before me .. I think they object to BD strictly and solely based upon their design elements. This year doesn't bother me so much .. I get it. Some of their past winning shows .... nuh uh. I get the feeling anyone over about 30 or so, feels the same way.

I think Hate based on Success is purely a device of youth, inexperience and lack of maturity.

I really don't understand all the BD honks (sorry, but that's the best way to describe them) who think that the reason that we fans dislike (or strongly dislike in some cases) BD's show is because they are winning a lot.

Even if they were down in 8th place, I would still say, "Man, I really hate the narration in BD's show..." It's the CONTENT of the show that we dislike.

I just don't understand what the heck the judges are seeing in this show, especially as far as GE is concerned.

I feel like there is definitely a disconnect between what the audience in general likes and what the judges THINK the audience in general likes. I can only speak for myself, of course, but I see an awful lot of people just on these forums alone who feel the same way that I do, and this is only a tiny fraction of the DCI audience, as I'm sure will be pointed out.

Anyway, I like waffles. I'm tired and am going to bed.

Edited by Cardman
  • Like 1

Was there as much fan criticism of The Cavaliers in the early 00s as there is of BD today or The Cadets (when they have won with shows that were out of the mainstream)? Or did people generally like The Cavaliers when they were dominating?

It seems like during the early 00s, The Cavaliers shows were notably different in style from other corps, but probably not radically different like some have perceived BD and Cadet shows to be. I imagine there probably was some angst from people that were tired of them winning every year, and feeling like their shows were gimmicky (I loved them, for the record), but my guess is that there was not the "this will be the end of drum corps" rhetoric like there is now.

The fact that the internet was not nearly as pervasive during that period probably changed the dynamic a little too.

Is my assessment right, or were things about the same then as they are now?

oh they got some criticism yes. But then again, the shows were generally pleasing to many more fans than detractors, so it does seem lopsided.

I know for a factmyself and several others have scoffed at 02 Caviesbeing the greatest thing since sliced bread.