World Open Championship

Hi All

I'm doing some research on the annual championship shows of the 60's and early 70's. There is info out there on the American Legion Nationals, the CYO Nationals, and the VFW Nationals, as well as the beginning of DCI. Where did the the World Open Championships fit into this picture? Corpsreps has scores and dates, but I've not found much more about the history of this mainstay of the Drum Corps season. Is there a good source for information? Does anyone here have historical backround or stories to tell? I appreciate any and all help... :smile:

The World Open was created by Drum Corps News, and drew HUGE crowds in its day.

It certainly was one of the most important shows of each year.

In '72 they had the "DCI boycott", where the DCI charter member corps stayed away from the contest.

(This was because the WO would not use judges that were approved by the DCI corps.)

In '82 it affiliated with the Drum Corps East, and the contest was known as the World Open/Drum Corps East Championship.

Corpsreps doesn't show it, but the World Open/Drum Corps East continued through 1983 and 1984.

Edited by Northern Thunder

Hi All

I'm doing some research on the annual championship shows of the 60's and early 70's. There is info out there on the American Legion Nationals, the CYO Nationals, and the VFW Nationals, as well as the beginning of DCI. Where did the the World Open Championships fit into this picture? Corpsreps has scores and dates, but I've not found much more about the history of this mainstay of the Drum Corps season. Is there a good source for information? Does anyone here have historical backround or stories to tell? I appreciate any and all help... :smile:

The first WO was held in 1963 at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City, NJ ... Ray Samora, the editor of Drum Corps News and owner of Fleetwood Records was the mastermind behind the contest ... there are plenty of DCN articles describing its beginnings ... check out NanciD's hitorical website at Historical DC Publications ... check DCN issues from late 1962 and 1963 ...

Andy "I was at the 1st WO" Lisko

Hi All

Just in case you are interested...there is video of the 1971 World Open, taped by Charlie and Jackie Haas, on DVD at drunmcorpsvideos.com...I want to buy the entire show, right now I just have Garfield, though I have seen VHS tapes (6th generation copies...you can imagine the quality of THEM!) of many of the finalists.

It is B&W, but it is actually quite good quality.

Interesting...they had somewhat different sheets from the VFW...VFW had 10 points for GE...WO had 30. I don't recall a Cadence caption, nor do I recall Inspection, which may be how they got the extra 20 points.

Andy is right...look at NanciD's great history site for info on the WO. I recall reading (on her website) a letter to the editor of DCN by Don Angelica waaay back in the beginning wanting the 30 points for GE.

The first WO was held in 1963 at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City, NJ ... Ray Samora, the editor of Drum Corps News and owner of Fleetwood Records was the mastermind behind the contest ... there are plenty of DCN articles describing its beginnings ... check out NanciD's hitorical website at Historical DC Publications ... check DCN issues from late 1962 and 1963 ...

Andy "I was at the 1st WO" Lisko

"World Open":

The venues went from Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City NJ to Hedges & JFK Stadiums in Bridgeport Ct and finally to the olde Manning Bowl in Lynn MA. The contest became an absoulute Mecca for East Coast drum corps and their fans.

For the first two editions (1963 & 1964) there was a "Senior" World Open Championship held in conjunction with the junior show. It was won by the New York Skyliners in 1963 and Connecticut Hurricanes in 1964. Both corps did exibitions at the 1965 World Open's "Last Stand" in Bridgeport in 1965.

Elphaba (I was ALSO at the 1st WO)

"World Open":

The venues went from Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City NJ to Hedges & JFK Stadiums in Bridgeport Ct and finally to the olde Manning Bowl in Lynn MA. The contest became an absoulute Mecca for East Coast drum corps and their fans.

For the first two editions (1963 & 1964) there was a "Senior" World Open Championship held in conjunction with the junior show. It was won by the New York Skyliners in 1963 and Connecticut Hurricanes in 1964. Both corps did exibitions at the 1965 World Open's "Last Stand" in Bridgeport in 1965.

Elphaba (I was ALSO at the 1st WO)

Elphie ... Bridgeport had one more "last gasp ... er ... stand" Senior-wise when Samora reprised the Sr. WO at Kennedy Stadium in 1971 ... staged it as a Sunday afternoon show ...

Andy "and I was there for that one too" Lisko

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help. I am going through NanciD's website and finding lots of interesting and unusual sidebar material as well. It may be a few weeks before I can sift through it all. I was at the World Open in 1969 and 1973 and both were very memorable experiences. Has anyone written an article on the beginnings of the World Open and its history? Outside of DCN of course. Thanks again.

Just in case you are interested...there is video of the 1971 World Open, taped by Charlie and Jackie Haas, on DVD at drunmcorpsvideos.com...I want to buy the entire show, right now I just have Garfield, though I have seen VHS tapes (6th generation copies...you can imagine the quality of THEM!) of many of the finalists.

I saw that particular show...and I think that may have the most competitive show ever. Argonne came in 10th that night and came back later in hte season and won American Legion Nationals. Then you look at all the great corps that didn't make finals..wow.

Oscar

• 4 weeks later...

I saw that particular show...and I think that may have the most competitive show ever. Argonne came in 10th that night and came back later in hte season and won American Legion Nationals. Then you look at all the great corps that didn't make finals..wow.

Oscar

Can you imagine that in this day and age a show like that in 1971? There had to be about 50 Junior and Senior Corps competing that year! Plus that weekend in July was one of the most heavily contested like ... ever! The CYO Nationals in Lowel, The World Open in Lynn and then the Danny Thomas Invitational in Lawrence. What an awesome weekend and yes, although we did not make it to the finals (for some strange reason placing 16th in the prelims) The next day we placed 5th. Good luck on your research because Lynn, MA was the ticket BITD. Maybe a toss-up with Marion, OH for "Best Drum Corps Fans In the World" honors.

Plus that weekend in July was one of the most heavily contested like ... ever! The CYO Nationals in Lowel, The World Open in Lynn and then the Danny Thomas Invitational in Lawrence. What an awesome weekend

And that doesn't include the North American Invitational in Toronto, the day before CYO.

That lineup included:

Santa Clara

Troopers

Cavaliers

Madison

De La Salle

Blue Stars

Argonne Rebels

Toronto Optimists

• Like 1